Interview Impressions 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jefferson
The program obviously has excellent leadership and structure. The chairman and program director both talked to us extensively to start the interview day and really showed how much progress there has been in the program over the last few years. As far as big names, Jefferson really punches above its weight. They have leading radiologists in almost ever field, with very impressive numbers of presentations at RSNA and other conferences. They have a major medical enterprise and very high volume despite being in a city with a number of other hospitals. The location of Jefferson is pretty cool - the campus is located downtown in the heart of Philly and has a lot of great lunch and dinner spots surrounding the buildings. The main hospital, as well as the Neuro, MSK, and ENT buildings are all right there within a few block radius. Moonlighting opportunities are also right there. The actual radiology facilities in the main building seemed a bit basic. Nothing spectacular there. One of the big downsides to this program was that there was a long commute >1 to the Pediatrics rotations. They do those somewhere in Delaware I think. Another major downside for me was that I just didn't get the same feeling of camaraderie amongst the residents as I did at other places. It seemed more 'cliquey,' and there were definitely quite a few residents who we saw at the noon conference who made no effort to meet applicants. It did seem like some of them hang out with each other, and I certainly liked some of the residents, but it kid of lacked the 'community' of other programs. Maybe I caught them on a bad day or something. All in all, it seemed like an excellent place to get training and be springboarded to a top tier fellowship/career, but it maybe won't be right at the top of my rank list due to the above reasons. Still, I think I will probably rank it pretty high.

I got similar "high school" vibes from some Wisconsin residents and U Chicago residents (though to a lesser extent), where a couple of the residents at the interview dinner and day of interview seemed to be obsessed with their cell phones, texting and even whispering stuff to one another to the exclusion of others.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
who picks places because they want to do research with 1 faculty? that's like setting yourself up to be disappointed. people move, life happens. I would never base my decision on 1 member of the faculty of a program. entrepreneurship with stanford I understand.

this is the same guy that considers Yale rads #1, so i'd take it with a grain of salt.

who picks places because they want to do research with 1 faculty? that's like setting yourself up to be disappointed. people move, life happens. I would never base my decision on 1 member of the faculty of a program. entrepreneurship with stanford I understand.

I agree with what you're saying, but I've heard from at least advisors that they chose their residency based upon who they were working with/wanted to work with.
this is the same guy that considers Yale rads #1, so i'd take it with a grain of salt.

Ah, you really don't like Yale, do you? Haha. I don't think Yale is #1 for diagnostic radiology, but I do like the med school. It's probably #15 for DR, and #8 for IR. Yale has the Interventional Oncology dream team now (Kevin Kim and Jeff Geschwind), so it'll likely move up even further in IR rankings. Yale's radiology department is also very friendly (Merry Christmas):

Two other things about Stanford - their IR has three new spots; they aren't taking those spots out of the existing DR cohort, and they are the only IR program I know of that requires a surgical preliminary year. The others strongly suggest it, but don't require it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got similar "high school" vibes from some
Wisconsin residents and U Chicago residents (though to a lesser extent), where a couple of the residents at the interview dinner and day of interview seemed to be obsessed with their cell phones, texting and even whispering stuff to one another to the exclusion of others.

LOL. The disgruntled Wisconsin resident strikes again. Sure you're not also MR80, whose account was created a month ago and who just happened to personally attack both the Wisconsin chief and former Wisconsin med student who volunteered their identities and who previously posted on this thread? So subtle. Maybe you should sit the next couple plays out, Champ.

Reactions: 1 user
LOL. The disgruntled Wisconsin resident strikes again. Sure you're not also MR80, whose account was created a month ago and who just happened to personally attack both the Wisconsin chief and former Wisconsin med student who volunteered their identities and who previously posted on this thread? So subtle. Maybe you should sit the next couple plays out, Champ.

I don't think anything that person said was anything close to the Wisconsin rant that got posted earlier in the thread. Also, there's a few places I've been to where some of the residents were just messing around on their phones the whole time or only speaking with other residents, it happens; it's not like the program is exempt from criticism just because someone else went on a long rant about it.

As to the notion in another post that Hopkins emphasized research at clinical expense, I didn't get those vibes at all when I was there. That was actually something I was nervous about on the interview day because I don't have much, but nobody seemed to mind; outside of me asking directly about research opportunities it never really got brought up.

Wisconsin residents and U Chicago residents (though to a lesser extent), where a couple of the residents at the interview dinner and day of interview seemed to be obsessed with their cell phones, texting and even whispering stuff to one another to the exclusion of others.

