International feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internationalmaybe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a college graduate (May 2016) currently doing a gap year internship as a paid medical researcher. I was accepted into a US medical school for Fall '16 admission but decided to turn it down due to my financial situation and wanting some (much needed) time away from school :=).

I have already submitted my US application for this year's cycle, but I'm really interested in international programs. I think it would be incredible to accomplish my goal in an international setting. Have any elected to attend a foreign medical school in favor of a US school? If so, any thoughts/recommendations?

Pre-med stats: (sry if not SDN standard)
3.82 GPA
3.71 BCPM GPA
510 MCAT
~300 shadowing hours
~200 volunteer hours

How do these numbers stack up with other international applicants? I would hate to decline US admission in hopes of being admitted to a school with a January matriculation date and not have things work out.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm a college graduate (May 2016) currently doing a gap year internship as a paid medical researcher. I was accepted into a US medical school for Fall '16 admission but decided to turn it down due to my financial situation and wanting some (much needed) time away from school :=).

I have already submitted my US application for this year's cycle, but I'm really interested in international programs. I think it would be incredible to accomplish my goal in an international setting. Have any elected to attend a foreign medical school in favor of a US school? If so, any thoughts/recommendations?

3.82 GPA
3.71 BCPM GPA
510 MCAT
~300 shadowing hours
~200 volunteer hours

How do these numbers stack up with other international applicants? I would hate to decline US admission in hopes of being admitted to a school with a January matriculation date and not have things work out.

If you want to practice in the US, you should go to a U.S. Med school. Turning down an offer is not good. Did you try asking for a deferral for a year?

Reactions: 1 users
You are aware that medical schools ask if you have been accepted, and your turn down will be viewed VERY negatively?

There are people who attend Caribbean diploma mills for various reasons (usually negative ones), and their odds of ever becoming doctors becomes low.

Hi all,

3.82 GPA
3.71 BCPM GPA
510 MCAT
~300 shadowing hours
~200 volunteer hours

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Let me be 100% clear here: You would be an absolute fool for attending medical school internationally rather than in the US, if your goal is to work in the US. Grads from international schools, even those that do well, have a much harder time and less selection in choosing their specialty and getting a residency spot. Rather than turning down your spot, I would have recommended trying to defer for a year -- as mentioned, you may find that applying again is difficult.

Reactions: 2 users
Let me be 100% clear here: You would be an absolute fool for attending medical school internationally rather than in the US, if your goal is to work in the US. Grads from international schools, even those that do well, have a much harder time and less selection in choosing their specialty and getting a residency spot. Rather than turning down your spot, I would have recommended trying to defer for a year -- as mentioned, you may find that applying again is difficult.

I'm an American medical student in Australia at the University of Queensland- Ochsner and we have plenty of U.S. students here who turned down U.S. schools (mostly DO acceptances) to come here for various reasons. Most likely they preferred having an M.D. degree rather than a D.O. degree, others perhaps had a sense of adventure and wanted to live in Australia for 2 years. That being said, it is possible that OP is in the same position and had a DO acceptance that he turned down and wants to go M.D. now.