Interventional radiology job search process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIRads1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the general job search process looks like for IR trainees as they near completion of their training. Are open jobs generally spread by word of mouth? Do fellows/residents contact groups on their own?

For reference, my dream job would be high end and clinically oriented IR at a private group in the southeastern US (GA, FL). Even if I would have to compromise a bit on the nature of the job, the location would be the most important factor for me due to family reasons. Based off what I've heard, trying to find a job in a region different from where you train seems to be something that will require a bit more work. Just wanted to know how early in training one needs to make inroads at groups in a different region to be able to ultimately get offered a job there

Members don't see this ad.

network network network. SIR is also a great place to network and meet people

Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested in this also, can anyone else chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also would like to know.

Would be curious to know what PP versus academic opportunities are like.... Is it more or less difficult to try to find a PP versus academic job?

It's like any other radiology job. The best jobs are word-of-mouth and networking with former trainees (and current attendings) from your program. The next tier of jobs will be posted on the ACR job site. The lowest tier will be jobs that require recruiters to fill.

There may be some overlap, but that is the radiology job market, in a nutshell, from my perspective. One of the biggest advantages of bigger name programs is that they often have the most robust network of former trainees well-dispersed throughout the country and often concentrated in desirable locations. You can learn to place a filter anywhere, but the big name program comes with the network, something that I did not appreciate so much when I was in training.

Reactions: 1 user