input on setting up new contracts for clinicals (out of state)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotaspirations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I moved across the country to start a DPT program and just finished my first week of school. I am already thinking about clinical rotations and would really like to go back to my home state in California. I have four clinical rotations with my program that spans about an average of 2 months each. I would really like to get my clinicals in the west coast.

Prior to coming to PT school, I had expressed my interest to the clinical director of the hospital where I volunteered at that I would be interested to do my clinicals there. She said it wouldn't be a problem to start up a contract with my school (that was the beginning of this year). About maybe two weeks ago, I emailed her to kind of follow-up and finally got a response that this time can't initiate any new contracts.

.....I would love to learn more in this hospital settings and I don't know what to think of her email...
Was it perhaps I was a bad volunteer that she changed her mind? (side note: there are TONS of volunteers at this hospital, and she doesn't really know all the volunteers because she is so busy). Was it because I had a bad rep? I would really love to learn in this setting close to where my parents live.

Can I get your input on this?

Members don't see this ad.

It's likely not you. Clinical sites get flooded with requests from schools for rotations. Each school has different dates and requirements. It's often difficult to get CIs to commit to taking students. Especially the hospital sites....they are the ones the most schools will hit up (there are plenty of outpatient sites, hospital contacts are hard to get). I would let it go and move on. Talk to your school and see what they think and if they have any connections to the area.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

So I moved across the country to start a DPT program and just finished my first week of school. I am already thinking about clinical rotations and would really like to go back to my home state in California. I have four clinical rotations with my program that spans about an average of 2 months each. I would really like to get my clinicals in the west coast.

Prior to coming to PT school, I had expressed my interest to the clinical director of the hospital where I volunteered at that I would be interested to do my clinicals there. She said it wouldn't be a problem to start up a contract with my school (that was the beginning of this year). About maybe two weeks ago, I emailed her to kind of follow-up and finally got a response that this time can't initiate any new contracts.

.....I would love to learn more in this hospital settings and I don't know what to think of her email...
Was it perhaps I was a bad volunteer that she changed her mind? (side note: there are TONS of volunteers at this hospital, and she doesn't really know all the volunteers because she is so busy). Was it because I had a bad rep? I would really love to learn in this setting close to where my parents live.

Can I get your input on this?
Probably the hospital making a policy, not the clinical director or you