Interview Experience & Practical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be fine for a female to wear a formal pant and shirt with black shoes for the interview?
What is usually asked for the UCLA bench test?it says it's 4 hours. Do they usually ask for tooth carving /RPD designing?Haven't done carving in ages..

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for reposting this.. I'd read it a few months back.. but didn't get this one when I searched yesterday..

Members don't see this ad :)
We are suposed to arange our OWN hand piece for UCLA? For real?

And, if we need to get our own handpiece, do we need a 4 hole? or a 2 hole would do?

ORGANIZER –
The American Student Dental Association(ASDA) Pre-Dental Committee at UCSF is organizing this event to help and prepare new DDS aspirants for their dental school interviews. This event is mainly looking to serve IDP-2011 UCSF interviewees, so spaces are very limited for non-UCSF applicants(first come, first serve manner). ASDA Pre-dental Committee members consist of current International Dental Students (IDP) who are actively involved in this event and will be able to help you during the event.

Event –
Saturday, Oct 15th,2011
10:30 AM – Registration
11:00 AM to 12:00 PM – Interview Presentation and Tips Workshop
12:00 PM to 12 :30 PM – Question Answers Session
12:30 PM to 1:00 PM – Lunch and meet IDP Students
1:00 PM to 4:00 PM – One on One Mock interview by panel of current IDP Students

Venue –
University of California San Francisco Medical Center,
• Room No – N-225 (Nursing Building)
• 513 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143

Contact –
Krunal Sherathiya and Shreyas Oza at [email protected]

FAQs - See website for details and Registration- http://idpevent.eventbrite.com/

Disclaimer –
This is a non profitable event and organized by the of ASDA Pre-Dental committee. The motive behind organizing this event is to help new DDS aspirants of international origin to have a more relaxed interview process. UCSF School of Dentistry and International Dental Program at UCSF or any faculty of the UCSF School of Dentistry is not a part of this event and is not liable for any information provided during this mock interview and tips workshop. Please do not call or email UCSF School of Dentistry / International Dental Program / Faculty or Staff with questions in regard to this event. Attendance at this event does not influence your application at UCSF School Of Dentistry in any way.
Please contact: [email protected]
for more information.

Loma Linda IDP interview experience 2011

Almost 80 people called for dexterity and case study testing on the same day. Divided into 2 batches, one went for dexterity which include, PFM prep on Maxillary Premolar (sorry cant recall now if it was 4 or 5), Class 2 MO Amalgam on 14 and 30. Time allotted was sufficient. Exam was on Manikin held columbia typodont, One can take one's own instruments, though LLU provides all of them as well.
Following lunch, all vegetarian, batches switched. In case study testing, a complete patient history was provided with clinical photographs, radiographs and important examination findings. Questions asked were to be written , no mcq's. Mainly based on treatment planning and diagnosis, consisting topics like systemic management of medically compromised patient, treatment modifications, antibiotic prophylaxis, treatment plan sequencing, various treatment options you want to provide along with their strongly justifiable rationale.

Next day, those who cleared the bench exam and dexterity were called on phone and invited for a personal interview for the next 2 days. Personal interview was one on one with a faculty member. General interview questions. Why dentistry, why LLU, Future plans in profession, spiritual question.. One is given a chance to ask as many questions as you want to ask about the school to your interviewer, make proper use of this time asking relevant intelligent and mature questions.
Dr Mitchell and Dr Fitzpatrick both of them alongwith admissions staff are really dedicated faculty, always helping and ready to answer any sort of queries. One feels secured and protected with a family like environment provided at LLU.
Results are out by mid october for the 24 spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Virginia Commonwealth University interview experience 2011

VCU holds its interviews in 2 phases. The best part is there was no fee for interview or for bench test, they do prefer green card holders or citizens but visa holders can also apply and were called till the 2nd phase interview. VCU is a very beautiful school with a very nice building and student facilities.
phase 1: personal interview
5-6 Groups of about 6-8 people are invited starting late july to mid september. One on one interviews with 2 faculty members separately of about 25-30 minutes each. They have your application in front of them while interviewing, stress is put on showing of one's dexterity skills while in the personal interview since they ask you to bring any dentoforms, typodonts, models or photographs of your skills. Also there was a case based written exam which was MCQ based related to a patient case history, with a total of almost 20 questions. They really judge you well from all aspects. Then there was a financial aid presentation, school tour by program director and lunch with current IDP students. VCU is a very technologically advanced school with latest equipment especially the dentsim. The school has a large interest in research and also encourages every student to out an effort into it. VCU itself is pretty old school,though IDP program started only 2 years back. From my observation of school and interaction with current students, VCU seems to lack a very large patient pool as compared to schools like LLU.

Phase 2: Bench test :all intruments provided by vcu, personal ones not allowed.
VCU called a total of 17 applicants out of those who were interviewed in phase 1 in the end of september for the practical exam and a small written exam consisting of a patient history based on which about 40 MCQ questions were asked. After this, on the dentsim, we were asked to prepare Class 2 MO Amalgam cavity prep on 14 and all ceramic prep on 8. This is all monitored and evaluated by the dentsim software. Computer shows you the error if either your chair positioning/posture is wrong or you nick the adjacent tooth as judged by the LED cameras and sensors inside everything starting from your handpiece to typodont, and around chair headlight. Your activity is recorded live in the dentsim for later evaluation.Time provided for both exercises was almost one and half hour (pretty less to work on dentsim, some people were not able to complete the tasks). While you work on dentsim, faculty members also observe you in the background, how you handle working in the technology, are you technology compatible or not, how are you presenting your body language and expressions in this stressful task. Mainly compatibility with dentsim was mor e imp than the preps. The typodont inside the dentsim is neither columbia nor kilgore but KAVO typodont specially made for this dentsim machine, the teeth have a different anatomy and a larger number of supplemental grooves which made class 2 prep a little complex to be made for the first time.
Next was normal manikin based exercised including class2 MOD amalgam restoration on #3, which was already pre-cut on Columbia typodont. Also, Class 4 Composite restoration on #8 which was also pre-cut cavity, we had to just restore. All necessary instruments are provided, at one time I felt, there were excessive instruments, that i could not handle. Lastly was a provisional crown prep on #30. First they provided a sound #30 to take the initial putty impression, then a pre-cut #30 with already done crown prep was provided for which provisional crown had to be fabricated with self cure acrylic (no Integrity but separate monomer-polymer were provided). We were also asked to self evaluate our manikin based exercises on the criteria sheets and give ourselves a grade from 1-5, 1 being worst and 5 means best. During this part also, several faculty members were observing with open files how are we doing, what was the posture, what instrument are you using, meaning they are observing your small tiny little movement as a dental professional.
The whole day activity was from 7.30 am to 6.15 pm, very tiring but maintain your focus on each exercise is imp even if one of the tasks goes wrong, dont get discouraged , be prepared for the next one.
Results are expected to be around mid-october for the 10 seats. Program starts from January.

Last edited:
With all this experience I'm sure you're all geared up and confident for the CA interviews!!Good luck!!
Any idea what they expect us to do in RPD designing?

VCU holds its interviews in 2 phases. The best part is there was no fee for interview or for bench test, they do prefer green card holders or citizens but visa holders can also apply and were called till the 2nd phase interview. VCU is a very beautiful school with a very nice building and student facilities.
5-6 Groups of about 6-8 people are invited starting late july to mid september. One on one interviews with 2 faculty members separately of about 25-30 minutes each. They have your application in front of them while interviewing, stress is put on showing of one's dexterity skills while in the personal interview since they ask you to bring any dentoforms, typodonts, models or photographs of your skills. Also there was a case based written exam which was MCQ based related to a patient case history, with a total of almost 20 questions. They really judge you well from all aspects. Then there was a financial aid presentation, school tour by program director and lunch with current IDP students. VCU is a very technologically advanced school with latest equipment especially the dentsim. The school has a large interest in research and also encourages every student to out an effort into it. VCU itself is pretty old school,though IDP program started only 2 years back. From my observation of school and interaction with current students, VCU seems to lack a very large patient pool as compared to schools like LLU.

VCU called a total of 17 applicants out of those who were interviewed in phase 1 in the end of september for the practical exam and a small written exam consisting of a patient history based on which about 40 MCQ questions were asked. After this, on the dentsim, we were asked to prepare Class 2 MO Amalgam cavity prep on 14 and all ceramic prep on 8. This is all monitored and evaluated by the dentsim software. Computer shows you the error if either your chair positioning/posture is wrong or you nick the adjacent tooth as judged by the LED cameras and sensors inside everything starting from your handpiece to typodont, and around chair headlight. Your activity is recorded live in the dentsim for later evaluation.Time provided for both exercises was almost one and half hour (pretty less to work on dentsim, some people were not able to complete the tasks). While you work on dentsim, faculty members also observe you in the background, how you handle working in the technology, are you technology compatible or not, how are you presenting your body language and expressions in this stressful task. Mainly compatibility with dentsim was mor e imp than the preps. The typodont inside the dentsim is neither columbia nor kilgore but KAVO typodont specially made for this dentsim machine, the teeth have a different anatomy and a larger number of supplemental grooves which made class 2 prep a little complex to be made for the first time.
Next was normal manikin based exercised including class2 MOD amalgam restoration on #3, which was already pre-cut on Columbia typodont. Also, Class 4 Composite restoration on #8 which was also pre-cut cavity, we had to just restore. All necessary instruments are provided, at one time I felt, there were excessive instruments, that i could not handle. Lastly was a provisional crown prep on #30. First they provided a sound #30 to take the initial putty impression, then a pre-cut #30 with already done crown prep was provided for which provisional crown had to be fabricated with self cure acrylic (no Integrity but separate monomer-polymer were provided). We were also asked to self evaluate our manikin based exercises on the criteria sheets and give ourselves a grade from 1-5, 1 being worst and 5 means best. During this part also, several faculty members were observing with open files how are we doing, what was the posture, what instrument are you using, meaning they are observing your small tiny little movement as a dental professional.
The whole day activity was from 7.30 am to 6.15 pm, very tiring but maintain your focus on each exercise is imp even if one of the tasks goes wrong, dont get discouraged , be prepared for the next one.
Results are expected to be around mid-october for the 10 seats. Program starts from January.

I just checked out dentsim lab on the website. It is super awesome. You are really lucky to be interviewed at such great schools. Good luck for the results and further interviews too.

With all this experience I'm sure you're all geared up and confident for the CA interviews!!Good luck!!
Any idea what they expect us to do in RPD designing?
Does any CA school have an RPD exercise?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any CA school have an RPD exercise?

USC mentions it every year for their interviewees but they did not ask it last year. Its manly drawing RPD design with blue, red pencils on the paper/cast .
Either they give a cast with edentulous space or they give a drawing of edentulous cast on paper and make design on it. mostly Is paper based. But as I said they did not ask last year but you should prepare for it in case they ask.

So will we have to mark what rests and clasps, where and what type of major connector,etc?CAn you give some basic guidelines?

So will we have to mark what rests and clasps, where and what type of major connector,etc?CAn you give some basic guidelines?

Yes you have to draw rest seat, major and minor connector, denture area. Everything has a special color code and they need to be in exact dimension. Lets say mandibular bar major connector stays at least 3mm below gingival margin and the thick ness of mandibular bar major connector should be 4mm.

Yes you have to draw rest seat, major and minor connector, denture area. Everything has a special color code and they need to be in exact dimension. Lets say mandibular bar major connector stays at least 3mm below gingival margin and the thick ness of mandibular bar major connector should be 4mm.

Do you know where we can find material that will show exactly how a design should look like, and tell us what colors or designated for what..example if the clasp should be drawn in blue or red.. Etc.. Thank you.

Do you know where we can find material that will show exactly how a design should look like, and tell us what colors or designated for what..example if the clasp should be drawn in blue or red.. Etc.. Thank you.

Get mccracken. It clearly specifies which colour is assigned for what part of the rpd. Like brown is for the metallic part of rpd. Blue is for the acrylic part.
Red is for rests and also for those areas which need to be modified example if enameloplasty is required u will use red in that area. Its all there in mccracken. I will type it directly from the textbook or scan and send u the page if u dont have the book. Pm me.

Get mccracken. It clearly specifies which colour is assigned for what part of the rpd. Like brown is for the metallic part of rpd. Blue is for the acrylic part.
Red is for rests and also for those areas which need to be modified example if enameloplasty is required u will use red in that area. Its all there in mccracken. I will type it directly from the textbook or scan and send u the page if u dont have the book. Pm me.

Thats exactly right. Just one correction. Tooth Modification is with green pencil. And it is done only on the cast after surveying. By seeing a paper figure or seeing a cast without surveying will not tell you where to do modification. So forget that part and just draw normal assembly with blue and red pencil. Metal part is blue and acrylic part is red.

Thank you for giving us so much help Krishdentist.. But what you've said seems to be contradicting(the colour coding I mean) Say cheez's guidelines..IS it blue or red for acrylic?Probably they might tell us that ,right?

Hey, I have an interview with uthscsa too! how r u preparing for it??mines on the 20, 21st!! whens your? and where abt in the US are u??? do u think they'll ask us dental related questions too??and what abt the bench test? Im based in Dallas, whats ur stress level like?? :)

hi,
i have been invited for the usc and uthsca interviews in oct.. does anyone know what preparations should i make before the exam?? i am from india , need some information on what equipments we need to carry..and if they are the same ones as the ones we use in india..

Hey, I have an interview with uthscsa too! how r u preparing for it??mines on the 20, 21st!! whens your? and where abt in the US are u??? do u think they'll ask us dental related questions too??and what abt the bench test? Im based in Dallas, whats ur stress level like?? :)

Hey is there any course in the Dallas for bench test? If there is, can you please give info? Thanks in advance. did they send you an email or phone call?

UMDNJ: 2 days interview
Day1: About 30 minutes interpersonal interview. Regular questions: Why UMDNJ, Why you, What are the differences you noted in USA, tell me about yourself, what are your future plans etc... Additional questions: from SOP, from clinical cases done..
Rest of the day was just regular school info, tour, lunch etc..

Day2: Bench Test - Operative for 2.5 Hrs - two class 2 (MOD) preps on maxillary molars. And then Amalgam filling in one of them - on Mannequin
Fixed Prostho for 1.5 hrs - PFM prep on maxillary anterior / Mandibular molar - on Mannequin head attached to dental chair - Not sure on the type of Typodont installed - I think it was Columbia

There were 16 candidates in our group.

No results received yet.

UMN: 1 Day Interview
3 interpersonal interviews - 1 for 30 mins with Head of the program - other two with faculty for 15 mins each... same kind of interpersonal questions mentioned above in UMDNJ
Skill test on DentSim (Simulation lab) - to prepare a rectangle on mandibular molar with dentsim unit. About 30-45 minutes including practice time and actual test - see school website FAQ section for details on the time assigned
Rest of the day was just regular school info, MN info, tour, lunch etc..

There were 3 candidates in our group

No results received yet

VCU: 2 Day Interview - weeks apart
Day 1:
1hr written MCQ exam - NBDE-2 clinical type questions
2 interpersonal interviews for 30 minutes each with faculty - regular interpersonal questions mentioned above in UMDNJ experience. I suggest to carry samples of work you have done - case files, typodonts, tooth carvings to show your clinical skills
Rest of the day was school info, tour, lunch etc..
There were 8 candidates in our group.
If you clear Day 1, they call you for Day 2 - after about 6 weeks...

Received call for Day 2

Day 2:
1.5 Hr - written MCQ exam - NBDE-2 clinical type questions
Bench test:
On DentSim unit - Class 2 prep on Maxillary molar and Full crown prep on maxillary anterior - time assigned 45 minutes each
On Mannequin labs- Not sure but I guess it was Columbia Typo - MOD Amalgam filling (just filling- no prep), class 4 composite maxillary anterior (just filling- no prep), provisional crown on mandibular molar - total time assigned 4-4.5 hrs approx.

There were 19 candidates

Received acceptance.

BU: 1 Day interview

About 30 mins interpersonal interview - they ask you about number and type of cases you have done and they note them down + regular interpersonal questions as mentioned in UMDNJ experience

Received acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
Regular questions: Why UMDNJ, Why you, What are the differences you noted in USA, tell me about yourself, what are your future plans etc... Additional questions: from SOP, from clinical cases done..

what were your answers for the above questions during the interview, can u tell me in order. please bro

I am so honored to be Interviewed and accepted to VCU! It is an awesome school!

Hey don't you worry, you just happened to see the wrong thread, its for international dentists who have to go to 2 year of dental school to get a DDS/DMD... so chill, you'd be fine with an interview and an essay/tour...good luck and may you succeed soon !!!
WOW. Just WOW!

I have been in a state of shock for the last 30 minutes. I did not know interviews like these existed with these practical exams.

I always thought that interviews for dental school were either just tours/interviews or maybe an essay.

PRACTICAL EXAM?!? Oh man...I've never been so scared in my life!

Can anyone shed light on how I can try to prepare? I'm a bit of a late applicant. Even though I submitted my AADSAS early, I didn't feel prepared to take my DAT until October. So, if I do land interviews, they are most likely post-dec. I already have one interview invite.

I've done some dental assisting before. However, I've never done any of the stuff that you guys mentioned in the practical. Am I screwed?! How should I prepare? I'm planning on looking for a job soon. Should I try to get a dental technician job?!? Or would it be better to get a dental assistant job? Which will be better to prepare for interviews and for dental school in the long run?

I've applied to the following schools.

Can someone let me know (if they've done interviews at this place) if there is a practical exam, a simple interview of questions, or essay associated with the following schools?

Most importantly, I really want to know which schools have practical exams because this is the FIRST TIME I've heard of them!!!!! I'm scared I'm going to fail my interviews now..

ANY WORDS OF REASSURANCE?!?!

UOP
UCSF
UCLA
Western
USC
NYU
Maryland
UNLV
Nova
Detroit-Mercy
ASDOH
Midwestern-AZ
Case

EDIT:.....please tell me these interviews are for DENTAL STUDENTS for things like residency, and not for PRE-DENTAL STUDENTS trying to get into dental school. I think I feel a little better because I think this is for DENTAL STUDENTS!... Sorry, I've never been to "International Dental" Forum, and I noticed the interview feeback post it so I thought it might have been relevant. I think I might have just panicked for nothing. TELL ME I'M RIGHT, PLEASE!

Hey toothfairyqueen...congrats for ur acceptance....
i am sort of a late applicant and have applied to only BU NYU and uthsca..in october...
I got an Iv call frm Bu in Feb...But do u think i am at a disadvantage to get a late Iv date...cos many of my frens who have a poor overall application as mine (not to be rude to dem)...in terms of marks as well as experience have got an earlier date ....will this make a lot of diff....m a little tensed

i am sort of a late applicant and have applied to only BU NYU and uthsca..in october...
I got an Iv call frm Bu in Feb...But do u think i am at a disadvantage to get a late Iv date...cos many of my frens who have a poor overall application as mine (not to be rude to dem)...in terms of marks as well as experience have got an earlier date ....will this make a lot of diff....m a little tensed
No one is at disadvantage on getting an interview call. Once you get an interview call, all the invited candidates are almost ranked equally, your performance in the interview would take you to the level of acceptance or rejection, entirely depends on the DAY OF INTERVIEW.... btw, I was in the last batch of VCU interviews, and now I am the accepted one.. So don't think too much on your predictions rather work hard on what you need to do... read some interview preparation books on dental school admission, try making answers to questions like "why dentistry", "why USA", "what future plans" "why this particular univ"... Also do make a good list of mature sensible and logical questions you would like to ask the one who's interviewing you... make a well built resume/cv... you just cant think that you need to buy a suit and then you are ready for interview... it take stime...

No one is at disadvantage on getting an interview call. Once you get an interview call, all the invited candidates are almost ranked equally, your performance in the interview would take you to the level of acceptance or rejection, entirely depends on the DAY OF INTERVIEW.... btw, I was in the last batch of VCU interviews, and now I am the accepted one.. So don't think too much on your predictions rather work hard on what you need to do... read some interview preparation books on dental school admission, try making answers to questions like "why dentistry", "why USA", "what future plans" "why this particular univ"... Also do make a good list of mature sensible and logical questions you would like to ask the one who's interviewing you... make a well built resume/cv... you just cant think that you need to buy a suit and then you are ready for interview... it take stime...

Thank you so much..........:):):):):):)...ill start preparing for my IV

UMDNJ: 2 days interview
Day1: About 30 minutes interpersonal interview. Regular questions: Why UMDNJ, Why you, What are the differences you noted in USA, tell me about yourself, what are your future plans etc... Additional questions: from SOP, from clinical cases done..
Rest of the day was just regular school info, tour, lunch etc..

Day2: Bench Test - Operative for 2.5 Hrs - two class 2 (MOD) preps on maxillary molars. And then Amalgam filling in one of them - on Mannequin
Fixed Prostho for 1.5 hrs - PFM prep on maxillary anterior / Mandibular molar - on Mannequin head attached to dental chair - Not sure on the type of Typodont installed - I think it was Columbia

There were 16 candidates in our group.

No results received yet.

UMN: 1 Day Interview
3 interpersonal interviews - 1 for 30 mins with Head of the program - other two with faculty for 15 mins each... same kind of interpersonal questions mentioned above in UMDNJ
Skill test on DentSim (Simulation lab) - to prepare a rectangle on mandibular molar with dentsim unit. About 30-45 minutes including practice time and actual test - see school website FAQ section for details on the time assigned
Rest of the day was just regular school info, MN info, tour, lunch etc..

There were 3 candidates in our group

No results received yet

VCU: 2 Day Interview - weeks apart
Day 1:
1hr written MCQ exam - NBDE-2 clinical type questions
2 interpersonal interviews for 30 minutes each with faculty - regular interpersonal questions mentioned above in UMDNJ experience. I suggest to carry samples of work you have done - case files, typodonts, tooth carvings to show your clinical skills
There were 8 candidates in our group.
If you clear Day 1, they call you for Day 2 - after about 6 weeks...

Received call for Day 2

Day 2:
1.5 Hr - written MCQ exam - NBDE-2 clinical type questions
Bench test:
On DentSim unit - Class 2 prep on Maxillary molar and Full crown prep on maxillary anterior - time assigned 45 minutes each
On Mannequin labs- Not sure but I guess it was Columbia Typo - MOD Amalgam filling (just filling- no prep), class 4 composite maxillary anterior (just filling- no prep), provisional crown on mandibular molar - total time assigned 4-4.5 hrs approx.

There were 19 candidates

Received acceptance.

BU: 1 Day interview

About 30 mins interpersonal interview - they ask you about number and type of cases you have done and they note them down + regular interpersonal questions as mentioned in UMDNJ experience

Received acceptance

hey,
congrats on receiving so many interview calls and acceptance from multiple schools. it must feel great :)
I was wondering if you could give some more info on the skills assessment at UMN. Does one need to practice from before? have you received any notification from them since your interview?
thanks in advance and good luck!

hey,
you shouldn't worry cos even getting an interview call is a big deal! i too applied in october but i haven't received any invitation from BU. Could you please tell me when exactly your application was received and your stats if you don't mind?
thanks in advance and good luck :)

hey,
you shouldn't worry cos even getting an interview call is a big deal! i too applied in october but i haven't received any invitation from BU. Could you please tell me when exactly your application was received and your stats if you don't mind?
thanks in advance and good luck :)

hey y do u worry...........i just happened to come across ur stats.....nbde 97 gpa 3.96..................its suprising u havent been called by BU..........wit these stats i dont think u shd hv a prob....

Hi

Can someone please tell me if you would need to make a seating grove when preparing full crowns?

Thanks in advance

Great great words which cheers people like me! Thank you.

hi guys does any body know how to prepare for Milwaukee dental school interview and bench test

I bought it brand new to practice for International Dentist Program Bench test and used it for just a month. It was extremely helpful.
It is pretty much noiseless, lightweight, easy to operate, three syringe, high-speed and low-speed hand piece tube with foot pedal.

I am selling it. Anyone interested can PM me for details.

Anyone who has any experience of Interview or Dental School at University of Pittsburgh please guide !!

Thanks.....

Hi, after years of struggle I finally got accepted for IDP program, I have a brand new portable compressor with attached hand piece unit and foot pedal, both columbia and brand new killgore typhodont, metal head with adjustable head, restorative course review guide, models of restorative and operative preps from a reputed university, temporary crown making material, brassler burs for both prostho and operative preps( new ones also), it helped me a lot for my bench exam, if any one interested message me, good luck everyone for their future endeavors:):xf:

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am hoping I can benefit from it an help other people with the info I have as well. I wanted to know if practical exams are required in all the interviews to get in to a university. thank you

Hi,
I got IV to Colorado ,please people who went there for IV share your experince ,what Q do they usually ask?
Any help is really appreciated.

In the end to summarize, I would say no school is the best school … it all boils down to what you want out of the schools. If you want the cheapest .. probably Boston is the best. If you want excellent clinical experience .. California schools, Minnesota, Penn and Michigan are all great schools. If you want help with your licensing exams, then Penn, Pacific and Boston are schools you can look into.If you want to specialize.. Penn, UCSF and Michigan are great schools…. See it all comes to what you want.

So my best advice would be … work towards your part 1 and improve your resume, get great recommendation letters from the US. Once you get that done, send in all your applications by end of August. Don’t wait for each school’s deadline, early applications help. Know what you want from your education. Know what you want to be. Research on every school - find if it gives you what you want. Still apply to every school even if some schools do not give what you want. Something is better than nothing. But aim for the best on your list. BASICALLY KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
Let the interviews roll in. September start preparing for the interviews .. answer and master basic questions llike :
1) Tell me about yourself
2) Why you?
3) Why this school?
4) Do you want to specialize?
5) What do you do for fun?
6) Have you read any book recently?
7) What have you done or completed back home .. what kind of crowns, what kind of endo work etc?
8) Why are your scores low in this section .. that is a given question?
9) What have you been doing in the US?
10) What did you do in your home country ?

Prepare answers that you can CONVERSE for three minutes for each of the above and master them… don’t cram them that should come out of your mouth like you meant every word you said... and it should be like you are talking to a friend... so keep repeating these answers and you will converse with your interviewer and not answer their questions. Talk to as many strangers as you can… it helps. And please don't be so sensitive. They are going to ask you faults in your application... why are these scores low, why no work experience.... all they want to know is why couldn't you do it and does your answer justify the situation enough to give you a seat over some student who has gotten such great scores, has an extra degree, more work experience and probably a research scientist! Now tell me - if you are hiring someone, why would you hire someone who has a 96 when you can hire someone who has a 92 with some experience in the field? So, don't be sensitive. It doesn't work in the US. Keep your feelings aside and talk like you are the best. Tell them what happened when things went wrong. Be sure and confident of yourself. If it doesn't work.. it's probably not meant for you.
Let me show you an example - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=349317 read that thread and see how insensitive replies are floating around and the OP doesn't care! That's how we must be. Take everything lightly. :)

Prepare for your practicals. Practice the following :

1) Class II amalgam
2) PFM on anterior
3) Molar Gold crown prep upper and lower
4) 3/4 and 7/8 crown ( if you know full gold crown preps on the molars ¾ and 7/8 are easy)
5) Onlay prep on molars
6) PFM premolar
7) Amalgam fill and carve

Rules I learnt was important in practical…
1)Never nick the adjacent tooth. Use a matrix band or wedge if you can (you can use it in every school except usc… they are particular that you don’t use anything.. they disqualified a student’s work because of that…)
2)And please don’t even ask this stupid question of whether you can unscrew the tooth if your preparation went wrong .. no you can not! We are all dentists only difference being we can work in another country.. if you screw up on a patient’s tooth can you tell the patient guess what I nicked your adjacent tooth or I prepared the cavity on the wrong tooth, so let me extract both the teeth and replace it??? I think that is the most absurd question I have ever come across. Before asking questions please do think!
3) Under preparation is far better than over preparation … Make mistakes that are adjustable. Don’t err on the side that is irreversible.
4) In problem based questions like the one at USC… remember every answer is correct as long as you make your preps well.

My ideal school would be a 24 - 28 month program that would give you the opportunity to externships for specialization/ research / vacation for one month each year whatever you would prefer, with a PBL curriculum and excellent faculty and the training you need to get your licensing exam .. its hard to get all in one school and that’s why each school is unique in its own way … maybe one day I will start a school that gives all these… :D but again you all readers there may not like this combination. So which is the best school? Which ranked number 1? - The school that accepts you and the school that gives you what you want.

So good luck all!!
Hi,
you have done a great job with the collection of information.I wish you all the best
Could you please help me with the info on univ of colorado interveiw prep.

can someone put some light on how the Interview is at Colorado..what kind of questions are asked and how the overall experience is??

can someone put some light on how the Interview is at Colorado..what kind of questions are asked and how the overall experience is??

There are two professors and two students. My interview experience wasnt so pleasant. It was my first so I was scared. They are going to ask you weakness, stengths, reasearch experience, a recent book you have read. I told them about the Duggan course and they asked me about it (I dont know if it was a wise choice to tell them). Any other goals besides dentistry. I will keep thinking of the other questions ask... oh yea! and the famous "tell me about yourself"

Reactions: 1 user
There are two professors and two students. My interview experience wasnt so pleasant. It was my first so I was scared. They are going to ask you weakness, stengths, reasearch experience, a recent book you have read. I told them about the Duggan course and they asked me about it (I dont know if it was a wise choice to tell them). Any other goals besides dentistry. I will keep thinking of the other questions ask... oh yea! and the famous "tell me about yourself"
thank you for your reply!!

Hi,
I have been called for VCU interview this year. I was hoping if you could guide me regarding the interview and bench test.
I will really appreciate any help since this is my first interview.
Thanks....

5-6 Groups of about 6-8 people are invited starting late july to mid september. One on one interviews with 2 faculty members separately of about 25-30 minutes each. They have your application in front of them while interviewing, stress is put on showing of one's dexterity skills while in the personal interview since they ask you to bring any dentoforms, typodonts, models or photographs of your skills. Also there was a case based written exam which was MCQ based related to a patient case history, with a total of almost 20 questions. They really judge you well from all aspects. Then there was a financial aid presentation, school tour by program director and lunch with current IDP students. VCU is a very technologically advanced school with latest equipment especially the dentsim. The school has a large interest in research and also encourages every student to out an effort into it. VCU itself is pretty old school,though IDP program started only 2 years back.

Program starts from January.

Last edited: