International student applying to undergraduate medicine in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurveballfromCanada

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about applying to an undergraduate medicine program next summer. I'm from Canada, and I've finished high school, and I'm currently in my first year of undergraduate study in a bachelor of science in nursing (BSc.N) degree. The average of my top 6 marks from high school is 90% (my marks are 83% in English, 85% in Physics, 90% in Computer Science, 91% in Calculus, 95% in Chemistry, 96% in Biology). The undergraduate entry requirements table for UNSW lists the marks for Canadian students as 92%.

It says on the UNSW site that if you've completed a year of university, which I will have done by the time I apply, they will take into account your high school and university marks in a 50:50 ratio. Since I'm in university, what sort of GPA from my first year of undergraduate study would I need to be able to apply, also taking into account my 90% average (I'm not really clear how they'd balance out)? It stings, being only 2% off. I'm not planning on only applying to UNSW, they're just the site I found all this info on. I don't imagine the require marks really differing that much between schools.

I understand that I will also need to take the ISAT. Could I apply with these high school marks, and if I had a high enough ISAT score and undergrad GPA, still have a chance of being admitted? Even if I technically met the standards, would I have a hope in hell of actually getting accepted? Give it to me straight; if you think I'm toast don't hesitate to let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering about applying to an undergraduate medicine program next summer. I'm from Canada, and I've finished high school, and I'm currently in my first year of undergraduate study in a bachelor of science in nursing (BSc.N) degree. The average of my top 6 marks from high school is 90% (my marks are 83% in English, 85% in Physics, 90% in Computer Science, 91% in Calculus, 95% in Chemistry, 96% in Biology). The undergraduate entry requirements table for UNSW lists the marks for Canadian students as 92%.

It says on the UNSW site that if you've completed a year of university, which I will have done by the time I apply, they will take into account your high school and university marks in a 50:50 ratio. Since I'm in university, what sort of GPA from my first year of undergraduate study would I need to be able to apply, also taking into account my 90% average (I'm not really clear how they'd balance out)? It stings, being only 2% off. I'm not planning on only applying to UNSW, they're just the site I found all this info on. I don't imagine the require marks really differing that much between schools.

I understand that I will also need to take the ISAT. Could I apply with these high school marks, and if I had a high enough ISAT score and undergrad GPA, still have a chance of being admitted? Even if I technically met the standards, would I have a hope in hell of actually getting accepted? Give it to me straight; if you think I'm toast don't hesitate to let me know.

I don't think too many people on this site will know the answer to your questions as most medical programs in Australia have trended towards graduate entry only. I think there are only a select few that do undergraduate med. Your best bet is to contact the individual school to get information regarding minimum requirements for acceptance.

I think you might be eligible to apply to UTas Medicine, as they require 89 on the Canadian Ontario SSD. Details here: http://www.utas.edu.au/internationa.../bachelor-of-medicine-and-bachelor-of-surgery
Since you are from North America, you probably take the the SAT. I think they accept that too, with a 2100/2400 minimum requirement.

Another course that you might be eligible to apply is at JCU. They require a minimum of 85 on the OSSD. https://www.jcu.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/136946/jcuprd1_065093.pdf

Last edited: