Inflated GRE numbers? You be the judge.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellerac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Ohio State's PTCAS...This can't be real, can it?
upload_2017-5-17_9-34-26.png

Members don't see this ad.

Well from a Google search I found that the average GPA of incoming students for Ohio State is 3.82. So it looks like those GRE numbers are right on the money.

Considering those scaled scores don't match the percentiles, it's most likely a typo.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got into Ohio State with a 4.0 GPA, 157 Verbal, 159 Quantitative, and 4.5 Analytical Writing. I was not in the first group of people accepted, so it's possible that those are right, but it does seem high.

Yeah that is definitely an error, as those percentages don't match up with the GRE's posted scores. Also, from the OSU website, it says the following for Average GRE: Verbal =155, Quantitative = 155, Combined = 310, Writing = 4.0.

There's definitely a mistake somewhere. According to ETS's GRE page a 164 Verbal falls at the 94% percentile, not 64%, and a 167 Quant is at 93%, rather than 65%.

From the Ohio State DPT admissions website: "On average, students admitted to our DPT program have an overall GPA of 3.87 or higher, with an average prerequisite GPA of 3.7. Successful GRE percentiles average 71 Verbal, 70 Quantitative and 65 Analytical Writing."

You can google to see what numeric scores those percentiles translate to, ETS has them readily available. I've done enough googling for you today. :)

Never trust any of the info on PTCAS about any school, in fact don't really even pay attention to it. It is almost always out of date or inaccurate. Only trust what you find on the school's website or what their admissions office tells you directly.

GRE's in the 70th+ percentile and close to a 3.9 for average cGPA are quite high means (particularly that GPA), so probably a pretty competitive program, but I suppose a lot of schools are getting to be that way. I wish they would publish medians but they rarely do. The number of students with a 4.0 and 90th+ percentile on GRE getting admitted is ever-increasing I imagine, so the means are trending upwards at almost all schools.