Interventional neuroradiology pathways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yyll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear neurologists,

I'm a rising MS 2 interested in interventional neuroradiology. There are apparently two pathways to INR: (1)diagnostic radiology -> neuroradiology -> INR which takes 8 to 9 years, and (2) neurology -> vascular/neurocritical care -> INR and this pathway is a little shorter taking 7 to 8 years. Could you comment on the pros and cons of each? My undergraduate and graduate degrees are in electrical engineering and so far I've liked the limited exposure to radiology we've had during first year but neuroscience was my favorite subject. The neurology attending that gave the lecture on interventional procedures sort of implied that going through the radiology route you would be more like a technician whereas with neurology training you can take part in the overall care of the patient. Is this a correct way to put it? I like the neurology route also but am concerned about the fact that INR is still largely controlled by radiologists and neurosurgeons. What are some INR programs that are neurologist friendly? I know I have a couple years to decide but I have some geographical limitations so I would like to get as much info as possible early on. Thanks for your insights!

Members don't see this ad.