Intimidated by nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

failedatlife

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've come to realize that I get intimated around two types of nurses and I'm afraid it is going to compromise patient care when I'm a resident (if I ever get that far).

1) Extremely good looking nurses. The 10/10 you find in pediatric ICU floors (i.e.: ex sorority girls on Bumble who never match with you). I loose my train of thought talking to really good looking women and it seems that the workplace is no exception to this. I guess I should just realize that these women only are interested in 6'2+ Chads with good jobs, and 5'9 manlet like myself can only admire.

2) The tall nurses who make themselves even taller wearing Danskos. I'm talking the 5'11+ ones who become giants. I don't like women towering over me.

--> extreme would be a tall 10/10 nurse (like the one I was in the elevator with today). I would prob have to not care for that patient anymore.

Anyone else having any problems like this and have any solutions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
409.gif

Reactions: 41 users
I heard most of the hot nurses don't date med students with USMLE scores lower than 240... Your chances look slim buddy.

Reactions: 36 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I've come to realize that I get intimated around two types of nurses and I'm afraid it is going to compromise patient care when I'm a resident (if I ever get that far).

1) Extremely good looking nurses. The 10/10 you find in pediatric ICU floors (i.e.: ex sorority girls on Bumble who never match with you). I loose my train of thought talking to really good looking women and it seems that the workplace is no exception to this. I guess I should just realize that these women only are interested in 6'2+ Chads with good jobs, and 5'9 manlet like myself can only admire.

2) The tall nurses who make themselves even taller wearing Danskos. I'm talking the 5'11+ ones who become giants. I don't like women towering over me.

--> extreme would be a tall 10/10 nurse (like the one I was in the elevator with today). I would prob have to not care for that patient anymore.

So ignoring OP, what nurses do ya'll like best? My favorite are the experienced really nice ones who know they can make our life hell if they want but almost anticipate our needs and know the attendings better than we do at this point and give us pointers. I find these on the ICU more often than the floors. The ones I like the least are the grumpy ones who seem burnt out who are just angry that you have questions for them and will eat medical students for breakfast.

Reactions: 3 users

I don't know... maybe see them as people, instead of numbers? Just a thought....

Reactions: 18 users
So you are afraid of beautiful nurses and tall nurses... Target the North East for residency. Definitely stay away from Texas and Florida.

Reactions: 11 users
So you are afraid of beautiful nurses and tall nurses... Target the North East for residency. Definitely stay away from Texas and Florida.
MGH has fine, fine blonde nurses. I swear its like its in their hiring criteria.

Reactions: 5 users
Get bigger Danskos

Reactions: 23 users
Switch places with me, mine have been quite the opposite :(

Sounds like you need to carry more patients. Wayyyyy too much time on your hands.

Also, sounds like you need yourself a girlfriend (or a second girlfriend if you already have one).

Reactions: 6 users
the tone of this thread seems more social than educational... I wonder if a mod will put it in the Lounge

Reactions: 1 users
"pediatric ICU" "lose train of thought"

This can only turn out well.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
somewhere I have a lengthy post that describes how in residency, you will likely be so worked into the bone you will lose zest for almost all life activities despite continuing many of them

sex is the most expendable compared to sleep, urination, thirst, eating, and goes out the window pretty early on

the rest you are biologically programmed to do about once every 48 hours at least on average, so you will still do them despite losing any desire to do them

it seems weird that it works that way, #burnout

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, Lord Vader. You will have long dry spells.
As you might imagine, I have my ear to the ground on other high libido residents.
You will have times that you are too tired for sex and have enough energy to feel something about that.
Even non-impotent impotent frustration and thoughts about sex is feelings something about sex.....
The "better" times are when you are so tired you miss, missing sex.
You don't feel bad in this case, except that maybe you should?
You recognize this is off but you're tired and a little glad to just go to sleep or watch TV.
and THEN
Now you muse that you are so tired that are you grateful you don't have to feel anything about it at all.
It just shuts off, like a lot of feelings and drives you once had.
Where once this was frustrating, angry, sad, now you are.... relieved?
You can't really place it, but that's OK it doesn't bother you.
Now you can "enjoy" pleasures like being alone on your couch for 18 hrs.
Unless you're married. Now you have one more person that wants something from you that you don't have the energy to give to and can disappoint, just like your work day.
Hm, enjoyment vs absence of discomfort. This is all getting so fuzzy.
It's weird that you can look at this and remember feelings without feeling any.

