Interviewing for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sophia88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started interviewing for jobs (mainly at group practices) and was recently caught off guard by some tough questions I hadn't really prepared for. I couldn't find much here regarding preparing for these type of interviews. Any advice would be great! Also I know there have already been some threads discussing this but I'd appreciate input on what I should ask about as well! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's strange, wasn't my experience at all. Nice thing about being so educated and highly trained is that once in residency all tough interviews are in your rearview (minus maybe big time academic center, but then mostly just discussing reasearch, which you'd be passionate about anyway). For private practice/multispecialty, would think interview mostly just to assess if you liked the area and weren't crazy/would be a good match with culture.

I just started interviewing for jobs (mainly at group practices) and was recently caught off guard by some tough questions I hadn't really prepared for. I couldn't find much here regarding preparing for these type of interviews. Any advice would be great! Also I know there have already been some threads discussing this but I'd appreciate input on what I should ask about as well! Thanks!

My advice is probably a bit different so you may want to ask around before employing it.

I think the games should stop when it comes to employment. It should be a mutually beneficial arrangement and I find people who ask annoying things like, "What is your biggest weakness" or "Tell me why I should hire you over Applicant X" at a job interview after I've already jumped through the rigorous hoops of college, med school, internship, residency, and fellowship interviews are typically people I do not want to work for or work with.

Obviously this type of attitude can depend based on where you are applying for jobs (jobs in desirable areas can get away with treating applicants poorly)

But I've found the best jobs are often found via word of mouth. The interview process is almost an opportunity for the practice to show off and demonstrate how great they are and how happy their physicians are as opposed to trying to run an applicant through a gauntlet of difficult and awkward questions.

I've walked out of job interviews and cancelled flights to interviews when I caught even a whiff of this kind of behavior and I think it has worked out for the best for me. Please do double check around as I do realize this is on the extreme end of things.

More important than the interview I've found is asking a practice if you can have the contact information of the last few physicians who have left the group. I find that can be even more telling than what the departed physicians have to say (obviously it will be negatively-tinged for the most part since they've left the group). If a practice is very hesitant to reveal that info, it tells you something. I've interviewed at some great practices and they provide the information and courteously explain why the relationship did not work out (sometimes as benign as having to move for a spouse, other times they admit that staffing issues frustrated the doc but they were still very cordial and respectful in discussing the issue. I would also beware a practice that trashes every departed physician)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the input!

My advice is probably a bit different so you may want to ask around before employing it.

I think the games should stop when it comes to employment. It should be a mutually beneficial arrangement and I find people who ask annoying things like, "What is your biggest weakness" or "Tell me why I should hire you over Applicant X" at a job interview after I've already jumped through the rigorous hoops of college, med school, internship, residency, and fellowship interviews are typically people I do not want to work for or work with.

Obviously this type of attitude can depend based on where you are applying for jobs (jobs in desirable areas can get away with treating applicants poorly)

But I've found the best jobs are often found via word of mouth. The interview process is almost an opportunity for the practice to show off and demonstrate how great they are and how happy their physicians are as opposed to trying to run an applicant through a gauntlet of difficult and awkward questions.

I've walked out of job interviews and cancelled flights to interviews when I caught even a whiff of this kind of behavior and I think it has worked out for the best for me. Please do double check around as I do realize this is on the extreme end of things.

More important than the interview I've found is asking a practice if you can have the contact information of the last few physicians who have left the group. I find that can be even more telling than what the departed physicians have to say (obviously it will be negatively-tinged for the most part since they've left the group). If a practice is very hesitant to reveal that info, it tells you something. I've interviewed at some great practices and they provide the information and courteously explain why the relationship did not work out (sometimes as benign as having to move for a spouse, other times they admit that staffing issues frustrated the doc but they were still very cordial and respectful in discussing the issue. I would also beware a practice that trashes every departed physician)

I think you're looking at it backwards. Once you're a dermatologist, you're the one who is in demand. Basically it's you who is interviewing them. There are exceptions, of course, but if we're talking about getting a job as a general dermatologist (not dermpath or Mohs), then they need you more than you need them.

Reactions: 1 user