This is a place for medical students to share their experiences, not a place for you to continue to fabricate stories because you're bored on the weekends. It's already been established that you're a disgruntled resident, and no one reading this thread has forgotten that...

Last edited:

Last edited:
I don't think anything that person said was anything close to the Wisconsin rant that got posted earlier in the thread. Also, there's a few places I've been to where some of the residents were just messing around on their phones the whole time or only speaking with other residents, it happens; it's not like the program is exempt from criticism just because someone else went on a long rant about it.

As to the notion in another post that Hopkins emphasized research at clinical expense, I didn't get those vibes at all when I was there. That was actually something I was nervous about on the interview day because I don't have much, but nobody seemed to mind; outside of me asking directly about research opportunities it never really got brought up.

Just passing on what I heard from residents at my home institution and from other folks on the interview trail last year. I personally though Hopkins and Stanford were awesome. Didn't interview at Cornell, but have heard a lot of good things about them as well. All three are amazing programs, but they have the reputation among a decent number of current residents as places where you can coast if you want.

Stanford was known as a program where residents could skate by with minimal effort. It was grouped with Hopkins and Cornell as programs where research was emphasized at the expense of clinical training. This is in contrast to programs like UCSF and MGH where research and clinical training are both excellent.

This may have changed in the past few years. My knowledge is based off of comments from former residents at these programs and my research mentor, who was a fellow at Stanford and felt like the residents received mediocre training.

Well, I think that there are programs where the attendings will be a little more on top of you (and test your knowledge more actively), and other places where it's easier to fly under the radar. I'm not sure there's anything inherently wrong with the latter, but it does depend on whether you're self-motivated. If you know you won't do a lot of self study, maybe you need a more rigorous program.

Regardless, that's just one of quite a few factors to consider. If you want to ultimately end up in academics, or have the opportunity to be involved in the biotech industry in a non-clinical capacity, and also want to end up in Cali, Stanford is your place!!

Last edited:

Thanks for endorsing open and anonymous discussion, but its important that everyone feels comfortable posting on these forums including the accounts that SDN would consider "troll" accounts.

In any event, these accounts eventually tend to go quiet when ignored anyways.

I don't think Yale is #1 for diagnostic radiology, but I do like the med school. It's probably #15 for DR, and #8 for IR. Yale has the Interventional Oncology dream team now (Kevin Kim and Jeff Geschwind), so it'll likely move up even further in IR rankings.

You do know that there's no such thing as radiology rankings right?

Although if they did exist, you're definitely overselling yale in the world of radiology.

Reactions: 2 users
Just passing on what I heard from residents at my home institution and from other folks on the interview trail last year. I personally though Hopkins and Stanford were awesome. Didn't interview at Cornell, but have heard a lot of good things about them as well. All three are amazing programs, but they have the reputation among a decent number of current residents as places where you can coast if you want.

When I interviewed last year, i got the impression that Cornell, MGH, Stanford were the more cush programs. Hopkins and MIR on the other hand were supposedly more rigorous. I could be wrong though and maybe a current resident could chime in.

Also, I agree that Johns Hopkins(and most programs actually) did not really emphasize research really.

I agree with what you're saying, but I've heard from at least advisors that they chose their residency based upon who they were working with/wanted to work with.

Ah, you really don't like Yale, do you? Haha. I don't think Yale is #1 for diagnostic radiology, but I do like the med school. It's probably #15 for DR, and #8 for IR. Yale has the Interventional Oncology dream team now (Kevin Kim and Jeff Geschwind), so it'll likely move up even further in IR rankings. Yale's radiology department is also very friendly (Merry Christmas):

Two other things about Stanford - their IR has three new spots; they aren't taking those spots out of the existing DR cohort, and they are the only IR program I know of that requires a surgical preliminary year. The others strongly suggest it, but don't require it.

Weill Cornell IR/DR requires you to do a surgery internship with them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson
The program obviously has excellent leadership and structure. The chairman and program director both talked to us extensively to start the interview day and really showed how much progress there has been in the program over the last few years. As far as big names, Jefferson really punches above its weight. They have leading radiologists in almost ever field, with very impressive numbers of presentations at RSNA and other conferences. They have a major medical enterprise and very high volume despite being in a city with a number of other hospitals. The location of Jefferson is pretty cool - the campus is located downtown in the heart of Philly and has a lot of great lunch and dinner spots surrounding the buildings. The main hospital, as well as the Neuro, MSK, and ENT buildings are all right there within a few block radius. Moonlighting opportunities are also right there. The actual radiology facilities in the main building seemed a bit basic. Nothing spectacular there. One of the big downsides to this program was that there was a long commute >1 to the Pediatrics rotations. They do those somewhere in Delaware I think. Another major downside for me was that I just didn't get the same feeling of camaraderie amongst the residents as I did at other places. It seemed more 'cliquey,' and there were definitely quite a few residents who we saw at the noon conference who made no effort to meet applicants. It did seem like some of them hang out with each other, and I certainly liked some of the residents, but it kid of lacked the 'community' of other programs. Maybe I caught them on a bad day or something. All in all, it seemed like an excellent place to get training and be springboarded to a top tier fellowship/career, but it maybe won't be right at the top of my rank list due to the above reasons. Still, I think I will probably rank it pretty high.

Although we often joke about them, Cliques in residency programs can be symptomatic of more deep rooted issues within the program. I think grammar and high school has made us all too familiar with the bullying and exclusionary tactics cliques often employ, but they can also be a nidus for gossip/rumor spreading. Highlighted even within this forum recently was a clique's tendency to resort to cyber-bullying its own members by "exposing" each other seemingly in an effort to maintain some sense of conformity. Lastly, cliques and bullies can only thrive when their behavior goes unaddressed and can therefore be emblematic of the culture within which they exist.

Pay attention to your gut feeling. There may be a reason you were able to get a feeling of cliquey/high-school behavior within the brief interview experience lasting no more than several hours. 4 years is a long time to have to deal with this type of behavior...

Cliques are inevitable at any large program. You're going to be surrounded by 40-60 colleagues, there will be some you're bound to not get along with and some who share the same same common interests.

Sure, some programs are more close knit than others, but good luck making a correct judgement on 2 hours of interaction with a small cross section of the residents.

Are you seriously trying to pass yourself off as a medical student? You're obviously a resident. There is absolutely zero chance a medical student either during an interview day or even a month long rotation gets those details across the breadth of departments that you posted.

And as someone extremely familiar with University of Wisconsin's radiology program, that post was full of half-truths and absurdities. Just really, really dumb stuff.

It's easy to see, though, why you feel ostracized and angry. We all view the world slightly differently through different lenses. However, it's hard to even conceive of the amount of pathology/issues you have if you're viewing the radiology culture at a place like U Wisc through such distorted lenses.

I've experienced many different radiology programs in different areas of the country. U Wisc is among the best. You can't ask for more opportunities or a better culture. Be grateful you're there, because if someone like you tried to be at a place like UCSF, NYU, MGH etc. you would have been kicked out fairly quickly.

Are you seriously trying to pass yourself off as a medical student? You're obviously a resident. There is absolutely zero chance a medical student either during an interview day or even a month long rotation gets those details across the breadth of departments that you posted.

And as someone extremely familiar with University of Wisconsin's radiology program, that post was full of half-truths and absurdities. Just really, really dumb stuff.

It's easy to see, though, why you feel ostracized and angry. We all view the world slightly differently through different lenses. However, it's hard to even conceive of the amount of pathology/issues you have if you're viewing the radiology culture at a place like U Wisc through such distorted lenses.

I've experienced many different radiology programs in different areas of the country. U Wisc is among the best. You can't ask for more opportunities or a better culture. Be grateful you're there, because if someone like you tried to be at a place like UCSF, NYU, MGH etc. you would have been kicked out fairly quickly.

Feel free to elaborate, especially on the "half truths." If you are indeed extremely familiar with the program, your impression would be a helpful one to add to the mix. Coming on, thumping your chest then claiming that this level of detail could only come from a resident does little good.

Feel free to elaborate, especially on the "half truths." If you are indeed extremely familiar with the program, your impression would be a helpful one to add to the mix. Coming on, thumping your chest then claiming that this level of detail could only come from a resident does little good.

Sure, I'll elaborate---- on you. if you're unhappy at U Wisc's radiology program and unhappy with the culture there, you would be beyond miserable at many, many, and probably all programs. It takes a seriously pathologic mind to not be able to get along with easygoing, smart and dedicated radiologists with the level of teaching and resources that exists there.

Good luck in your future fellowship and practice (that is assuming you graduate), because you're going to need it.

Sure, I'll elaborate---- on you. if you're unhappy at U Wisc's radiology program and unhappy with the culture there, you would be beyond miserable at many, many, and probably all programs. It takes a seriously pathologic mind to not be able to get along with easygoing, smart and dedicated radiologists with the level of teaching and resources that exists there.

Good luck in your future fellowship and practice (that is assuming you graduate), because you're going to need it.

Case in point - You've sold us all on your great program.

Although we often joke about them, Cliques in residency programs can be symptomatic of more deep rooted issues within the program. I think grammar and high school has made us all too familiar with the bullying and exclusionary tactics cliques often employ, but they can also be a nidus for gossip/rumor spreading. Highlighted even within this forum recently was a clique's tendency to resort to cyber-bullying its own members by "exposing" each other seemingly in an effort to maintain some sense of conformity. Lastly, cliques and bullies can only thrive when their behavior goes unaddressed and can therefore be emblematic of the culture within which they exist.

Pay attention to your gut feeling. There may be a reason you were able to get a feeling of cliquey/high-school behavior within the brief interview experience lasting no more than several hours. 4 years is a long time to have to deal with this type of behavior...

Last edited:

Oh-Its-A-Deep-Burn-Funny-Meme-Picture.jpg

You just dropped two spots on my rank list.

Case in point - You've sold us all on your great program.

Not my program. But I wouldn't mind it if it was. Again, I have been all over, whether as a medical student, rotating medical student, resident, rotating resident, fellow, attending, you name it. Every place has problems, the difference is in the extent and type of problems. Every place has "personalities," the difference being that at some places those personalities will scream and curse at you at the drop of a hat, whereas at other places like Wisconsin it might mean the worst guy gets a little annoyed every once in a while.

I reiterate, knowing Wisconsin, if you can't get along with that program to the point where you're posting emotional exaggerated hit pieces that talk about laughably idiotic complaints which strikes me at the level of "they don't have fresh cut roses every morning," then the problem lies with you.

I agree though. The oversell on the defense is telling.

It is generalized stupidity and a lack of clear headed logic that is one of the biggest pet peeves I have in life.

If anyone has relevant contributions to actual interview impressions they would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure. Not that I don't love people arguing on the internet.

I'll kick things off for Indiana. I really enjoyed my time at the interview dinner/interview; residents seemed super personable and friendly. Seemed like a good faculty to resident ratio despite the large nature of the program. They have a ton of studies to sift through, which I guess makes sense since they pull from the entirety of Indiana. Despite this, the residents didn't feel that they were overwhelmed/overworked. Tons of opportunities for education/leadership roles and responsive to research. I don't really have a ton of negatives to say about the program; moonlighting could definitely be better and moving between 4 hospitals wouldn't be great (although they are close together).

Reactions: 2 users
This is a place for medical students to share their experiences, not a place for you to continue to fabricate stories because you're bored on the weekends. It's already been established that you're a disgruntled resident, and no one reading this thread has forgotten that...

What makes you think their stories are fabricated? I can't attest to Wisconsin's program as a whole, in fact I'm sure you get good training there, but I have firsthand knowledge that what the original poster said about Wisconsin's body and msk sections has a lot of truth in it. Hear them now, believe them later. As with any program, do your homework and come to your own conclusions.

U Miami - nice program. Very large workload. Not sure if it's a hindrance to education or not. Residents were happy. Miami is cool.

Hi,
Any impressions on Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern, UC Irvine, UMN, USC? I really liked Orange County, but the program seemed mediocre. Should I go for the location or the reputation? No specific ties to these cities.
Thanks

Does anyone have any thoughts about UCSF vs. Stanford for Radiology? I know in the past people have mentioned that Stanford has low volume, but it seems like that may have changed in recent years. For anyone who knows about these programs, how do you think they stand up to one another?

The reputation has been that UCSF residents read higher volumes and take more call, which is still independent call, than Stanford residents. When my PI was a fellow at Stanford 5 years ago, he said the volumes were low enough that the fellows read a large share of the cases and the residents were not super busy. I don't know anyone who is a current Stanford resident so I'm not sure if that's changed in recent years.

Research-wise, UCSF is strong in basic science research, particularly in Neuro, while Stanford is strong in device development and tends to attract people who are more business-oriented.

Glad to see this thread is back on track...

Anyone have opinions about MGH? What about if one is interested in IR down the line?

Thank you!

What makes you think their stories are fabricated? I can't attest to Wisconsin's program as a whole, in fact I'm sure you get good training there, but I have firsthand knowledge that what the original poster said about Wisconsin's body and msk sections has a lot of truth in it. Hear them now, believe them later. As with any program, do your homework and come to your own conclusions.

Judging by the timing of the back and forth, and the over the top attempt at dis-creditting the impression, it would be reasonable to suggest that the raditude and rads123 accounts are a couple of the UW disgruntled people mentioned earlier, and also probable beneficiaries of what the impression discussed.

Can you elaborate further?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Not original poster but I have a friend who is a resident at Miami, says it is a learn by doing type of residency, very high volume, weaker on didactics. That said, this resident liked the program, and got a strong training. Miami is cool, Jackson Memorial is a big question mark. Historically it's been a terribly inefficient and frustrating place to work, lots of changes there recently, will be interested to see how that would change the radiology residency, if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

MGH is weak in pediatrics and mediocre in IR, but pretty strong in most other divisions.

This is true, and why historically their residents have had to rotate out at places like Mt. Auburn. But, the nice thing is they are actually quite open about that aspect of their curriculum.

I disagree with your assessment of MGH's IR Department. They've really revamped recently and seemed like great training from the colleagues I've talked to. Your comments about pediatrics are valid.

I disagree with your assessment of MGH's IR Department. They've really revamped recently and seemed like great training from the colleagues I've talked to. Your comments about pediatrics are valid.

That's great, what specific changes have they made to improve IR? When I interviewed last year, MGH residents were the ones who told me they felt the IR was weak and that BWH was much stronger for IR.

That's great, what specific changes have they made to improve IR? When I interviewed last year, MGH residents were the ones who told me they felt the IR was weak and that BWH was much stronger for IR.

There must have been a memo some of us didn't get from SDN asking us to only post positive things about programs, even if they aren't 100 percent true.

There is no shame about MGH having a less than Harvardian IR program. Even a massively funded place like MGH can't be expected to be on the cutting edge of everything related to medicine.

MGH is on the upswing for IR, but they aren't at their apex yet.

MGH had 6 body/IR + 9 IR fellows. Starting next year there will be 0 body/ir and 8?9? IR fellows. Changes were in direct response to the fellows complaints from last year.

I don't know anything about BWH outside of what's been posted on aunt minnie.

MGH had 6 body/IR + 9 IR fellows. Starting next year there will be 0 body/ir and 8?9? IR fellows. Changes were in direct response to the fellows complaints from last year.

I don't know anything about BWH outside of what's been posted on aunt minnie.

Certainly on the upswing.

Their constructive and relatively swift response to the input from the residents/fellows is highly redeeming.

Seems like folks elsewhere are less likely to speak up...

If anyone has relevant contributions to actual interview impressions they would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure. Not that I don't love people arguing on the internet.

I'll kick things off for Indiana. I really enjoyed my time at the interview dinner/interview; residents seemed super personable and friendly. Seemed like a good faculty to resident ratio despite the large nature of the program. They have a ton of studies to sift through, which I guess makes sense since they pull from the entirety of Indiana. Despite this, the residents didn't feel that they were overwhelmed/overworked. Tons of opportunities for education/leadership roles and responsive to research. I don't really have a ton of negatives to say about the program; moonlighting could definitely be better and moving between 4 hospitals wouldn't be great (although they are close together).

I'm a student at IU, and I just wanted to say that navigating the 4 hospitals really isn't that bad. Besides right at rush hour, they are all within a 5 minute drive of each other. University, Riley, and Eskenazi are all within walking distance of each other, and Methodist is attached by the people mover (which isn't 100% reliable, I'll grant you). Most people do seem to physically show up for conference (which is by Riley), so you will have to go from place to place. I'm not sure if they webcast it or not tbh.

Otherwise, I'd agree with everything you said. Everyone I've met in rads has been great. I'm biased obviously, but I think it's a really solid program from what I've seen, comparable to what I've seen from bigger names in the Midwest at least.

Any thoughts/impressions on U Virginia, Northwester, U Chicago and U Maryland programs for DR?

U of C,

Probably the most overrated program in the Midwest. Maybe even the "Yale of the Midwest."

Interview day was flat and I walked away feeling sad. Maybe its because I expected a bit more, but its likely the fact that as a group the residents felt withdrawn and were very quiet, in my view a red flag. This didn't surprise me though, as U Chicago is perhaps the most "reputable" program to go unmatched a couple of years back (with three spots unfilled -- unheard of really). Hard to say if that is a cause or an effect of the way the program functions. Add to that things like faculty who mandate that no beverage (or was it food?) shall ever be had in the reading room (you literally have to leave), off site locations that no one likes to talk about, and an association with an undergrad campus that has often been referred to as the place where "fun goes to die," and it all starts to make sense...

When I was interviewing a few years ago, I felt the same way about U of C and Yale...Very similar feel.

When I was interviewing a few years ago, I felt the same way about U of C and Yale...Very similar feel.

Interesting you guys feel that way. I thought the residents seemed warm and fun to be around at U of C. Also with their new level one trauma center it should drive the volume up a lot. This place seems ideal for academics while still getting plenty of volume. My two cents tho