Interview Experience & Practical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone I am new to this forum, but it is great to see the many helpful advice that everyone is providing. I am worried about which programs to apply to, because the IDP programs are sooo expensive. I am also very worried about the fact that i have been a year out of dental experience and I know I am rusty in my practicals. How did any of you guys manage to deal with that and was it easy to get back your skills? are the bench examiners very picky? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
does anyone have the IDS practice manual for UOP? If any one has it , kindly ping me.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, i got a call from university of minnesota, can anybody help me in preparing for interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, can someone help me with this question! For the bench exam, do schools ask students/applicants to prepare an index before the preparation is begun????

Thanks

Last edited:
hi... can anyone please tell me from where i can buy spare columbia teeth (not the whole set but only max central incisors and mandibular molars)?? also do we need to buy an air compressor with a portable dental turbine unit??

This is not the classifieds section. Please do not sell your material here. Any ads will be deleted. Also do not sell pirated material. Please don't make me close this thread as there is a lot of valuable information here.

hey can somebody please giv some info abt the IDP Buffalo interview n bench test experience..???

hi... i bought a typodont from ebay.... when i got it i found out its not original columbia typodont but similar to it. can anyone tell me if we require original columbia typodont or just the original columbia teeth for practical tests in schools?

hi... can anyone please tell me from where i can buy spare columbia teeth (not the whole set but only max central incisors and mandibular molars)?? also do we need to buy an air compressor with a portable dental turbine unit??

Hi, you can buy loose teeth from Columbia website http://www.columbiadentoform.com/main.asp?CAT=2 depending on what type of typhodont you have. Did u figure out if you have to buy both turbine unit and compressor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, after years of struggle I finally got accepted for IDP program, I have a brand new portable compressor with attached hand piece unit and foot pedal, both columbia and brand new killgore typhodont, metal head with adjustable head, restorative course review guide, models of restorative and operative preps from a reputed university, temporary crown making material, brassler burs for both prostho and operative preps( new ones also), it helped me a lot for my bench exam, if any one interested message me, good luck everyone for their future endeavors:):xf:

hey u still have all the material??/
what is the cost for the same?

Loma Linda's Interview is conducted on 2 days.
Day 1: SUNDAY :Applicants were divided into 2 batches. One of the batches went for the dexterity test while the other went for the case study. Both were of 4 hours duration. Batches switched after lunch. But we were told that the dexterity test was the sole criteria for applicants to be called for an interview.
The Dexterity test, commonly called the bench test, which is conducted on a columbia typhodont mounted on a dental chair. We could not use water as the typhodont did not have cheeks. So practice your preps without water, trying not to burn the teeth! They provided all the instruments needed although we could take our own favourite instruments too. We were required to do 3 preps in the given time: M.O. on an upper first molar, D.O. on the upper 2nd premolar of the opposite quad, and a PFM prep on a lower 2nd premolar.

The Case study was conducted in a lecture hall, with people seated 2 spaces apart. There was just 1 case. No MCQs. The case with all the relevant pics and radiographs was provided in a booklet, with 12 questions in the end. Questions were pretty straight forward but required some time to complete. Basically, we were asked to compile charting and treatment plans and had to answer why or why not we chose the particular treatment and not any other.

MONDAY: 42 candidates out of approx 120 were called for a half hour interview which was scheduled on TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY.

INTERVIEW: We were called 15-20 mins before our scheduled interview to complete some paperwork. Well as it turned out, the paperwork was to write down an essay type answer to one of the 2 questions provided to you!!! One of the questions was: What do you do in a stressful situation? The other question was: What emotions are easy for you to express and what is difficult?
After the essay questions, we were invited to interview with a faculty member. The Interview was totally stress-free. Just simple questions about yourself and why Loma Linda. It felt more like a conversation. Lasted for about 20-25 mins.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Aditya2!!! did you have your interview at University of Minnesota???? please let me know, I need your help. I'm going for my interview on September 11 in Minnesota.

hi, i got a call from university of minnesota, can anybody help me in preparing for interview?
My interview in Minnesota is on September. if you already have yours, Can you please help me????

hello everyone,
I had some questions regarding UMDNJ..
1. I wanted to know how is the course at UMDNJ... (as i dint read its name in the list provided by somebody on SDN)
2. In the bench test - for the amalgam restoration do we need to use the rubber dam.
3. Are we allowed to use our own instruments during the test.
4. If we cant use our own instruments what all instruments are provided by the school.

hi ,Alexazabala ,even, i have applied to university of minnesota,still waiting for my IV call.
U might have finished with ur interview ,will u please share some info regarding
the IV,like how was it ,did they tell u the results soon after ur interview,
what was ur dress code,how was ur skill assesment test like,how many were
interviewed along with u, etc.Thanks and the best.

Last edited:
hi g3k......just got a call from USC for interview on 27th n 28th oct.....Do u suggest me taking a bench test preparatory course...if yes than where...or some kind of study material especially for this school ...n kindly gimme one example of PBL....n other than class 2 amalgam or PFMs.. anything else they ask for may be full gold preparation or onlay or Veneers.....Luking forward for d guidance

does anybody have any experience of interview and bench test at UCLA before??plz post abt it...what do they generally ask for in bench test??are they very picky at the test and what abt the interview?? what does the written exam entail?

These are the schools I got invited for interviews UCLA, UOP, UTHSCSA, USC

According to a dentist in California , he said that if I wanted to be in the west coast after my degree he would recommend this order:
1- UCLA
2-UTHSCSA
3-USC
4-UOP

( if UCSF was in the list he would have put it as number one)

According to HIM (again, his personal opinion) USC and specially UOP has a certain fame such as "You got into school just because you have the money to pay". I guess what he means is that having a public school diploma looks better on your wall
Also according to him , some ignorant people on the west coast would have prejudice when hearing you have a diploma from Texas

But, that is one point of view. I personally am leaning towards choosing UT. I had a great feeling and impression and I do believe in first feelings and intuition. Plus.. I have a hard time thinking about being somewhere new and having to share a house with strangers. I want to be able to live by myself.. and Texas would allow me that. I am still having a hard time deciding since UCLA name does sound good. I'll see

Like I said: it is all about your priorities!
Hi ilovegoldens I am so inspired about your experience, I think you graduated from UCLA.. I have IV there and I wonder if you still have UCLA guide for bench exam? thanks so much.

like on Facebook ''crack National Dental Board Examination NDBE''

Hi everyone,

By now, a lot of you have already had your interviews and practical exams from different dental schools. Thus, I think it would greatly help those of us who are still trying to get into one of these schools now or in the near future if you could please shed some light regarding your:

1) Interview experience (eg. what questions you were asked)

2) Practical exam (eg. what you were asked to do)

3) How you prepared for the practical exam

****Don't forget to first mention the names of the dental schools from which you got the interviews*****

Hope a lot of you will co-operate, especially those who got acceptances.

PS. Please do not post anything not related to the above matters. Thanks a lot in advance. Your help is much appreciated. :)

hi everyone..i have a very basic question for all of u out there...how do i prepare for interviews and bench test?? not that i have got any calls...just trying to be prepared so that i dont feel like a lost soul in the end..i know ppl here knw a lot of stuff..plz let me knw what all should i have ready to prepare for bench test..burs, tooth (do we have to buy own stuff for the tests) gosh im so clueless!!

Hi everyone,, I have submitted my application to CAAPID ..boston
Sent me the supplemental application a few days ago .. I filled it up
And sent it back..what's next??
Do I call and ask?
And about the interview ..how to prepare for it?
Any common questions?

hey can somebody please giv some info abt the IDP Buffalo interview n bench test experience..???

HELP!!! Anyone with previous experience at Buffalo??? Please share your experience regarding both the interview and the bench exam itself. Thanks......:idea:

Loma Linda's Interview is conducted on 2 days.
Day 1: SUNDAY :Applicants were divided into 2 batches. One of the batches went for the dexterity test while the other went for the case study. Both were of 4 hours duration. Batches switched after lunch. But we were told that the dexterity test was the sole criteria for applicants to be called for an interview.
The Dexterity test, commonly called the bench test, which is conducted on a columbia typhodont mounted on a dental chair. We could not use water as the typhodont did not have cheeks. So practice your preps without water, trying not to burn the teeth! They provided all the instruments needed although we could take our own favourite instruments too. We were required to do 3 preps in the given time: M.O. on an upper first molar, D.O. on the upper 2nd premolar of the opposite quad, and a PFM prep on a lower 2nd premolar.

The Case study was conducted in a lecture hall, with people seated 2 spaces apart. There was just 1 case. No MCQs. The case with all the relevant pics and radiographs was provided in a booklet, with 12 questions in the end. Questions were pretty straight forward but required some time to complete. Basically, we were asked to compile charting and treatment plans and had to answer why or why not we chose the particular treatment and not any other.

MONDAY: 42 candidates out of approx 120 were called for a half hour interview which was scheduled on TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY.

INTERVIEW: We were called 15-20 mins before our scheduled interview to complete some paperwork. Well as it turned out, the paperwork was to write down an essay type answer to one of the 2 questions provided to you!!! One of the questions was: What do you do in a stressful situation? The other question was: What emotions are easy for you to express and what is difficult?
After the essay questions, we were invited to interview with a faculty member. The Interview was totally stress-free. Just simple questions about yourself and why Loma Linda. It felt more like a conversation. Lasted for about 20-25 mins.

Hello db33,
I appreciate your helpful post. may i know your stats please?
thanks

Could somebody PLEASE share his/her interview experience at Temple Univeristy Kornberg College of Dentistry? I have researched everywhere and nothing so far!!!! I know we will have a video interview, but what else? How many one on one interviews with the faculty? :confused: ANYONE?!

Thank you kindly!

Could somebody PLEASE share his/her interview experience at Temple Univeristy Kornberg College of Dentistry? I have researched everywhere and nothing so far!!!! I know we will have a video interview, but what else? How many one on one interviews with the faculty? :confused: ANYONE?!

Thank you kindly!

Check the Temple forum post i posted

And also just one personal interview......
See you on the 14th

Yes I've seen that. Thank you.
OKay. Then there is nothing more to know.. it describes the process exactly.... an added fact is that the professor will also give you a presentation
You have an interview tomorrow?!

OKay. Then there is nothing more to know.. it describes the process exactly.... an added fact is that the professor will also give you a presentation
You have an interview tomorrow?!

I've actually already had my interview at Temple. I saw your post AFTER my interview, but nonetheless my interview was great. =)

hey Green eyes
could you please share your interview experience at Temple.

I've actually already had my interview at Temple. I saw your post AFTER my interview, but nonetheless my interview was great. =)

Can you kindly provide feedback about your interview experience at temple please?

Are they going to send some more invites? When are they going to send the acceptances. Any idea?:confused:

hey Green eyes
could you please share your interview experience at Temple.

Hi,
I'm just going to copy and paste what somebody posted from last year and then add to it.
Originally Posted by appu09 View Post
The day goes like this...you will report to the admissions office in the morning around 7 where jeremy and brian will receive you( i dunno if the guys changed from last year) ...then you all will be taken to a conference room where they will tell you to give brief introduction like name, place you are from and hobbies...make it a bit innovative...he may also throw some wierd questions at you like favorite instrument..craziest thing you have ever done etc...then there will be a presentation about the school and the course...once done you will be taken on a school tour and given an opportunity to talk to students...make sure you interact and talk to students...after the tour you will go on lunch with a few students...talk to them and get as much info as possible..about school, curriculum, patients, city life etc...after lunch you go back to the office where every one will be given a question(same for everyone) and you will have to write a short essay kind of thing on it...while writing they will inform you that you can go into a room as and when you want for your video recording...in there you have talk for 3-4 mins about yourself and what separates you from others..and thats it...

few pointers- 1.be pro active- make conversations whenever possible
2. for the video..prepare what you have to say but donot memorise and blabber it out in front of the camera.
3. dont think and worry about blanking out or hesitating in front of the camera...it happens to everyone and even they know it....so if it happens just move on to whatever you remember and complete the video...I had literally blanked out for a minute after I started to talk...even then I was one of the first few people to get an acceptance
4. if they dont give it to you..ask for brians and jeremys business card and send them a thank you mail later that evening(even they will tell you to do so)

all the best guys...

This is what I would like to add on: The only changes were that one of the professors gave a presentation and there was an interview with the faculty. However, I would like to add something; I know you're supposed to be pro-active and ask questions, but there were a few people who asked way too many questions, hence irritating some of us and possibly even the faculty. Please don't ask the same questions over an over, so that other people can get a chance to ask a few as well! (you don't need to ask every single thing about the college at this point!) Also, I noticed when Brain asked to introduce ourselves, some people went on and on about where they worked and what they did. It seemed very rehearsed. I think when being asked to introduce, you should talk about yourself for about 30 secs and then move on to your hobbies and other extra-curricular activities. Remember, they know that we're all dentists and have a lot of experience in our hometowns and in the US as well - What they don't know is what our personalities are like, how we communicate with one another and how well we can speak. This is my advice to others (who may be invited to interview in the future), so please don't be offended. Having said all of this, good luck everyone!

This is what I would like to add on: The only changes were that one of the professors gave a presentation and there was an interview with the faculty. However, I would like to add something; I know you're supposed to be pro-active and ask questions, but there were a few people who asked way too many questions, hence irritating some of us and possibly even the faculty. Please don't ask the same questions over an over, so that other people can get a chance to ask a few as well! (you don't need to ask every single thing about the college at this point!) Also, I noticed when Brain asked to introduce ourselves, some people went on and on about where they worked and what they did. It seemed very rehearsed. I think when being asked to introduce, you should talk about yourself for about 30 secs and then move on to your hobbies and other extra-curricular activities. Remember, they know that we're all dentists and have a lot of experience in our hometowns and in the US as well - What they don't know is what our personalities are like, how we communicate with one another and how well we can speak. This is my advice to others (who may be invited to interview in the future), so please don't be offended. Having said all of this, good luck everyone!

Green Eyes83,
Thank you for sharing your interview experience. It is very helpful. Wish you Good luck!!

Anyone willing to share bench test and interview experience at NSU in detail? I have searched the forum but found nothing......Thanks in advance

hey is there any1 in NY or NJ ready to help with bench exam prep except umdnj as that starts lil late.
please let me know asap.
thanks

guys, does anybody know who can help in bench exams, tooth preparation and waxing please.
thanks

hi every one if any one needs dental compressor and foot control ,hand piece.columbia typhodont....please msg me...

hello alll,
i have bench test material wid me. and i am selling it off at a very good price. please letme know if you need anything of the following:

Mounting Pole
turbine unit
compressor
columbia typhodont with loads of extra teeth
4 hole high speed handpiece
GMT
Enamel hatchet
round condensor
toefflemire with matrix bands
williams probe

hi i am interested in the equipment. please give me a prise so that we can talk

Hi,
Do you still have the materials available?
If so, how can we discuss price and shipping?
Thanks