Interested in urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonick123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am i MS1 and interested in urology(particularly i liked the urinary system). I am also thinking about shadowing an urologist in the summer. However, i have some questions:
1. What books can i read before the shadowing in order to look 'competent'
2. How much manual dexterity is needed for urology(because i can't decide how much i have)
3. Is it true it is possible to have a life outside the operating room, unlike the other surgical specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of this information is available in other threads, but for the sake of boredome, I will answer

(1) Pocket Guide to Urology by Jeff Weider. Thank me later

(2) As much as any other surgical field. We do plenty of cases where terrific dexterity isn't required (e.g. diagnostic cystoscopy.) and plenty of cases where lots of dexterity is required: e.g. ureteral anastamosis or microscopic vericocelectomies/vas reversals. You can generally tailor your practice towards what you feel comfortable with

As you will read if you peruse other threads on this forum, with a few outliers on either ends, most people can be trained to be safe surgeons if they put in the time and effort. There are various tricks to stabilize yourself, but the most important thing is practice. Tie knots, palm a needle driver, etc.

(3) You can absolutely have a life outside the OR after residency. There are relatively few emergencies on call compared to general surgery and you can tailor your practice towards more clinic/small procedures or towards bigger whacks with less predictable hours. Residency can be brutal though. It is a surgical residency, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise and go in with your eyes open.