Intimidated by nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true that us women prefer taller men, but it's only a plus aspect. If you're going to degrade yourself and women around you to a physical-only level then you should change that because you will always feel worthless. Believe it or not, we care more about personality, and that's proven by all the 10/10 women with 3/10 looking men (who aren't rich).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wrong. Unconsciously, you want a taller guy and you know it.
You say it's a "plus" but that "plus" is more than likely decisive if you'd date him or not. How many ex-bfs (if any) were shorter than you? Don't lie, because I'll know.

The 3/10 guys you mentioned have successfully mastered the mind game and would be consider self-actualized

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's true that us women prefer taller men, but it's only a plus aspect. If you're going to degrade yourself and women around you to a physical-only level then you should change that because you will always feel worthless. Believe it or not, we care more about personality, and that's proven by all the 10/10 women with 3/10 looking men (who aren't rich).

yep it's their pe..................rsonality lol

So, I've come to realize that I get intimated around two types of nurses and I'm afraid it is going to compromise patient care when I'm a resident (if I ever get that far).

1) Extremely good looking nurses. The 10/10 you find in pediatric ICU floors (i.e.: ex sorority girls on Bumble who never match with you). I loose my train of thought talking to really good looking women and it seems that the workplace is no exception to this. I guess I should just realize that these women only are interested in 6'2+ Chads with good jobs, and 5'9 manlet like myself can only admire.

2) The tall nurses who make themselves even taller wearing Danskos. I'm talking the 5'11+ ones who become giants. I don't like women towering over me.

--> extreme would be a tall 10/10 nurse (like the one I was in the elevator with today). I would prob have to not care for that patient anymore.

Anyone else having any problems like this and have any solutions?

I can totally relate. I've had rotations where I thought to myself, "is it required to be a 10/10 to be a nurse on this unit?" Even the patient care techs were 10s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Solution: don't think of the nurses as sex objects.

Just because seeing an attractive nurse makes you lose focus doesn't mean you think of them as sex objects. Many students are intimated by their attending, does that mean they are sex objects too?

I can totally relate. I've had rotations where I thought to myself, "is it required to be a 10/10 to be a nurse on this unit?" Even the patient care techs were 10s.
It all makes sense now..

IME, attractiveness and niceness of nurses is directly proportional. It's the ones who are unhappy with themselves who take out their frustration on everyone around them.

Of course, I have ~9/10 rugged good looks myself so ymmv.

Only if they're intimidated by their attending because of the subjective rating out of 10 they assigned him/her based on their attractiveness...

By definition, rating an individual's attractiveness is subjective. The body type I believe to be 10/10 doesn't meet the 6' 3" anorexic super model type from Hollywood.

This is why women like Amal Clooney are so rare.

It's not that you can't be beautiful and smart but rather men and women with significant beauty often gravitate towards professions where it's almost a mandatory requirement.

It also depends on your exposure; call them "medicine goggles" if you will but we've all seen very attractive men and women home if you place them in a different environment would be only average in locks.

I totally agree with you, but I have seen a real 10/10 living a normal, working life. And I don't get intimidated by women at all, nor do I objectify them, but I just had to stop for a second because I had never seen a woman that attractive IRL lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've come to realize that I get intimated around two types of nurses and I'm afraid it is going to compromise patient care when I'm a resident (if I ever get that far).

1) Extremely good looking nurses. The 10/10 you find in pediatric ICU floors (i.e.: ex sorority girls on Bumble who never match with you). I loose my train of thought talking to really good looking women and it seems that the workplace is no exception to this. I guess I should just realize that these women only are interested in 6'2+ Chads with good jobs, and 5'9 manlet like myself can only admire.

2) The tall nurses who make themselves even taller wearing Danskos. I'm talking the 5'11+ ones who become giants. I don't like women towering over me.

--> extreme would be a tall 10/10 nurse (like the one I was in the elevator with today). I would prob have to not care for that patient anymore.

A case of hospital goggles.

*Edit* Lol, I now see the incomparable winged scapula already posted this.

I totally agree with you, but I have seen a real 10/10 living a normal, working life. And I don't get intimidated by women at all, nor do I objectify them, but I just had to stop for a second because I had never seen a woman that attractive IRL lol.
Of course there are exceptions but I find it hard to believe that the OP is encountering 10/10 beautiful women frequently during his day. as you note, it's pretty rare.

Reactions: 5 users
Of course there are exceptions but I find it hard to believe that the OP is encountering 10/10 beautiful women frequently during his day. as you note, it's pretty rare.

Yeah, like I said I agree with your post. I only mentioned that because while 10s are almost universally not just regular people, it occasionally happens. Not likely that he's working in a hospital full of 10s though.

.....which is why I used the word "subjective." It's also not appropriate in a professional setting. Or any other setting, IMO, but that's a bit off the topic.
All humans either subconsciously or otherwise rate the looks of those around them. We can't help it, it's the way we're wired. You may not assign them a number, but they're getting that Halo Effect all the same.

Reactions: 3 users
@Winged Scapula
I agree with your point about nurses. I mean you can't really check out any women in a hospital setting anyways because they're all wearing scrubs or whatever loose fitting uniform.

To assign a woman a 10/10 rating would require a full body evaluation in various settings and times

You don't even need a good job, just be a Chad with the 10/10 face and you're golden. Height doesn't matter nearly as much. (I'm actually being serious)

Not sure if this is a troll post. A 3/10 guy would be incredibly ugly and a 10/10 woman would be 1 in several thousand attractive. Nonetheless, the hot girl ugly guy thing basically never happens. Even a 2 point difference is incredibly rare. Almost every couple in the west is equal in looks, even when money is involved the gap isn't that big...
Not rare at all. Even if, it is because there is too many men like OP and less truly confident men, and women will always prefer confidence over looks.

yea..no. Women prefer confidence over looks because the woman herself is very average looking and she's picking the guy with the best personality out of a bunch of (surprise) average looking guys. I've yet to know a single good looking girl who doesn't place a huge emphasis on the guy's face. As long as you have average social skills & confidence, you're golden.

I think your extreme lack of confidence is a bigger detriment to your dating prospects than your average height.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It's not height or confidence. It's OP's face that almost entirely determines his dating prospects. His confidence is a byproduct of his success with women. Assuming the likely scenario that OP has had average social skills, he would have gained (or lost) confidence based on success or lack of with women.

The smart thing to do is to go for women in your own league - someone equally as good looking as you. Height, body, career, money, status, confidence etc. mean very little in comparison to a guy's facial aesthetics. (And the endless examples of average looking girls stating looks arent #1 to them doesnt mean a thing)

It's not height or confidence. It's OP's face that almost entirely determines his dating prospects. His confidence is a byproduct of his success with women. Assuming the likely scenario that OP has had average social skills, he would have gained (or lost) confidence based on success or lack of with women.

The smart thing to do is to go for women in your own league - someone equally as good looking as you. Height, body, career, money, status, confidence etc. mean very little in comparison to a guy's facial aesthetics. (And the endless examples of average looking girls stating looks arent #1 to them doesnt mean a thing)

Reminded me of episode of Oprah long ago when they did a survey of women and who they would date. They had three pictures of men of various looks 1. hot 2. normal 3. ugly (don't mean to offend keeping it simple). When given no information they obviously picked based on looks. When they gave an arbitrary salary that each of these people make, with the hottest guy making the lowest and the ugly guy making the highest, the popularity vote totally changed. And surprisingly enough the guy that ugly had the highest ranking and the hottest guy had the lowest.

Not saying that wealth is the number one factor but what I am saying is do not disregard height, money, status, body etc. They play a larger role in the dating game than you think...

There's a huge difference between subconsciously or consciously thinking that someone is attractive, and purposefully rating a professional colleague on a scale out of 10 and allowing that number to shape your interactions with them at work, particularly to the point that OP is "afraid it is going to compromise patient care." I'm also reading this post in the context of OP's previous posts which I think many would agree display some problematic attitudes about women. I don't care if OP thinks some nurse is cute, I'm concerned about the tone of disrespect towards women that underpins their comments in various threads I've seen over time. And quite frankly, I see this attitude on SDN far more often than I'd like to.
He's intimidated by high numbers though. He's a low number guy. Big guys probably intimidate him too.
tumblr_nkr6h7m3JT1uo15q5o1_500.gif

1) The constant self-deprecation is tiring; if you really feel this way, please get some help. If not, stop trolling.

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists
Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response

Many of us are surprised you put up with Failedatlife's obvious trolling.
But I suppose it is entertaining even if we are laughing at OP expense. That doesnt seem quite right

the tone of this thread seems more social than educational... I wonder if a mod will put it in the Lounge

I would prefer comments on the medical student forums be more academic and applicable to our situation but...it seems many of them are just rants and puff ball questions... should I buy a Mac vs Windows? should I buy a sports car? SMH

Last edited:

But I suppose it is entertaining even if we are laughing at OP expense. That doesnt seem quite right
Surprised but not enough to report and provide evidence of trolling?

