Interested in Optometry

Goonts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I think so have chosen my career path and it is Optometry. I chose it over Dentistry and Podiatry. I need some sort of guidance though. I am a High School Junior and I would like to know what I should do to prepare. I think it's never to early to prepare. I have seen various posts about requirements like certain GPAs, extracurriculars and shadowing and would like to know more on what I could do to achieve these goals. I know quite a bit about shadowing because my cousin is currently shadowing a Psychologist. I currently have an opportunity to shadow an Opthamologist in Central Mexico during the summer but I'm not sure if shadowing an Opthamologist is even necessary to get into an Optometry school. Does foreign shadowing count in an application? As for the extracurriculars what could I do. I currently volunteer at the Community Church Kitchen and serve as a voluntary janitor in church. Would joining clubs in college (Spanish, Circle K, etc.) help look an application look better? Thanks for the help everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are sure about your career path, then I think getting started with preparation is an excellent idea. I wish I had known which career I wanted to pursue when I was a junior in high school, but alas, I was a junior in college when I made the decision. Do lots of research. Look at Optometry school websites and get information about GPA, OAT scores, shadowing hours etc. There are schools with specific shadowing requirements, but for most, as long as you have interesting things to talk about during your interview you should be fine. The real purpose of shadowing is to make sure this is the profession for you. Make sure you can do what an Optometrist does for the rest of your life before you drop 150k or more for Optometry school. Talk to as many Optometrists from as many different situations as you can. Shadowing an Ophthalmologist is definitely not necessary to get into Optometry school, but you certainly wouldn't regret the experience. Foreign shadowing would be a unique addition to your application, but remember you are applying for Optometry school in the US, and Optometry is very different in other countries. Any volunteer/community/leadership experience you gain will only help you on your application. Get involved as much as you can. Schools are looking for well rounded, service-minded individuals. Spanish is a great skill to have in almost any profession, so that club thing might be a good idea. I feel extremely fortunate to have had an opportunity to learn Spanish. Anyway, hope this helps. You've got time, so just be involved and do lots and lots of research!

Also, just a heads up- Don't look for all the answers on this forum. It is a good source for a lot of things, mostly experiences and opinions. Especially opinions. :)

i will also add to the comment above, you are making a wise decision. if i could go back and do it all over, I would do one of the "4 year and done" type of doctorates (podiatry, optometry, dentistry).

Members don't see this ad :)
Some optometry folks will let you apply after just 2 years of college. They say "BS is recommended" haha. So take the pre-rec courses and take the OATS exam. I almost went to optometry because my MCAT was so crappy and my OATS put me in the top 98 percentile. Good luck!

Some optometry folks will let you apply after just 2 years of college. They say "BS is recommended" haha. So take the pre-rec courses and take the OATS exam. I almost went to optometry because my MCAT was so crappy and my OATS put me in the top 98 percentile. Good luck!

Most Optometry schools require a bachelor's degree prior to matriculation. Some do not, but you will typically be doing more than 2 years of undergrad.

i will also add to the comment above, you are making a wise decision. if i could go back and do it all over, I would do one of the "4 year and done" type of doctorates (podiatry, optometry, dentistry).

I think podiatry requires 3 yrs of residency after Pod school, just like primary care medicine...please correct me if I am wrong