insight into academic aspects of podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.phoot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any residents, attendings, docs, shed some light on the academic side of podiatry? Are you teaching and seeing patients like 2x/week? What's the research scene like? Is there a demand for something specific / particular? Any comments on pay? Did you pursue the PhD/DPM dual degrees?

In b4 - "... use search function!"
In b4 - "... thread combined for asking old question"
In b4 - "... use Google!"

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a resident finishing up at a large academic university hospital. As a resident, we are in clinic/surgery/inpatient every day of the week without any dedicated research time. That being said, research is an interest of mine and almost all the research related work I've done has been on my own time in the evenings or weekends off. Our program unfortunately does not have much if any of a research focus, sadly. One has to be very self-motivated at our program and I anticipate that is the case at any program despite how much research they get done. Regarding a dual degree, I've considered it strongly but am not pursuing it at least for this next 1-2 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Which area of research are you interested in? Are you looking to steer your career towards a more academic direction where you'll be doing grant writing, research, teaching, and cutting down on time with patients?

I'm looking for insight for something in informatics, data, epidemiology, computer software, etc.

There's very little, if any, about podiatry when it comes to that stuff. So if there's a need, I'm curious what ground needs to be covered.

To add onto what @pacpod said, there are very few podiatrists who truly have an academic practice that involves dedicated research time. There are only a few DPM/PhDs and there is certainly a need for more high-quality research in podiatry.

Reactions: 3 users