Look we don't just ban people because we feel like it; maybe he's trolling maybe he's just being annoying. I don't know and prefer to give benefit of doubt where I can.

Reactions: 3 users
Reminded me of episode of Oprah long ago when they did a survey of women and who they would date. They had three pictures of men of various looks 1. hot 2. normal 3. ugly (don't mean to offend keeping it simple). When given no information they obviously picked based on looks. When they gave an arbitrary salary that each of these people make, with the hottest guy making the lowest and the ugly guy making the highest, the popularity vote totally changed. And surprisingly enough the guy that ugly had the highest ranking and the hottest guy had the lowest.

Not saying that wealth is the number one factor but what I am saying is do not disregard height, money, status, body etc. They play a larger role in the dating game than you think...
Of course they all play a role, life is dynamic and certainly not linear. But the only place to see actual proof of what counts is in the real world. You can look among your peers, colleagues, the bar, shopping mall, gym, scroll through instagram and virtually everyone is equal in looks. There's always the one odd exception but that isn't the rule. Its like carribean MD students who match into competitive fields. Certainly happens... but rarely.

As far as the money argument, I've lived in an upper class neighborhood mostly and known endless drs/lawyers/businessmen etc. You can make a judgement on how important money is by looking at their partners.

As long as you make average money, aren't too short or fat, can hold a half decent convo... then your face is largely what matters.

I would prefer comments on the medical student forums be more academic and applicable to our situation but...it seems many of them are just rants and puff ball questions... who I buy a Mac vs Windows? should I buy a sports car? SMH

Here's the citation:
Trolls just want to have fun - ScienceDirect

Of course they all play a role, life is dynamic and certainly not linear. But the only place to see actual proof of what counts is in the real world. You can look among your peers, colleagues, the bar, shopping mall, gym, scroll through instagram and virtually everyone is equal in looks. There's always the one odd exception but that isn't the rule. Its like carribean MD students who match into competitive fields. Certainly happens... but rarely.

As far as the money argument, I've lived in an upper class neighborhood mostly and known endless drs/lawyers/businessmen etc. You can make a judgement on how important money is by looking at their partners.

As long as you make average money, aren't too short or fat, can hold a half decent convo... then your face is largely what matters.
When you look around your gym, bar, and mall everyone is equal in looks? Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Reactions: 4 users
When you look around your gym, bar, and mall everyone is equal in looks? Are you being deliberately obtuse?
In context, that means almost all couples are looksmatched. The guy and the girl are more or less equally attractive as each other (and height/body are small factors in that attractiveness).

I find it hard to believe that in 2017, society isn't willing to admit that facial aesthetics is the (obvious) most important factor in dating for men (not saying other factors don't matter either).

In context, that means almost all couples are looksmatched. The guy and the girl are more or less equally attractive as each other (and height/body are small factors in that attractiveness).

I find it hard to believe that in 2017, society isn't willing to admit that facial aesthetics is the (obvious) most important factor in dating for men (not saying other factors don't matter either).
....take a break from the internet. I'm actually unsure if I'm talking to someone with a normally developed brain.

Yes, there are social experiments that I have seen where if all that is shown is the partner and nothing else, then the will go with the partner that suits them in looks. Some will aim slightly higher or settle for something lower.

However, that is if you take everything away. If you add in wealth, personality, height, weight, etc. Then you'd be surprised at how less similar in 'beauty' each partner is with those other factors in play. This is what I'm trying to get at.

....take a break from the internet. I'm actually unsure if I'm talking to someone with a normally developed brain.
lolwat

Yes, there are social experiments that I have seen where if all that is shown is the partner and nothing else, then the will go with the partner that suits them in looks. Some will aim slightly higher or settle for something lower.

However, that is if you take everything away. If you add in wealth, personality, height, weight, etc. Then you'd be surprised at how less similar in 'beauty' each partner is with those other factors in play. This is what I'm trying to get at.
The problem with your statement is that when two people meet, they decide right away whether or not they are sexually attracted to the other person (real life vs. studies). No one walks around with a sign saying they make X$, or have Y job etc. If you're attractive facially to the other side, then your personality and career trajectory and so on will be factored in. Hence you are seen as more attractive (or less).
That means someone good looking who has a crap personality can easily be rejected. However it doesn't really go the other way because an attractive girl won't settle for someone when she has endless better options. The type of girls OP is referring to get a ridiculous number of offers/approaches from male model tier guys who in many cases also have great personalities and decent jobs.

I mean would you really want to be with someone who doesn't find you physically appealing anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.