Interview Experience & Practical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi
need help !! I'm just done with NBDE I & II and want to know what's should be the next step?! how to volunteer ,,how to get work as dental assistance ..do I have to wait till I get some volunteer or work as dental assistance or should I start the application process

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Calalily, No problem.
Hey, I'm still struggling too, and we can all share our experiences here.
Yeah, Colorado state is very nice, lots of activities, and Denver in itself is a beautiful city as you mentioned. Very diverse, metropolitan and has a beautiful lanscape. The new UC dental campus and health science center have been moved just this year to Aurora, but that shouldn't be a problem sice Aurora is like 10 minutes out of Denver, and i'm sure that it's as beautiful and less crowded.
I have not heard back from them as of today. The entering class of ISP were scheduled to start this month, so it might take them a couple of weeks to process and send out the letters, if they ever do :D.
Anyways, my stats are
I:81, II:82, TFL:273, ECE:2.9, Exp:1yr home/3yr US DA.
I do have to say this though. Stats are misleading. It is true. I know people with better stats that have yet to be invited to a single interview, and people with scores simmilar to or even less than mine that have already been accepted elsewhere. Most schools are looking for a "package". They don't want a very intelligent student that can't speak english or communicate with their patients (TOEFL has no way of gauging your communication skills), nor do they want an excellent clinician with a poor personality and leadership skills.
The only schools that will admit you based solely on good board scores, are schools which are looking for research experience. Thats what they do. Research. They don't place much emphasis on the of the rest of the application, and to give you a hint, these schools don't even require a clinical exam on your interview (ding ding ding).
So, look at your whole application, not just at your scores. What kind of experience you have, reccomendations, extracirricular activities, awards, volunteer work ... you know. And don't get me wrong. Good scores are definately a strong point on your application, although they will not get you admission.
Hope it helps.
Good luck.

very nice says.. thank you so much

cheers.

Hi,
Any female interested in sharing accommodation for LLu bench? Pls send me a message in my inbox.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
This is long overdue to my fellow SDN'ers. Thank you all so much esp. nilebds, gumpads, oral surgeon, Mekha, sumanvarireddi and lots more. I have been inactive for the past year as I did not want to write something until I was successful in getting an admission call from a university. So here goes my success story as a motivation to all you persistent FTDs. Note: persistent.

[ EDIT - Let me begin by saying this is my second round of attempt to get into a two year program. First time I got one interview out of 10. Second time I got 8 out of 9 and out of the 8 - got accepted into 3, waitlisted at 2 and rejected at 2; yet to hear from 1 - well now I may not attend the interview at UMich :D . What did I do? Improved my scores and added some work experience and modified my personal statement to fit the school; last but not the least got wonderful recommendation letters. :( I still made a mistake – I did not prepare for most of the interviews especially the California ones. I was the perfect candidate on paper (that's what got me so many interviews) but did not present myself so (that's what got me so few accepatnces). Please do not repeat it. It is disheartening especially after all the hardwork. Make a list of possible questions and turn it into a conversation. Remember the way to prepare for an interview is for you to sit down write out the answers to all the questions and then for you to turn it into a conversation… so practice like it is a natural answer practice practice practice… remember you are being interviewed not your husband not your friend not your brother it is you! Also, if you want to be accepted at a California school, even considered – PRACTICE your hand skills! ]

I am writing this like a diary as every day, or I should put interview, goes by for two reasons. One, I give you an unbiased opinion of each school as I am not accepted into any school yet and two, I don't forget what happened at each school. Remember, I am writing down what I see in each school as pros and cons, which, you might see the same pros and cons as cons and pros respectively. Also my concern is clinical experience. I am a relatively fresh graduate and do not have any clinical experience in my home country except for the compulsory internship. So, what I am looking in a school, is the best clinical education I could get, for the money I am spending. So no school is the best and no school can be ranked overall. It all boils down to what you want – cheapest? shortest? best preclinical? best clinical? specialization? research? and so on. And mine is best clinical education – maximum number of patients I can treat. So as per my rating of schools for clinical experience would be any of these five - UCSF, Pacific, UPenn, UMich and UMN - all have the best clinical education.
Do you have any information about the bench test at UAB?