I think this is called depersonalization, but I'm too burnt out and tired of talking about it to remember why it matters.

TLDR:
Don't worry you'll be so busy learning intern year! Everyone figures it out as they go! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried growing a pair? Hell, one of them might even like you if you quit crying in your moms basement for 4 hours per day.

Reactions: 7 users
7/10

I have been lucky with a lot of 8+/10 nurses (even when I was a nurse myself) if you know what I mean; I guess being 6'3" helps...

I have been lucky with a lot of 8+/10 nurses (even when I was a nurse myself) if you know what I mean; I guess being 6'3" helps...

Cool story bro

Reactions: 27 users
Solution:Refrain from objectifying women.

Also, male nurses exist, OP.

Can you post the specific journal entry you have for these interactions?

I guess I should just realize that these women only are interested in 6'2+ Chads with good jobs, and 5'9 manlet like myself can only admire.

Try this:

Reactions: 9 users
wow you really gotta work on that self-esteem

Being a smaller dude and having women taller than you sucks...

In reality, 10/10s usually do go for Chads/Tyrones but you can still play your cards right and try to get lucky even while being a Timothy

I would advise casting out a wide net of nurses you are interested in and play the game of chance. 1 of 10 is still one and if you cast an even wider net, the statistics are on your side

Also, tall women like taller guys. That's a fact and if people say personality is more important, they're lying or delusional. So you have to make the taller girl feel like she needs you. It's all a mind game

Last edited:
1) The constant self-deprecation is tiring; if you really feel this way, please get some help. If not, stop trolling.
2) "10/10" women (or men) are not nurses. They are actresses or models, in almost all cases. Your scale needs adjusting.
3) 5'9" is not short; its within range of average height. You've been told this before. Women aren't avoiding you because of your height, its the attitude.
4) There's a problem if you are so distracted by a beautiful nurse, that you cannot focus on the sick patient you're encharged to care for.

Reactions: 27 users
It's true that us women prefer taller men, but it's only a plus aspect. If you're going to degrade yourself and women around you to a physical-only level then you should change that because you will always feel worthless. Believe it or not, we care more about personality, and that's proven by all the 10/10 women with 3/10 looking men (who aren't rich).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users

You didn't actually mean to type the word "manlet" did you?

Reactions: 8 users
You didn't actually mean to type the word "manlet" did you?

He did. He's probably surfed all of r/short and identifies with the plight of all the 5'-5-3" dudes and attributes that to his lack of success in the dating world.

Last edited:
It's true that us women prefer taller men, but it's only a plus aspect. If you're going to degrade yourself and women around you to a physical-only level then you should change that because you will always feel worthless. Believe it or not, we care more about personality, and that's proven by all the 10/10 women with 3/10 looking men (who aren't rich).

Yeahhh. This is really rare. If non existent. Assuming you're also disqualifying for fame/royalty/power.

Yeahhh. This is really rare. If non existent. Assuming you're also disqualifying for fame/royalty/power.

Not rare at all. Even if, it is because there is too many men like OP and less truly confident men, and women will always prefer confidence over looks.

Suggestion:
Get a Tinder account. Doesn't have to be totally representative of yourself, but enough you could envision yourself when viewing.

Come up with the most ludicrous pick-up lines. They don't have to be good. They just need to work. It's about practice. Practice practice practice. It's a confidence building exercise.

Apply it. Titrate to effect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I have a few 5'8-5'9 friends that are dating hot tall women. It's all about the attitude bud. Confidence, intelligence, humor, genuine interest in the person. Hell, even your 'intimidated by your beauty' look could work for you, not against you, but only if you use it right and don't go overboard.
And stop calling yourself a 'manlet'.
Your manliness is not defined by your height, so get out of your shell and go get yourself a 10/10 girlfriend

I think your extreme lack of confidence is a bigger detriment to your dating prospects than your average height.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

During my gen surg years , when it came to interacting with nurses in the various wards, I stayed way under the radar and kept nose to the ground.

Try taking sex out of the equation. Will clear the mind and make you a better, more objective clinician.

Great thread dude. Here's an idea- just do your job well, act knowledgeable, have a sense of humor, and they'll be impressed. You'll feel more confident around them, and you'll stop caring so much about your looks because you'll be focusing on stuff that actually matters in the hospital.

I hope we work in the same hospital. I wanna page you at 2 am for a refill of colace.

Reactions: 6 users
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
1) The constant self-deprecation is tiring; if you really feel this way, please get some help. If not, stop trolling.
2) "10/10" women (or men) are not nurses. They are actresses or models, in almost all cases. Your scale needs adjusting.
3) 5'9" is not short; its within range of average height. You've been told this before. Women aren't avoiding you because of your height, its the attitude.
4) There's a problem if you are so distracted by a beautiful nurse, that you cannot focus on the sick patient you're encharged to care for.
:thumbup:

Attachments

• thumbup[1].gif
    thumbup[1].gif
    958 bytes · Views: 57
  • thumbup[1].gif
    thumbup[1].gif
    958 bytes · Views: 57

Spot on. I particularly like #2

Spot on. I particularly like #2
This is why women like Amal Clooney are so rare.

It's not that you can't be beautiful and smart but rather men and women with significant beauty often gravitate towards professions where it's almost a mandatory requirement.

It also depends on your exposure; call them "medicine goggles" if you will but we've all seen very attractive men and women whomif you place them in a different environment would be only average in looks.

Last edited:
Not rare at all. Even if, it is because there is too many men like OP and less truly confident men, and women will always prefer confidence over looks.

It's not like either of us can prove our point really. Haven't seen too many entry level drone workers that are fat/balding snatching 10s. I agree with your and the other women's point that personality is extremely important (probably the most). I just think it's important not swing the pendulum too far back with hyperbole. A lot of factors matter for snatching dimes. Personality, fitness, attractiveness, money, etc. Not trying to take away from your point, just qualifying.

It's not like either of us can prove our point really. Haven't seen too many entry level drone workers that are fat/balding snatching 10s. I agree with your and the other women's point that personality is extremely important (probably the most). I just think it's important not swing the pendulum too far back with hyperbole. A lot of factors matter for snatching dimes. Personality, fitness, attractiveness, money, etc. Not trying to take away from your point, just qualifying.

I can prove it because I'm a human, I don't think any human wants to be around another human who doesn't respect himself no matter how attractive they are.

I can prove it because I'm a human, I don't think any human wants to be around another human who doesn't respect himself no matter how attractive they are.

Sorry, you're wrong. According to jw3600, you're not a human, you're a number, to be rated from 1-10, like a pain scale. A 10 is biologically incapable of being attracted to a fat, balding drone (the man gets word descriptors, not the woman). Come on, it's science, with numbers, it can't be wrong.

....did you read my post? How in the hell did I imply respect isn't important?

....did you read my post? How in the hell did I imply respect isn't important?

Well you stated you're not seeing any "fat" guys snatching "10's" but we're talking about things men can't help such as height and face etc.

Part of being attractive is you gotta respect your body and take care of it (so eating healthy and working out) which ties back to what I was saying earlier about self-respect. As for being bald, hey some women like that (especially with a beard). And entry level job is no problem just as long as we know you're working towards your fullest potential and don't plan on being entry level forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.