Input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dochopefully1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I will be graduating with a 3.0 gpa and 513 mcat with decent ec's.
Is it worth applying DO or should I do a post bac/smp?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
I will be graduating with a 3.0 gpa and 513 mcat with decent ec's.
Is it worth applying DO or should I do a post bac/smp?
Thank you
Also forgot to mention that there was a huge upward trend my last year of university!

Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts would be that you should be fine if you apply broadly but I'll defer to those who may know a bit better. This is also assuming you have all your ECs in order.

You should make a detailed thread in the what are my chances forum.

Reactions: 1 user
My thoughts would be that you should be fine if you apply broadly but I'll defer to those who may know a bit better. This is also assuming you have all your ECs in order.

Appreciate the thoughts!
My ec's include shadowing a DO, volunteering, and research is there anything in particular that would help
Thank you!

I agree with this. Apply broadly, especially targeting the newer schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You are a good candidate for an SMP if you were to pursue the MD route. If you don't care then just apply really broadly to DO. You won't know who will be interested with the discordant stats, your interviews will probably come from schools all over the spectrum.

You're pretty much in the same boat I was.

Listen, that MCAT score will really help if you want to apply MD, which I suggest you aim for AFTER doing a MBS/hard science MS.

You're still in college, you have time. Get a solid grad GPA and apply MD.

If you really want to apply DO, listen to what Goro said. Apply broadly. Although Keep in mind - I had a slightly higher GPA and MCAT than you, I applied broadly, and I only had 2 interviews and 2 waitlist. I didn't get accepted until I pulled my GPA up with a masters.

Apply to Touro-CA. They are licking their chops at your stats and would do bad things just to have you.

You're pretty much in the same boat I was.

Listen, that MCAT score will really help if you want to apply MD, which I suggest you aim for AFTER doing a MBS/hard science MS.

You're still in college, you have time. Get a solid grad GPA and apply MD.

If you really want to apply DO, listen to what Goro said. Apply broadly. Although Keep in mind - I had a slightly higher GPA and MCAT than you, I applied broadly, and I only had 2 interviews and 2 waitlist. I didn't get accepted until I pulled my GPA up with a masters.
Appreciate the info! Did you apply do or md after the masters?

Appreciate the info! Did you apply do or md after the masters?

No I didn't, and I do regret it sometimes. I had the stats. I'm at a DO now.

Take that thing about Touro CA with a grain of salt. I applied both years. i had a 3.1/34 (which was a 514 equivalent my year) and I didn't get an interview at Touro CA. I did get an interview after the Masters but I was waitlisted. That being said, it's different for everyone, and if you want to apply DO, i would definitely apply to the Touros. But my point is that a high MCAT may not take you as far as you think without a good GPA.

No I didn't, and I do regret it sometimes. I had the stats. I'm at a DO now.

Take that thing about Touro CA with a grain of salt. I applied both years. i had a 3.1/34 (which was a 514 equivalent my year) and I didn't get an interview at Touro CA. I did get an interview after the Masters but I was waitlisted. That being said, it's different for everyone, and if you want to apply DO, i would definitely apply to the Touros. But my point is that a high MCAT may not take you as far as you think without a good GPA.
I feel you, did you do an smp/post bacc or just a regular masters

I feel you, did you do an smp/post bacc or just a regular masters

I did an Master of Biomedical Sciences (MBS) which I personally think is the best option. Doing an MBS is a decision I'm proud of. SMPs are too high risk (you need to absolutely crush a first year med school curriculum, which most med students can't do). Regular MS programs are good but they won't help you if you take "easy A" classes like MS programs are notorious for. Post bacs CAN be a good option but won't give you a shiny new Grad GPA.

I've known a lot of people who had great success with BU's MAMS program. It's technically an MS, and they call themselves a "special masters," but in my book a 30 credit program with no research consisting of hard science classes that can be taken over 2 years is pretty much an MBS.

Last edited: