Indomethacin's Step 3 Journal/Road to Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indomethacin_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once again, I wasn't going to make a journal for this exam right away, but I am finding myself having a very hard time getting much work in after I took my Step 2 CS on June 13, 2015. I would like to think overall CS went well and I can continue my journey towards applying for match this year.

Step 1 Exam Taken December 18, 2014; Passed 244.
Step 2 CK Exam Taken May 3, 2015; Passed 249.
Step 2 CS Exam Taken June 13, 2015; Passed.
Step 3 Exam; Will take soon after graduation early next year.

The purpose of this journal is self motivation and to document the work I do every day, so I can be more productive throughout my days.

PLAN FOR NOW:
1.) Read IM Section of MTB 3 first time through in 14 days. Roughly comes out to 20 pages a day.
2.) Read The ICU Book by Dr. Marino first time through in 10 days, 50 pages a day.
3.) Look up information on residency programs on FREIDA, 10 residency programs a day.
4.) Work on 3rd draft of personal statement.

RESIDENCY TIMELINE:
June: Look up Residency Programs

July: Submit LORs, Medical School Evaluation, Medical School transcript, ERAS token.

August: ERAS application, Application Profile, Personal Statement, Track supporting documents, FINALIZE application, application profile, personal statement, LOR authors in AAMCs MY ERAS.

September: NRMP registration. Deadline MSPE on September 15th, 2015.

October: Release of MSPEs.

If there is anything that I missed on the residency timeline?
Any help regarding that would be greatly appreciated.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Finished reading 20 pgs MTB 3.
On page 33/277.

- Looked into 12 programs for Residency. Will give these all a call in this upcoming week.

I have a feeling that things will be good and that everything will work out.

Will update later.

UPDATED 8/12/15: PASSED Step 2 CS!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
- Finished rereading all RX notes in MTB 3 up to page 548/548. ;)

EDIT:

- Completed 108 Nephrology MKSAP 16 question. I have yet to review the mistakes, unsure, 50/50s, and guessed right.

I found these to be the most difficult questions thus far in MKSAP. But I am confident that after reviewing them I will learn a lot and feel better about things.

Last edited:
- Reread half of my Step 2 CK Educational Objective notes.
I had made these notes for the questions I had missed second time through and am reviewing them now. it is a good refresher since I took the Step 2 CK exam nearly a year ago.
Crazy how time flies.

- Reread half of my Step 2 CK Educational Objective notes.
I had made these notes for the questions I had missed second time through and am reviewing them now. it is a good refresher since I took the Step 2 CK exam nearly a year ago.
Crazy how time flies.

1) how did you find MKSAP-16? Are you just doing one pass of the questions? i found that some questions were straight up for clinical practice. It is also useful if you are going into internal med since at my school we do MKSAP questions during morning conference and it makes you look smart. I ended up doing MKSAP b/c I thought it would be a better use of my time than MTB-3. Don't know if I should invest the time to do a few more passes (unless I do multiple passes the info doesnt really stick)

2) did you find that step 2 questions are similar to step 3? I bought both UWORLD Step 2 and 3 - and found them to be similar (step 3 will less diagnosis questions and more management) The only bad part is that there are almost no upates from last year (didn't notice alot of major diff) and I remembered alot of the questions/answers

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) how did you find MKSAP-16? Are you just doing one pass of the questions? i found that some questions were straight up for clinical practice. It is also useful if you are going into internal med since at my school we do MKSAP questions during morning conference and it makes you look smart. I ended up doing MKSAP b/c I thought it would be a better use of my time than MTB-3. Don't know if I should invest the time to do a few more passes (unless I do multiple passes the info doesnt really stick)

I am doing only one pass of these questions. I do however plan on making multiple passes of the notes that I will make. I am going to complete all questions first, then go back and review them. I bought a separate marble notebook just for my MKSAP notes.

2) did you find that step 2 questions are similar to step 3? I bought both UWORLD Step 2 and 3 - and found them to be similar (step 3 will less diagnosis questions and more management) The only bad part is that there are almost no upates from last year (didn't notice alot of major diff) and I remembered alot of the questions/answers

I am finding that Step 2 questions were similar to Step 3.

Anyways today,

- Completed reading my education objective notes from Step 2 CK. ;)
I am very thankful that even though I had read this material only a few times last year, but I recall most of it very well.

- Completed Neurology Section for Archer Theory.
I am certainly learning, but I have mixed feelings about the content, but I will have to go through all of it to really know for sure how I feel.

