Inpatient consults jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lejeunesage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the general availability of jobs that are entirely or mostly consults?
So far, it's what I've liked the most.
Just wondering if I can make a living doing just that and whether those jobs are so rare that I'm going to have to use a recruiter to help me find what I want.

Members don't see this ad.

There are inpatient consult only jobs out there. Probably in small markets. The other option would be subacute only consults. That would be higher volume hence better salary potential.

Just wondering if I can make a living doing just that and whether those jobs are so rare that I'm going to have to use a recruiter to help me find what I want.

Thanks!
What do subacute consults involve?
I haven't had any exposure in my program.
There are inpatient consult only jobs out there. Probably in small markets. The other option would be subacute only consults. That would be higher volume hence better salary potential.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just starting do a consults only gig, I think the best is ff you find a small acute inpatient rehab unit, say 10-20 beds, where you are the rehab consultant and the medical director, there you get the best of both worlds, you get a fat medical director stipend, and if you are the consultant, you can do consults on the acute inpatient rehab unit and do consults in the med surg or other parts of the hospital, I did it at one hospital for the last 3 year and am starting at another hospital, pretty financially worth, plus it males helps to connect you and build relationships with other referring physicians, and helps to build an outpatient practice too if they know your name and face, try giving a lecture to the community docs , etc. tried the snf consults in the past, it was kind of a bust, just got alot of nonsense consults, consults for PMR that didn't have any clear reason asking for the consult. hope that helps

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, very helpful.
Now, how do you find such jobs. Do you cold call places or do you find a recruiter?
Because I don't see very many such jobs posted online.

I agree with AndyDufrane. The kind of setup he has is ideal. One of my mentors has a similar setup and he has done it for years. A lot of hospitals are shutting down acute rehab units specially if they are small. Even free standing acute rehab hospitals are getting bought off by bigger hospitals. In a saturated market it is nearly impossible to find a setup like Andy. Using a recruiter or cold calling would work best in this scenario. I would contact every single recruiter and let them know your specific requirements and let them do the work for you. The more specific you are the better, otherwise you will get inundated with random job opportunities.
I don't think Andy's experience with subacute consults is typical. Your experience with the consults has a lot to do with the facility you are working in and the support staff. I am an integral part of the rehab team at my facilities where I am consulted on all the rehab patients. I help manage the pain, function, team meetings and discharge planning while the PCP manages call and medical issues. We work really well together and I decide based on medical necessity on how often I see a patient after the initial consultation. Some patients are seen once a week while others have to be seen 3 times a week. I perform injections, manage prosthesis, spasticity, wounds, peg tubes etc. Not having to take call or work weekends is hard to beat. On top of the that the compensation is excellent.
Again subcaute consult work is not for everyone. It is a growing field of interest but it is here to stay. With bundled care, ACO, focus on quality measures and acute rehab denials the push is to reduce cost. The company I am contracted with has grown from 4 physicians when I joined to 130 across the nation in 4 years. PM me if you have more questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, very helpful.
Now, how do you find such jobs. Do you cold call places or do you find a recruiter?
Because I don't see very many such jobs posted online.

so yes, My first acute inpatient rehab unit, I cold called the hospital's CEO's office, I think I heard about the gig from another physiatrist who happened to be in the neighboring town, and then after I started apparently it had been advertised on some recruiter's website, maybe try calling up CMO, like its always said, try to build up a network, you never know how it might help out, I think the sweetest places are rural hospitals, as they are usually desperate for physicians, especially hard to come by fields like physiatry, so I could walk you through what I did after I called up up the CEO, just send me a message,

Reactions: 1 user