hi g3k,
what an amazing job u have done just summarising your experiences for the benefit of others ,just wonderful .what you have written is invaluable advice and has just left me longing for words .THANK YOU :thumbup:
keep posting so your experience will help others and the good work just continues .i am in the same boat i applied this year to 5 schools just got 1 interview (BU) but not heard anything from them yet and i was so dejected then i come across your thread and voila you give me a ray of hope,just one question how did you prepare for the west coast practicals, please guide us as to how you prepared for the case presentations etc etc
once again fantastic job
:love:
Do you have any information about the bench test at UAB?

Hi all , I got an interview in UF AEGD program and part of the interview they have bench exam
Any advise on what to expect and how to prepare?
Thanx

Hi Walus,

I am sure by now you must have completed your program.
I have one quick question:
Can you please suggest about UF AEGD Bench Test. What all exercise they ask? I am also interested in this program but hard to get info.
Can you please help.

Thanks,
Kim

Last edited:
hi can anyone please tell me how is the interview at uni of pittsburgh school of dental medicine for advanced standing program

Hello guys

I’m new here and I got an invitation at rutger school. This is my first cycle and first interview.
The interview was very short (7 min),
I did not provide a lot of details regarding my experience and education (because I was nervous and forgot to talk about it),
I said that I do volunteering as dental assistant in my free time,
because I was nervous: my English was not too fluid at that time
and I was interviewed by the chairman of admission.

What do you think it was my interview ?????
What are the chances to get in ?????

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestion for accommodation for the interview? I wonder if there is any hotels within walking distance or with a shuttle to and from the university & / or the airport.

Any advice will be appreciate.

Thanks

Any suggestion for accommodation for the interview? I wonder if there is any hotels within walking distance or with a shuttle to and from the university & / or the airport.

Any advice will be appreciate.

Thanks

Hi everyone. I have applied for advanced standing program, 2017-18 cycle in october2017 and waiting for a call. Dental schools I have applied are BU, VCU, COLORADO,UW, TEMPLE. Till what time I can wait for a call and reapply for next cycle. I have cleared my NBDE exams, TOEFL (95) and had a masters degree in my country. Can any one throw some light regarding interview selection.
Thank you...

did u
Hi
need help !! I'm just done with NBDE I & II and want to know what's should be the next step?! how to volunteer ,,how to get work as dental assistance ..do I have to wait till I get some volunteer or work as dental assistance or should I start the application process
apply and get into or are you still waiting? just curious

Hi all, I am new to this forum, it’s amazing how everyone is trying to help each other. I just got an interview call from university of Texas health science center at Houston, anybody else in the same boat? Would appreciate if somebody can share his/her interview experience at university of Texas heath center at Huston. Thanks.

Hi,
Did anyone here study in Europe? Do they mind sharing their stats? I'll be applying next year or in two years. Not sure if some schools accept applications with a diploma in process because I graduate in June 2019. Also do any schools waive the TOEFL if you're a native speaker and did dental school in English? It doesn't always say on their website...

Hi,
Did anyone here study in Europe? Do they mind sharing their stats? I'll be applying next year or in two years. Not sure if some schools accept applications with a diploma in process because I graduate in June 2019. Also do any schools waive the TOEFL if you're a native speaker and did dental school in English? It doesn't always say on their website...

I am currently studying in Europe and I am also an American citizen (and a Dutch citizen). From what I've heard (I called a bunch of schools) they don't waive it unless you received your bachelor's degree in English. Most of them also state this on their site. I'm also a native speaker but I assume you are too, so the TOEFL shouldn't be much of a problem...?

Hello all,

I am new to this. I would like some information on Columbia University bench test and interview proceedings. Please guide me and let me know whatever relevant information you have. Thank you so much for helping. I would really appreciate any and all forms of help right now.

Hello all,

I am new to this. I would like some information on Columbia University bench test and interview proceedings. Please guide me and let me know whatever relevant information you have. Thank you so much for helping. I would really appreciate any and all forms of help right now.
When is your interview?

Last edited:
hello! I also have an interview next week, the only information that I can give you is that they will give us columbia typodonts to prep FGC, amalgam class II and composite class III. Good luck!

Hey guys! Can anyone tell me about the bench test and interview in University of Oklahoma? What do ask us to prepare in bench test?

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have any info regarding UF bench test?

Hello everyone , I got invited to UF interview/bench , can any one have any advice on what to expect

HI, Is there anyone here who could give light into what is expected from UCLA bench test - written and clinical and the personal interview? I only have 9 days from now, if anyone could help asap it would be GREAT! Thank you very much in advance!

is it possible to get admission in any of the DMD program if you are a fresh graduate?

is it possible to get admission in any of the DMD program if you are a fresh graduate?
Yes. Anything is possible. Nobody can tell what the admissions committee is looking for. As long as you have a burning passion to study dentistry you can make it happen.

Sent from my MotoG3 using SDN mobile

Hi I got an interview invitation for advanced operative dentistry program at USC Herman ostrow
What type of questions to ecpect

USC – The interview was two days. The first day was three case based questions .. something along the lines .. your patient comes to the clinic with this problem. He desire esthetics and minimal tooth reduction or an amalgam restoration or so on. Determine the appropriate indirect/ direct restoration you could do and prepare the tooth accordingly. There were three questions and 6 hours!! That's a lot of time! Second day was a PBL interview where they give you a case history in pieces of information (totally 4). Its not the answer they are looking for. It is how you get to the process of the answer. So forget the answer. Don't ask me or anyone what it was, because if you do so you will end up in made up thoughts and that's not what you want. It is obvious to the proctors whether you have the answers with you or not. So work your way through. Its nice .. it almost like you are a detective trying to find the culprit in team work.. and that's really fun to do .. I would call it the dentistry version of the program HOUSE .. Hugh Laurie :love: :love: ( He is HOT!!! ).

Pros - Good school… simply love the PBL system. We all know our theory .. atleast most of us .. what we have got to know is how to solve a case. I think the PBL curriculum is very intriguing (maybe not the right word). I can't say a lot about this school. Two reasons… I was too tired by the time I got to this interview and two I couldn't talk to anyone really about this school. I am still doing my research on this school. As I find more I will tell you guys.

Cons –
From the interview I realized there was zero personalization (maybe not the right word again).
Also, heard some cheating was going on there with the proctors helping the applicants during the practical exam. I don't know how much that would help but still gives a hand over someone not being helped… which I think is unfair.

Any news from Temple university this year ?

Hello guys

I’m new here and I got an invitation at rutger school. This is my first cycle and first interview.
The interview was very short (7 min),
I did not provide a lot of details regarding my experience and education (because I was nervous and forgot to talk about it),
I said that I do volunteering as dental assistant in my free time,
because I was nervous: my English was not too fluid at that time
and I was interviewed by the chairman of admission.

What do you think it was my interview ?????
What are the chances to get in ?????
Hi Daniel,
WHAT IS YOUR STATUS ?

Hi guys,

Is anybody can share their experience with Colorado interview and bench test. Where can I find useful videos for wax-up ?

Thank you

did anyone get an interview call from temple or boston or nyu or colorado?

Can anyone please share their experience at Indiana University?

Anyone has experience with interviews at Tufts? It seems almost impossible to find any information online

Hi there!
Is anybody knows what to expect from University of Nebraska interview and bench test ( I didn't receive any invitation)?

Hey guys, what about to publish a list that all universities that already have sent out Invitations? So then we could organize our expectations ;)
- Herman Ostrow University
- UT San Antonio
- University of Alabama
- University at Buffalo
-University of Minnesota
- University of Michigan

Hey guys, what about to publish a list that all universities that already have sent out Invitations? So then we could organize our expectations ;)
- UT San Antonio
- University of Alabama
- University at Buffalo
-University of Minnesota
- University of Michigan

- UT San Antonio
- University of Alabama
- University at Buffalo
-University of Minnesota
- University of Michigan