Iowa vs Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrastio24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am deciding between the University of Iowa and Hofstra in a few days. Neither school has given me any financial aid so that's not a factor. Here are some things I have thought about:

University of Iowa
Pros
  • Higher ranking, more established school
  • Decent teaching hospital
  • Possibly more opportunities for research given its higher NIH funding

Cons
  • Graded pre-clinical
  • Unsure about match list- seems to match to primarily Mid-West and lower tier institutions (maybe by preference but still worrisome)
  • Undesirable area/weather (would NOT like to stay for residency)

Hofstra
Pros
  • P/F preclinical (have been told it's a lot less stressful)
  • Close to NYC (big plus)
  • Better match list? (both location and reputation)
  • Interesting curriculum

Cons
  • Newer, less established school
  • Bad impression when I visited (did not like the school building or surrounding area)
  • Mandatory lectures

Summary: I am currently leaning towards Iowa because I am interested in academic medicine (neurology/internal medicine) and it seems more established. However, Hofstra's match list looks more desirable. I have also heard that Hofstra's faculty are incredibly supportive (from my cousin who's a Hofstra grad and speaks about it glowingly). Would appreciate any thoughts on my situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just be careful when looking at match lists to make your decision - they can be hard to interpret as a pre-med. I'm not really sure what made you think Iowa's match list is "worse" than Hofstra's. I just googled and found this years and there are a fair number of people who matched into top programs/competitive specialties.

I would just be careful when looking at match lists to make your decision - they can be hard to interpret as a pre-med. I'm not really sure what made you think Iowa's match list is "worse" than Hofstra's. I just googled and found this years and there are a fair number of people who matched into top programs/competitive specialties.
Well did you also look at Hofstra's match list and compare the two?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of area do you want to be in? Hofstra is 45 min from NYC which could be a plus for those who like that environment compared to Iowa City. At the interviews, which students did you vibe with more? I think hofstra would edge out for me based on location + P/F

Last edited:
Hmm... Hofstra's match list seems pretty average to me, about on the same level of Iowa except more difficult to interpret because of the small sample size. In all likelihood Iowa has the edge in terms of getting a good match. Curious what exactly you do not like about the weather? I never lived in the Midwest but just looking at the data online, Hempstead and Iowa city are pretty close with it being only slightly colder in Iowa.

I think Iowa is the better school for your career goals. Hofstra University as a whole just isn't as strong academically even though the hospital system has a good reputation. Combine that with the huge USNews rank difference (if project directors are unfamiliar with a school, I wouldn't be surprised if they checked here first), and the bad vibes you got from the area, I think Iowa is way better.

Also graded preclinical, while not ideal, is still less stressful IMO than mandatory classes. At least graded preclinical has some sort of benefit in terms of motivating yourself to study and standing out. Mandatory classes are just a drag.

Hofstra even beats out Iowa just on location.....Iowa City is the least diverse place you could live. NY is the place to be, especially if you want residency on the coast in the future

Also, P/F > Graded

This isn't true, and isn't cool to say. Iowa City is incredibly diverse, relative to most dwellings in the Midwest. Anyways, just wanted to add that Iowa is a terrific medical school and it also encompasses P/F classes as a part of its curriculum.

Hofstra even beats out Iowa just on location.....Iowa City is the least diverse place you could live. NY is the place to be, especially if you want residency on the coast in the future

Also, P/F > Graded

This also is not true. University of Iowa is a high ranked school and well known in academic medicine (in fact Iowa is much higher ranked than Hofstra). Most of their grads will stay in the midwest for residency by choice because most of them are from Iowa/the midwest. However they still matched plenty of students to the coasts. Just take a look at the match list.

Reactions: 1 user
Iowa. The program has a house system and programs that include teaching, even writing classes at the famed Iowa workshop.