IPS Med Services Conference -- What Value for 2nd Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted407021

Hey,

I'm a student member of the APA and they've been advertising the IPS conference in New Orleans this October to med students. Looking at the roster, this conference seems more geared toward practicing physicians and covers some very specific topics.

My questions are: what could a second year med student with an interest in psych gain from attending? Would this be more of a networking opportunity? And would attending be valuable as far as showing interest in the field for residency application further down the road?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
the IPS is the public and community psychiatry meeting of APA and focuses on mental health services so if you are interested in things like public psychiatry, integrated care, minority mental health, LGBTQ mental health, addictions, emergency psychiatry and so forth then it is a pretty good meeting to attend. Medical students attend - some will be presenting posters or in symposia/workshop, 10 students have received travel awards to attend expenses paid, and PsychSIGN has a meeting during IPS typically with program directors and residents discussing their programs with students. In the past there has always been a session on applying to residency. the American Association of Community Psychiatry holds a board meeting during it as well as a reception with free food and booze for all in attendance. Much less frenzied than the main APA meeting and the kind of folks that attend are pretty friendly. also NOLA is always fun.

If you are interested in these aspects of psychiatry, it would be a good meeting to attend. It would be a good networking opportunity. No, attending a conference is not going to add anything much to your CV unless you are presenting. I would regard it as padding/fluff if you added this to your CV just attending.

the IPS is the public and community psychiatry meeting of APA and focuses on mental health services so if you are interested in things like public psychiatry, integrated care, minority mental health, LGBTQ mental health, addictions, emergency psychiatry and so forth then it is a pretty good meeting to attend. Medical students attend - some will be presenting posters or in symposia/workshop, 10 students have received travel awards to attend expenses paid, and PsychSIGN has a meeting during IPS typically with program directors and residents discussing their programs with students. In the past there has always been a session on applying to residency. the American Association of Community Psychiatry holds a board meeting during it as well as a reception with free food and booze for all in attendance. Much less frenzied than the main APA meeting and the kind of folks that attend are pretty friendly. also NOLA is always fun.

If you are interested in these aspects of psychiatry, it would be a good meeting to attend. It would be a good networking opportunity. No, attending a conference is not going to add anything much to your CV unless you are presenting. I would regard it as padding/fluff if you added this to your CV just attending.
Thanks! I'm interested in psychiatry in general and I'm really looking for a clear picture of what it's like to be a psychiatrist, before clinical clerkships.

While I have lots of experience in primary care and even some in surgery as far as what the work is like, I've found it difficult to get a good idea of what that's like for a psychiatrist. So, idk if attending a conference for those already in practice would just be over my head seeing as I don't really have a foundational concept of the field.

Thanks! I'm interested in psychiatry in general and I'm really looking for a clear picture of what it's like to be a psychiatrist, before clinical clerkships.

While I have lots of experience in primary care and even some in surgery as far as what the work is like, I've found it difficult to get a good idea of what that's like for a psychiatrist. So, idk if attending a conference for those already in practice would just be over my head seeing as I don't really have a foundational concept of the field.
It will expose you to aspects of psychiatry that you won't see on your (usually inpatient-heavy) MS3 clerkship. If any of the stuff splik mentioned above sounds interesting, you'll probably learn quite a bit.

Reactions: 1 user