Inositol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going to consider trying inositol on my patient mentioned in another thread that's been treatment resistant to most treatments for OCD.

I haven't given it out yet.

I can mention this. Consumer Reports every few years does a study where they grab several company's brands of what have you (e.g. vitamins, minerals, herbs) and tests them to see if they are what the company says they are because the FDA does not regulate OTC supplements.

I gave them a looksie being that I have a subscription with them and here's some tidbits that may be useful.

Websites that sell supplements might mention research studies, but they don't necessarily offer reliable, evidence-based advice. Some good places to assess your nutritional needs are the FDA, the National Institute of Health's Office of Dietary Supplements, and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

Don't assume all supplements are safe
Surveys of consumers have shown that many think the U.S. Food and Drug Administration clears all supplements before they are sold. That's not the case. The FDA doesn't generally verify claims made by supplement manufacturers before products reach the market, and federal law doesn't require dietary supplements to be tested for content, safety, or efficacy. One quality indicator is the USP-Verified mark, which means that products that carry it (including their raw ingredients) have met the U.S. Pharmacopeia's high standards. Go to USP.org for a list of brands and products. (If you have kids, read our report on vitamins and supplements for children.)

Good deal. Finding a reliable brand of this stuff might be challenging. I did a cursory look around my local Vitamin Shoppe and saw a number of brands.

The other problem is dosing seems to be pretty darn high in the studies I've read so far (12-18g qd). That could get pricey and very inconvenient. So another big challenge, other than reliability, is to find a company that sells a rather concentrated powdered formulation, because ain't no way I see anyone recommending a patient take 30 capsules/d.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kroger, a local grocery chain in the midwest often offers supplements at a buy one get one free special every few months. I tell my patients if the supplement works and it's at Kroger, stock up for the rest of the year when you see the buy one get one free offers.