Interviewing for Retail If Residency Is Your Goal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelp103

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to obtain a residency, but I also currently work for a chain retail store as an intern and was asked to schedule an interview for a pharmacist position. How do I respond if I am asked if I plan to pursue residency? This is a new manager I have never met before (my last manager claimed he would hire me even if my goal was residency). I don't want to lie, but I am concerned about being honest and not receiving and offer. If I don't match, I don't want to be high and dry without a job.

Members don't see this ad.

Say something like like;
I'm unsure; however, I know I enjoy working for [Chain] and can see myself as a practicing pharmacist here.

Look, if you get a residency, there will be dozens of people that the GM can hire. Always look out for yourself first.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a 4th year pharmacy student and I work as an intern for a pharmacy chain. I haven't recieved any offer from my DM about an interview and I keep reading many people from other chains like CVS are doing the grad intern interview now. I am planning to contact her. Is it okay to contact DM to set up an interview. I am confused on how to go about this? Any tips are greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 4th year pharmacy student and I work as an intern for a pharmacy chain. I haven't recieved any offer from my DM about an interview and I keep reading many people from other chains like CVS are doing the grad intern interview now. I am planning to contact her. Is it okay to contact DM to set up an interview. I am confused on how to go about this? Any tips are greatly appreciated
It probably depends on the chain. I worked for Walmart, and I didn't get an email about grad intern positions until mid January. They tried to match people with desired work location and then sent out follow up emails in February looking to fill spots that were still open.

Everyone I'm talking to that's going to apply for a residency (myself included) will be interviewing/have already interviewed for retail though we'll be trying for a residency. :) Deep down, most people in retail know it isn't everyone's first choice. You just gotta act like it is when you're interviewing ;P

I had an APPE student tell me that even if you get an offer, it's non-binding for both parties- meaning if you match you can walk away, but at the same time, you aren't really even guaranteed a store/float position when you graduate (though most do if they were in fact offered)

This was a couple of years ago, and I'm sure there are geographic/corporate chain variations

Say something like like;
I'm unsure; however, I know I enjoy working for [Chain] and can see myself as a practicing pharmacist here.

Look, if you get a residency, there will be dozens of people that the GM can hire. Always look out for yourself first.

I like this answer^. I mentioned during my interview that I was keeping my options open and haven't ruled out anything yet (especially since I don't graduate until May). Also if you end up applying to other chains, I would recommend editting your CV so that it looks like you're interested in a retail job (i.e. lots of research on your CV isn't going to help in retail). Someone at my current rotation site listed that she's getting her Masters in Pharmacometrics and hasn't gotten any callbacks while someone else in her class were getting offers even though he wasn't that great of a student. Our guess was that the hiring managers knew that she wasn't going to stay with them if another offer came her way.

How do I respond if I am asked if I plan to pursue residency? This is a new manager I have never met before (my last manager claimed he would hire me even if my goal was residency).

Tell them you are considering doing a community residency. If you don't get a residency, no big deal, you can work retail. If you get a hospital residency, you can say that you weren't accepted to any community residencies, so you decided to do a hospital residency (you don't have to tell them that the reason you weren't accepted to any community residencies, is that you didn't apply to any......also this only works if you retail chain doesn't have a community residency, most do know, although there is an extremely limited number of applicants they accept. )

I have a second face to face interview with a chain pharmacy. I am applying for residency as well. I am going to attend the interview anyways. And I am pretty sure they are going to ask me if I am planning to apply for residency or not. Could someone please word it out for me how I should answer that question. I read the posts and many of them mention to say I am keeping my options open. But during my first interview I mentioned to the interviewer that I am applying for residency but I am open to options, he gave a weired look. So I dont know. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a second face to face interview with a chain pharmacy. I am applying for residency as well. I am going to attend the interview anyways. And I am pretty sure they are going to ask me if I am planning to apply for residency or not. Could someone please word it out for me how I should answer that question. I read the posts and many of them mention to say I am keeping my options open. But during my first interview I mentioned to the interviewer that I am applying for residency but I am open to options, he gave a weired look. So I dont know. Any help would be appreciated.

I think explaining that you are considering residency is important. You CAN always lie (so long as they are not asking you to sign a binding contract) but be aware that can burn bridges in the future should you end up backing out. The safest answer in that situation (in my opinion) is, I am willing to accept an offer without signing an agreement but please understand I am pursuing residency and if I match (binding agreement), I will have to back out of an offer.

Employers encounter this every year. I am sure most understand (although I'm sure some would blacklist you at the mention of residency). You will not be the first nor the last. If you are concerned you won't get a residency for whatever reason, it may be better to never mention the residency. Just again, be aware of that potential to burn bridges.

Bottom line is there is NO right answer. YOU have to determine based on your relationship with the company what the best option is. In my case, I worked for a chain for 5 years, was good friends with the recruiter and primary hiring manager. I explicitly told them my interest in retail AND my intent to pursue residency. They explained they could not offer a full time position but would keep a part time position open for me regardless of whether I matched or not. I ended up matching and have never looked back.