IOL calcs for Post-LASIK pt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odieoh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you can weigh in on this-- I have a pt who is post-LASIK and needs cataract surgery. I was able to get ahold of his old pre-LASIK data, and I think I know the answer to my own question, but if anyone has input I would appreciate it.

The pt's pre-LASIK refractive error was +0.75 -3.50 x whatever. Notice the minus cyl. So, his spherical equivalent was minus, and in my mind that makes him, for the purpose of calc formulas, "post-myopic LASIK." I've run his numbers through the calculators both ways, for post myopic and post hyperopic, and the result is about 2D different.

Any of you have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if any of you can weigh in on this-- I have a pt who is post-LASIK and needs cataract surgery. I was able to get ahold of his old pre-LASIK data, and I think I know the answer to my own question, but if anyone has input I would appreciate it.

The pt's pre-LASIK refractive error was +0.75 -3.50 x whatever. Notice the minus cyl. So, his spherical equivalent was minus, and in my mind that makes him, for the purpose of calc formulas, "post-myopic LASIK." I've run his numbers through the calculators both ways, for post myopic and post hyperopic, and the result is about 2D different.

Any of you have experience with this?

His topography should tell you whether he is post-myopic or post-hyperopic LASIK (e.g. lots of central flattening in myopic lasik).

Yes, post myopic. Convert to plus cyl. -2.75 +3.50 x whatever. Besides the calcs, something I was skeptical about at first but has saved me several times is intraoperative aberrometry. I use ORA and it can be money for post refractive patients. Pretty straight forward to use and it pays for itself pretty fast.