- Completed 30 questions MKSAP of Neuro. Made notes into a separate marble notebook containing only Archer notes; mostly wrote down things I did not know, and things I found important.

Have 78 more to go, will push to have this completed tomorrow.
They are going well.

Last edited:
- Completed 78 questions MKSAP 16 neuro. I have yet to review the mistakes, unsure, 50/50s, and guessed right.

- Completed Hematology section Archer Theory. Made notes into a separate marble notebook containing only Archer notes; mostly wrote down things I did not know, and things I found important.

- Completed 75 Hematology questions in MKSAP 16. I have yet to review the mistakes, unsure, 50/50s, and guessed right.

Will update later after I complete more work.

EDIT:
- Completed Oncology section of Archer Theory and made notes.

EDIT2:
- Finished 144 Hematology and Oncology MKSAP 16 questions.

Now the next week or so I will spend time making notes for the MKSAP 16 questions and putting notes into a separate marble notebook.

So as of right now,
-Separate notebook for Archer Theory Notes.
(Information is good, but I am a finding a few discrepancies with the other tested sources. As of right now,
MTB 3 + USMLE Rx + MKSAP 16 + USMLE World 3 Including USMLE World CCS + Self Assessments seems to be the way to go for this test. But once I review these lectures in their entirety, I will better know what is really going on. Either way I have heard CCS Archer lectures are really good, so I plan on doing those as well.)

-Separate notebook for MKSAP 16 notes.
These questions are extremely high yield and important in my opinion.

-MTB 3 containing USMLE Step 3 Rx Notes, and I will also put my USMLE Step 3 notes in here.

Last edited:
- Completed Ethics for Archer Theory and made notes.

Will updated after I complete more work.
EDIT:

Need to put a plan in motion:
1.) Watch 5 hours of videos on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
2.) Watch 1 section of video for Archer Theory on Mondays - Thursdays.
3.) Make notes for one section of MKSAP a day.

Once I complete all this, I will buy USMLE Step 3 UW.

Last edited:
- Completed Dermatology for Archer Theory and made notes.
I read all of these archer theory notes immediately after I am done watching the video. I can write very quickly and clearly, so I make notes as I watch the video then I read them afterwards.
I plan on reading these notes ONLY ONCE.

Heard some sad news of a close classmate a few months senior to me passing away. I was very sad and disappointed to hear this. I had recently seen him a few weeks ago, and couldn't believe when I heard it.
Both of us were planning on getting dinner after match day in a very hopeful mindset.

I prayed for him and his family. Hopes his soul rests in peace.

Will continue to push forward, staying hopeful that things will get better.

EDIT:

- Reviewed mistakes up to 20 questions out of 87 for Gastro Hep MKSAP 16. I will finish this tomorrow.

I overestimated the hours I have to myself on a given day. In any case, will still try to complete all Archer Theory and MKSAP 16 review in the next 14 days.

Last edited:
- Reviewed ALL mistakes in Gastro Hep MKSAP 16.I now have 8 pages front and back of marble notebook page notes of this section.
Took nearly 5 hours, I believe this should speed up as I go along.

- Completed ~2 hrs of the Gynecology section of Archer Theory, made notes of anything I did not know, and read them ONCE.

Have been working part time ever since passing Step 2 CK, combined with rotations I got back home at 9:00 pm. Every minute counts, and I believe that I will be able to complete all of my intended goals very well and push forward to do well on this Step 3 examination.

ARCHER THEORY LECTURES LEFT TO WATCH:
- Cardio: 264 minutes 41 seconds.
- Endocrine: 180 minutes 25 seconds
- Infectious Diseases: 163 minutes 19 seconds
- Nephrology: 170 minutes 36 seconds
- Pediatics: 110 minutes 44 seconds
- Preventative medicine: 133 minutes 24 seconds
- Pulmonology: 141 minutes 29 seconds
- Gastro: 165 minutes 27 seconds
- Rheumatology: 130 minutes 9 seconds
- Pyschiatry: 89 minutes 36 seconds

MKSAP 16 QUESTION LEFT TO REVIEW:
- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
- Completed watching Pediatrics of Archer Theory made notes, and reviewed them.

ARCHER THEORY LECTURES LEFT TO WATCH
:
- Pyschiatry: 89 minutes 36 seconds

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
Had to really talk myself out of any negativity I was feeling today. I know I can accomplish my dreams and goals that I have set for myself.
I believe that I'll be the one to match into residency this year and make things better for people all over the world.

Will update after I complete some work.

EDIT:

- Completed Psychiatry Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know, and review the notes.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
- Completed Infectious Diseases Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know, and reviewed the notes.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Members don't see this ad :)
- Started my 3rd pass of MTB 3.
On page 9/548.

EDIT:
- Completed Endocrine Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know. Read the notes I made.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Will update after I complete more work.

Saw Kung Fu Panda 3. Amazing movie, redeemed the original.

Will push tomorrow to get as many hours of the videos completed as possible. I want to start UW as soon as I finish Archer Videos.

Last edited:
- Completed Gastroenterology Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know. Read the notes I made.

EDIT:

- Completed Rheumatology Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know. Read the notes I made.

EDIT:

- Read up to page 29/548 of MTB 3.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
- Read up to pg 39/268 of MTB 2 CK.
I am finding the repetition highly helpful, especially since I would presume the Step 2 CK UW concepts are likely to show up again.

EDIT

- Read up to pg 49/248 of MTB 3.

./

EDIT2:
- Completed Preventative Medicine Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know. Read the notes I made.
Head was not in it as much as it could have been, but will push forward to do harder work in these upcoming days.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
- On pg 59/548 of MTB 3.

- Watched 66 minutes of Archer Theory Pulmonary videos and made notes. Have 75 minutes left to go.

Heading to sleep now, have been sleep deprived for month on end now.
Trying to get 6 hours of sleep tonight, will push to finish Pulmonary and Nephrology videos tomorrow.

- Read up to pg 79/548 of MTB 3.
- Read up to pg 49/568 of MTB 2.

- Completed Pulmonology Archer Theory lecture, made notes on anything I did not know, and reviewed the notes.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Once I review the Archer Theory lectures, and MKSAP 16 questions, I will begin doing the UW qbank.

EDIT:

Was having a hard time sleeping,

- Did 100 minutes of Cardiology Archer Theory Lecture. 164 minutes left.

It is now 3:04 am, will go to sleep now. Will wake up again at my set alarm to complete more work.

Rotation tomorrow possibly cancelled due to weather.

Last edited:
- Completed Cardiology Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know, and reviewed my notes.

- Read up to page 109/548 of MTB 3.

- Read up to page 69/568 of MTB 2 CK.

Will push to get much more work done tomorrow.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

- Completed Nephrology Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know or found important. Read the notes I made.

This marks my 1st pass completion of Archer Theory Lectures.
;)
Overall thoughts:
-Much of his information is very good, but I believe it can be found in the qbanks.
- So if someone is short on time, then going straight for UW 3 and self assessments would be a more feasible path I would think.

My further plan is to review the MKSAP questions and then start UW3.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Had to sit today for my Comprehensive Medical School exit exam, so was unable to get much work done last night. Will keep pushing forward to do as much work as possible.

Match day is tomorrow.
I am very hopeful that I will make it into residency this year. Praying and staying positive.

- Read up to page 160/548 of MTB 3.

- Read up to page 89/568 MTB 2 CK.

Last edited:
Hey Indomethacin,

I wanted to buy the Archer videos but have heard mixed reviews about them. I trust your opinion, you seem like a very motivated and hard working student, so I was hoping you'd give me some insight on what you thought about them?

Are they worth the price and time it will take to review them?

Good luck on today's match!! ;) Look forward to hearing from you.

~Dhenki

- Started my 3rd pass of MTB 3.
On page 9/548.

EDIT:
- Completed Endocrine Archer Theory Lectures, made notes on anything I did not know. Read the notes I made.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Rheumatology
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Saw Kung Fu Panda 3. Amazing movie, redeemed the original.

Will push tomorrow to get as many hours of the videos completed as possible. I want to start UW as soon as I finish Archer Videos.

Hey Indomethacin,

I wanted to buy the Archer videos but have heard mixed reviews about them. I trust your opinion, you seem like a very motivated and hard working student, so I was hoping you'd give me some insight on what you thought about them?

Are they worth the price and time it will take to review them?

Most of his information is found in RX, and USMLE World qbanks, and if you are short on time, I believe qbanks will be a better use of your time.

- Read up to page 180/548 of MTB 3.

- Read up to pg 232/548 of MTB 3.
- Read up to pg 129/568 of MTB 2 CK.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
- Read up to pg 262/548 of MTB 3.
- Read up to pg 129/568 of MTB 2 CK.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

- Read up to pg 285/548 of MTB 3.
- Read up to pg 249/568 of MTB 2CK.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Nephrology
- Neurology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
- Read up to page 315/548 of MTB 3.
- Made notes and reviewed Neurology MKSAP 16 questions.

