interview with low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i have a sub 500 mcat and got an interview. The thing is i was didnt take biochem before i took the mcat, i know dumb, but i wanted to know if i should bring it up in my interview that i know my mcat sint great but that i feel after having taken biochem that and a few other classes that the score i received isnt indicative of my ability, or should i just not mention it all if not asked about it

Members don't see this ad.

don't bring it up unless you're asked! Otherwise it'll appear super random. If you addressed it in a secondary question too you should be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
so i have a sub 500 mcat and got an interview. The thing is i was didnt take biochem before i took the mcat, i know dumb, but i wanted to know if i should bring it up in my interview that i know my mcat sint great but that i feel after having taken biochem that and a few other classes that the score i received isnt indicative of my ability, or should i just not mention it all if not asked about it
Where is the ii

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always been coached not to bring up negatives unless asked. Though I can see how you feel you need to assuage any concerns about your performance. I suspect it's really more important you hear from adcoms here rather than premeds who saw someone on SDN with similar stats get accepted.

Maybe @Goro would have better advice? Or @gyngyn (MD but im sure it's not.so different that side) if he is still gone?

I have always been coached not to bring up negatives unless asked. Though I can see how you feel you need to assuage any concerns about your performance. I suspect it's really more important you hear from adcoms here rather than premeds who saw someone on SDN with similar stats get accepted.

Maybe @Goro would have better advice? Or @gyngyn (MD but im sure it's not.so different that side) if he is still gone?
ya thats exactly what i mean @Goro and @gyngyn what are your thoughts if you dont mind me asking

What if they ask you "What would you say is the weakest part of your application, and how would you improve it if you didn't get accepted this cycle?"

Well that would go under the "unless they ask about it" umbrella now wouldn't it........

Reactions: 1 user

Saying you might have done better is a pretty hollow statement, and it would fall on deaf ears if someone said it to me. You either need to retake it and actually do better, or acknowledge your score imo.