Interview Attire for Women

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lo1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
What is a good outfit for women to wear to interviews? I have a blazer I wear over a nice blouse with a black skirt that I usually wear for professional events but I am worried it is not formal enough. Should I get something like a pantsuit? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pantsuit sounds more appropriate. Its a professional interview, you want to give your best impression.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Just think opposite of sticki nicki minaj. If you think it's something she would wear, don't wear it to an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a skirtsuit skirt or just a black skirt? Skirtsuit yes, black skirt no.

I wore a navy skirt suit, a light lavender top and nude pumps (Highly recommend Life Stride brand... most comfortable heels ever). That's plenty formal. I saw other girls were pant suits too that looked nice. I wore simple pearl earrings, as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for this thread.
I was wondering if anyone knew if we should restrict to black or navy blue only?
Would beige or light pink suit look unprofessional at all?

Thanks for this thread.
I was wondering if anyone knew if we should restrict to black or navy blue only?
Would beige or light pink suit look unprofessional at all?

From what I've been told, to be safe always stick with black or navy. I would definitely not wear light pink, and in my personal opinion I'm not fond of the beige suits so I wouldn't suggest those either.

What about piercings? I have a bunch but they're only on my ears so should I remove them?

What about piercings? I have a bunch but they're only on my ears so should I remove them?
To be safe I would take them out and just wear one earring in each ear. And just wear something simple. I have my tragus pierced but will be taking it out for interviews.

Banana Republic Factory's website has literally everything on sale now, and on top of that you can use the code 40FAMILY for an extra 40% off. I just bought a suit from there (I know my size because I walked into a Banana Republic store and tried everything on).

Edit: Their suits are amazing quality, so I'd say $88.00 total for a full pant-suit is a great price for something that usually goes for way over $200.00.

Banana Republic Factory's website has literally everything on sale now, and on top of that you can use the code 40FAMILY for an extra 40% off. I just bought a suit from there (I know my size because I walked into a Banana Republic store and tried everything on).

Edit: Their suits are amazing quality, so I'd say $88.00 total for a full pant-suit is a great price for something that usually goes for way over $200.00.
I looked on their website.... I couldn't find much options for pantsuits.

I looked on their website.... I couldn't find much options for pantsuits.

I guess everything is going quick. There were more options beforehand. The regular Banana Republic site is more pricey but they also have a coupon for 50% off regular priced items code: BBJ7VCL68DQ1

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I love banana suits! Wore one to my first interview yesterday and it fit perfectly. Highly recommend!

Also, on the topic of attire, I saw a few girls wearing dresses and open toed sandals and I personally don't think that's appropriate for interviews. Definitely wear a pantsuit/skirt suit and close toed flats or heels

Members don't see this ad :)
I love banana suits! Wore one to my first interview yesterday and it fit perfectly. Highly recommend!

They're so incredibly comfortable and fit nicely. I usually have to have my pants tailored but not with BR! Hope your interview went well!

I got a great deal at the Banana republic store in my local mall. Opened a credit card and got 50% off all regular priced items with an additional 20% off that. Blazer, pants, dress two sleeveless tops. Now if I can just get an interview!

Two piece swim suit is what the ADEA recommends I believe

Last edited:

What about your dragons...are you planning on bringing them with you? Because that would probably be a bad idea

Reactions: 2 users
Why don't we lower the volume on obnoxious remarks? SDN is not the place for ridiculous misogyny or whatever else that was.

I got a great deal at the Banana republic store in my local mall. Opened a credit card and got 50% off all regular priced items with an additional 20% off that. Blazer, pants, dress two sleeveless tops. Now if I can just get an interview!

they also do student discounts on top of that if you ask (10% or 15% off i believe)

Last edited:
Why don't we lower the volume on obnoxious remarks? SDN is not the place for ridiculous misogyny or whatever else that was.
Sorry brother was just a joke, would have done the same on a male oriented post. Thought i'd lighten the mood since there were already great answers. My mistake

Are black dress "suits" acceptable? like this (with a suit jacket)

1567298615.htm

I had this on today on the interview-black dress and black jacket. In general I am against black, but couldn't find anything that fits so well. I liked how I looked and felt even more confident because of it.
The only problem - outfit needed some jewelry or a pin to "freshen it up", just don't wear pearls-it's too funerally