- CVS
- Pulm & Critical Care
- Nephrology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
- Read up to pg 345/548 of MTB 3.
- Completed making notes and reviewing half of Pulmonary & Critical Care MKSAP 16 questions.

Last edited:
Hi Indomethacin,
I admire your dedication and discipline. I saw your story on youtube - very inspiring. Continue with the good work you are doing.
I wanted to know whether you are using MKSAP for step 3 prep? How do you find it? and do you think it would help to do MKSAP to shine on an IM rotation?
Thank you so much for your input in advance.

Hi Indomethacin,
I admire your dedication and discipline. I saw your story on youtube - very inspiring. Continue with the good work you are doing.
I wanted to know whether you are using MKSAP for step 3 prep? How do you find it? and do you think it would help to do MKSAP to shine on an IM rotation?

answer is no it will not help. if you are a IM resident, it will help with your inservice scores

Hi Indomethacin,

I had this same q when preparing for step 3
-the answer is that MKSAP may or may not help you it really depends
-so for some students MKSAP-5 (not 16) really helped for their shelf exams - I hated MKSAP it was too basic and it was a waste of my time
-with MKSAP-16 it is the same some of the questions are too easy and some questions cover more practical applications.
-MKSAP only covers IM it doesnt cover pediatrics, almost no OBGYN/biostats

-the best use of your time would be kaplan, UWORLD, etc. (the usual suspects)

-like the prev. poster said use it for your intraining exams if you are going into IM

Thank you all for the advice.
I was planning really on using uworld only for step 3 as all the experiences on this forum show that with UW only one can even get a good score.

I was just wondering if you got to do an IM rotation as an IMG what review book would you suggest? Washington Manual, John Hopkins IM Board review, Mayo Clinic IM Board Review or some say Cleveland clinic?

have you also watched ********** strategies video?
Why does everyone say it is so good - it is well over 10 hours watched the first 30 min. and its this guy rambling on and on with slides populated with dense text. Dont know if I should continue to watch it

- Completed making notes and reviewing all Pulmonary & Critical Care MKSAP 16 questions.

- Read up to page 483/548 of MTB 3.

- CVS
- Nephrology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
***./

- Completed 3rd pass of MTB 3.
;););)

- Began reviewing CVS MKSAP 16, should have the remaining questions completed by this weekend.

- CVS
- Nephrology
- Hematology&Oncology

Last edited:
3/31/16
Fell sick and was only able to get minor reading done of articles from my rotation coursework.

4/1/16
Continued to review the MKSAP 16 CVS questions.

4/2/16
- Finished making notes and reviewing MKSAP 16 CVS questions.

- Nephrology
- Hematology&Oncology

4/3/16

- Finished reviewing and making notes for 1/3 of the MKSAP 16 Nephrology questions.
Will try to have this completed by tomorrow.
- Nephrology
- Hematology&Oncology

Plan next is to start USMLE World Step 3 as soon as I am done reviewing the MKSAP 16 questions.

4/4/16

- Finished reviewing and making notes for 2/3 of the MKSAP 16 Nephrology questions.
Took longer than I thought, should have these notes questions done by tomorrow for sure.

- Nephrology
- Hematology&Oncology

4/5/16

- Finished reviewing and making notes of all MKSAP 16 Nephrology questions.

- Hematology&Oncology

correct me if i'm wrong but it seems you are over-doing it w/ the IM
-your exam is May right?
-biostats, peds, OBGYN is as important as IM, surgery, etc.
-CCS is also the deal breaker for step 3

correct me if i'm wrong but it seems you are over-doing it w/ the IM

I am working on moving faster for the MKSAP, I should have started UW already but had some delays in the studying. That's perhaps why it may seem skewed that way.

Here is what I have done so far:

- Read MTB 3 roughly THRICE.
- Completed USMLE Rx Step 3 questions ONCE.
- Completed Archer Theory Review and reviewed my notes ONCE.
-Review my USMLE Step 2 CK Educational Objective Notes ONCE.

Almost about to complete MKSAP 16.

-your exam is May right?

That was the original thought, but my intention now is to take it in June.

-biostats, peds, OBGYN is as important as IM, surgery, etc.

I fully understand that.
I feel USMLE Rx and MTB 3 along with the rest of what I've done has given me at least some coverage of Peds and Ob/Gyn to keep my mind in the loop. I am planning to focus on each subject as hard as I can.

-CCS is also the deal breaker for step 3

Yes definitely, I am going to print the CCS cases found on the USMLE website tomorrow and begin working on them.

I am going to buy the USMLE Step 3 qbank by this week for sure.

I appreciate your message.

Last edited: