Indomethacin's Step 3 Journal/Road to Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indomethacin_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once again, I wasn't going to make a journal for this exam right away, but I am finding myself having a very hard time getting much work in after I took my Step 2 CS on June 13, 2015. I would like to think overall CS went well and I can continue my journey towards applying for match this year.

Step 1 Exam Taken December 18, 2014; Passed 244.
Step 2 CK Exam Taken May 3, 2015; Passed 249.
Step 2 CS Exam Taken June 13, 2015; Passed.
Step 3 Exam; Will take soon after graduation early next year.

The purpose of this journal is self motivation and to document the work I do every day, so I can be more productive throughout my days.

PLAN FOR NOW:
1.) Read IM Section of MTB 3 first time through in 14 days. Roughly comes out to 20 pages a day.
2.) Read The ICU Book by Dr. Marino first time through in 10 days, 50 pages a day.
3.) Look up information on residency programs on FREIDA, 10 residency programs a day.
4.) Work on 3rd draft of personal statement.

RESIDENCY TIMELINE:
June: Look up Residency Programs

July: Submit LORs, Medical School Evaluation, Medical School transcript, ERAS token.

August: ERAS application, Application Profile, Personal Statement, Track supporting documents, FINALIZE application, application profile, personal statement, LOR authors in AAMCs MY ERAS.

September: NRMP registration. Deadline MSPE on September 15th, 2015.

October: Release of MSPEs.

If there is anything that I missed on the residency timeline?
Any help regarding that would be greatly appreciated.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Finished reading 20 pgs MTB 3.
On page 33/277.

- Looked into 12 programs for Residency. Will give these all a call in this upcoming week.

I have a feeling that things will be good and that everything will work out.

Will update later.

UPDATED 8/12/15: PASSED Step 2 CS!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
8/14/15-8/17/15

Have been working part time and working on residency applications and was not able to get much Step studying done.

However, pushing myself to the best of my ability.

- On pg 45/282 of IM section of MTB 3.

EDIT1:

- Saved my 100 programs to my ERAS Online Application. ;)
Positive vibes.

I will have my ERAS application information completed by this next coming week.

Last edited:
- On page 66/282 of IM section of MTB 3.

Will update later.

EDIT1:
- Uploaded my Photo on OASIS for the ERAS application. ;)

Last edited:
- Uploaded my personal statement to ERAS and Authorized my USMLE Scores Release. ;)

Will have this online application completed in this next coming week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Indomethacin! So good to see you here too, 'cause your energy is quite motivating! I'm planning to put together the ERAS application this week and then start Step 3 prep next week. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do as great as you have been!

Hi Indomethacin! So good to see you here too, 'cause your energy is quite motivating! I'm planning to put together the ERAS application this week and then start Step 3 prep next week. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do as great as you have been!

Thanks for the kind words bro.
Sounds great man, wish you the best of luck as well.

8/20/15- 8/21/15
- Completed Work Experience and Education Section of ERAS. ;);)
Will have this ERAS application completed very soon.

In other news,
I have been going to the gym 5 days a week for nearly two months now, I am seeing my body change slowly again before my very eyes.
Will keep pushing forward with all of my might.

8/22/15
- Completed more portions of the ERAS applications.
Will register for NMRP as soon as I possibly can.

8/23/15
- Finished reading The Art of Seduction by Robert Green. :bookworm:
Enlightening read, very disturbing that in history of seduction patterns since times of A.D., utter aloofness and disdain causes a stronger everlasting seduction than constant affection.

In other news,
Trying to learn Smooth Criminal on the violin. So far so good, have to practice a little more, as it sounds very rigid when I am playing. +pity+

Will update later after I complete more work.

8/24/15-8/27/15

- Spoke to my school regarding Dean's Letter and MS Transcript.

- ACLS, BLS, PALS Certifications complete! ;););)

- Finished reading Firestorm by Kelly Ann Riley. :bookworm:
It was alright, pales in comparison to challenge intellectually compared to the last books that I have read.

- Realized I had not added any preliminary programs to my ERAS application so completed doing that today. ;)

Waiting on the MSPE, MS, and the NMRP ID, and my application will be good to go.

I have a good feeling about things. Hoping for the best here.

**/.

**/.

./

Very powerful video.

Another great video, speaks volumes to me.

Last edited:
- Finished reading Dr. Wall's Five Star Study Guide for OB/Gyn Board Exams. :cool:
Blown away that a state board exam covers most things found in First Aid Step 1 and USMLE World explanations.

EDIT1:

- On page 86/282 of the IM section of MTB 3.
Once I finish reading this a third time, I will read the entire MTB 3 book again a 4th time.

- Practicing Smooth criminal on violin. Definitely getting better with the sounds I am capable of making with the violin. But I am noticing some left shoulder and neck pain immediately after I am done playing.
Will watch some videos on how to fix my posture and continue forward. It is not as easy as I thought it would've been but I know I will push through it.
+pity+

- Still going to the gym 5 days a week now. See improvements at a snail pace.
I will keep pushing forward, as I have known that I have done it before, and I can do it again.

Last edited:
- On page 106/282 of the IM Section of MTB 3.

- Started reading Russian Course A Complete Course For Beginners by Nicholas J. Brown.

I am blown away by the passion of this author and his ability to make a book that makes grasping Russian so possible.
I am able to already recognize and enunciate the alphabet. Will go through this book probably multiple times as I feel the repetition will help me learn the language.

Off to the gym. Very motivational song.

EDIT1:

-Started 2nd read of Dr. Wall's Five Star Study Guide for OB/Gyn Board Exams.
I plan on reading this three times so it can solidify to memory during my Ob rotations.
On page 30/100.

/.

Last edited:
Indomethacin... This is pretty amazing... I wish I saw this like a few months back. Would have been helpful. What are you applying for? I'm an US IMG too. It sounds like you will be successful in the match and hopefully to whatever program you want.

9/1/15-9/3/15

- Organized my remaining rotations and documentation.
Did not get much Step 3 reading done, but will push to get back on track.

@ephesus32,
Thanks man appreciate the kind words. I would like to keep my specialty confidential as of right now, but I will share it sometime soon in the near future.

9/4/15

Will update after I complete some work today.

EDIT1:

- On pg 126/282 of the IM Section of MTB 3.

In other news,
- Now I can now read most of the Russian alphabet very well! :clap:

- Worked out in the gym while listening to this today, made a ridiculous difference in the fire and will I had to push the weights. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
- On page 166/282 of the IM section of MTB 3.

EDIT1:

-On 2nd read of Dr. Wall's Five Star Study Guide for OB/Gyn Board Exams.
On page 61/100.

/

Last edited:
CURRENT PLAN OF ACTION:

1.) Fight off this notion of complacency. Continue to read medical and step material and work harder than ever before.
The struggle for knowledge and skills is an ongoing battle.
2.) Fix PDF spreadsheet of residency programs.
3.) Visit school administration tomorrow to follow up on MS and MSPE documents.
4.) Continue to finish reading all the books I bought.

EDIT1:

- On pg 186/282 of the IM section of MTB 3.

EDIT2:

-On 2nd read of Dr. Wall's Five Star Study Guide for OB/Gyn Board Exams.
Page 80/100.

In other news,
- Listen to the Listening to the Art of Seduction audio book by Robert Greene on my walks towards and back from the gym, as well as when I am eating. About two hours left.

- Still practicing the violin, I can actually hear some decent audible sounds compared to the first day that I got it. :highfive:

Last edited:
1.) Fight off this notion of complacency. Continue to read medical and step material and work harder than ever before.
The struggle for knowledge and skills is an ongoing battle.
2.) Fix PDF spreadsheet of residency programs.
3.) Visit school administration tomorrow to follow up on MS and MSPE documents. (COMPLETED 9/8/15, will follow up with them in a few days just to make sure.)
4.) Continue to finish reading all the books I bought.

EDIT1:

-Completed 2nd read of Dr. Wall's Five Star Study Guide for OB/Gyn Board Exams. :cool::cool:

Last edited:
- On pg 206/282 of the IM Section of MTB 3.
I had read the MTB 3 Non-IM sections 3 times during my Step 2 CK preparation.
So after finishing this read of IM section, I will have read the entire MTB 3 book cover to cover 3 times.
Almost there. :woot:

Will update later.

good luck with everything. I was excited when read this thread yesterday.. since i am also doing similar things as you.

Finished MTB 3, doing uworld, Robert greene is also my fav. author. Finished 2 books of his (48 laws and 33 Strag.), haven't read art of seduction yet.
i have a question for you.. since i m also applying for match this season.
How are you able to transform saved programs on eras on to PDF ? are you typing them up 1 by 1 ? or is there a way to do it, that i don't know ?

Thanks a lot

good luck with everything. I was excited when read this thread yesterday.. since i am also doing similar things as you.

Finished MTB 3, doing uworld, Robert greene is also my fav. author. Finished 2 books of his (48 laws and 33 Strag.), haven't read art of seduction yet.
i have a question for you.. since i m also applying for match this season.
How are you able to transform saved programs on eras on to PDF ? are you typing them up 1 by 1 ? or is there a way to do it, that i don't know ?

Thanks a lot

Thanks for the kind words, likewise to you. Also, I am typing them up one by one.

Today,

- On pg 226/282 of the IM section of MTB 3.
- Assigned my three LORs and personal statement to all of the programs I am applying to. ;)
- Still working on updating and organizing PDF, should have it completed by tomorrow. ;)

Last edited:
- Practiced smooth criminal on the violin for 1 hour today. Felt excruciating lactic acid build up in my neck and shoulder while playing the violin. Will probably buy a shoulder rest, I think that should help.
At least holding the bow doesn't hurt my hands in any way. So it's good progress I'd say. +pity+

- Finished audio book of The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene. :bookworm::bookworm:

- Contacted my school again to follow up on the MSPE and MS transcript.

Last edited:
9/12/15-9/13/15

- Finished reading Angelopolis by Daniella Trussoni. :bookworm:
Great book, very interesting read.

Will update after I complete some step studying.

EDIT1:
- On pg 246/282 of the IM section of MTB 3.

Last edited:
The struggle for knowledge and skills is an ongoing battle. (9/14/15 Pushing myself as best that I can. School has uploaded MS transcript.)
2.) Fix PDF spreadsheet of residency programs. (9/14/15 COMPLETED Updating this document.)
3.) Visit school administration tomorrow to follow up on MS and MSPE documents. (COMPLETED 9/8/15, will follow up with them in a few days just to make sure.)
4.) Continue to finish reading all the books I bought. (9/13/15, Thankful that I am still staying true to this. Will try finishing off the books I bought.)

NMRP Registration Begins Tomorrow.

I will do my very best to put my best foot forward.

EDIT1:
Looked over my spreadsheet with all programs once more. I am very hopeful that things will be good tomorrow.

Last edited:
9/15/15

- I have registered for NMRP, certified and submitted my applications to the 100 programs.
I would likely firstly thank God for everything, as none of this would have been possible without God and my family watching over my humble shoulders.

I am very hopeful that the hard work I have done will come to great fruition.

I am very thankful to have seen this day, and I would like to think that things are only going to get better from here.

- Sent my Residency Program list with contact information of all program directors to a few doctors who say they may have some contacts.
I believe hard work surpasses all else, however, it helps if others have known of your hard work first hand.

- Bought a few books on Amazon today; mostly used copies:
1.)
Schwartz's Principles of Surgery, Eighth Edition
2.) Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: Expert Consult: Online and Print, 18e
3.) Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 17th Edition (Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (Single Vol.))

4.) The Prince (Dover Thrift Editions)
5.)
Common Sense (Dover Thrift Editions)

Was a busy day at clinicals today, will push to get much more work done tomorrow.

9/17/15

- On pg 266/282 of IM Section of MTB 3.

9/18/15

- Finished 3rd pass of IM section of MTB 3. ;););)
This marks 3rd pass completion of entire MTB 3 book. 3 times non-IM sections I read during my recent CK preparation. ;););)

Last edited:
9/19/15 - 9/20/15

- Since I am now in my surgery rotations, I started reading Schwarts's Principles of Surgery.
The book is 1866 pages long, if I read 50 pages a day I can have this book completed in roughly 38 days.

On pg 43/1866.

Will update later.

EDIT: On pg 61/1866.

Last edited:
you are truly inspirational. I just had one QUICK question. When you state that you are reading any of the books, for example master the boards, are you reading and taking notes during the reading process, or is it just passively reading. and if it is just passively reading, is it safe to assume that you have a great memory to be able to connect the dots, retain the information, upon JUST reading the material? Any tricks, or tips, or suggetions would be really helpful.

@neverenoughtime,
1st read: Read at the pace of a novel.
2nd read: Read at the pace of a novel.
3rd read: Color coat all drug names. Color coat important words and paragraphs. Make own mnemonics, highlighting, starring high yield topics.
4th read: Same as above. More color coating and mnemonics that may have been left out last time.

I like to read medical USMLE related books a minimum of two times.

I only make notes if the paragraph is poorly structured or poorly worded which is very seldom. Most of my notes come from qbanks.

I'm just an average guy that repeats reads tons of times. If it's important to you, you will certainly remember it.

I treat every question case scenario as if it may be someone I may know, and I put myself in the situation. This way the knowledge we learn, and the mistakes we make from UW will be more meaningful and will stick. Rather than just being some random set of excess information in our brain.

Hope this perspective helps, everyone has their own way of doing things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
9/21/15-9/25/15

- On pg 131/1866 of Schwartz.
Did not finish as many pages as I would've liked, but will push to finish this book fast and efficiently.

- Practiced 1 mock residency interview with friend.
I was the interviewee in this mock.

- Added 30 programs to my ERAS application for a total of 130 programs.
Spoke to my friend who advised me to take this step; I do want to put my best foot forward and have no regrets. I feel much more comfortable after adding these 30 programs.

- Have to contact my school and remind them to send MSPE Dean's Letter, as it is still not uploaded on my ERAS application.

Will push forward with all of my might.

9/28/15

- On pg 253/1866 of Schwartz.
Will push to get much more accomplished in this next coming time.

9/29/15

- Spoke to my school administration, Dean's letter will be uploaded tomorrow.
Very thankful to have reached them regarding this.

- I JUST REALIZED TODAY, THAT I DID NOT HAVE MY PHOTO ASSIGNED TO ANY RESIDENCY PROGRAMS ALONG WITH ONE OTHER ESSENTIAL DOCUMENT.

I will take a day off from clinical tomorrow and call up every single program I applied to and follow up with them.

Since I was trying to have everything picture perfect on September 15, I was so very disappointed that this happened. Was a big blow today for me for sure.
However, I am very hopeful that things willbe good. I am very thankful I picked up on this during the month of September and fixed this.

I am waiting on interviews, and am very hopeful something will come up.

- On pg 273/1866 of Schwartz.

Last edited:
9/30/15

- I called 50+ programs today to let them know that I had updated my application.
A few of them were very receptive and very helpful saying they will go back today and have a look at my application. I am very hopeful that things will be good.

Some programs have already sent out ALL of their invites. This just goes to say that applying with a complete application closest to the 15th of September is one of the most essential things to do during residency season.

I am very thankful to have made these phone calls today.

- Practice two interviews today with friend.
One as interviewee, and one as interviewer.

Will eliminate saying "you know" often in my speech. I have a good feeling about things.

Last edited:

./

10/1/15-10/6/15

Have not been as productive as I would like to be, but still trying to push forward and make a positive difference on my journey.
Mostly caught up with working part time and clinical course work, but doing my best to do better as the days come forward.

- Practiced two interviews.
One as interviewee and one as interviewer.
I did not say "you know" even once this time, very thankful for the improvement that I have made.

- I requested the doctors I have worked with to make a few phone calls in the current area for residency.
I am generally very hopeful that things will work out somewhere, and I do believe that this will also help.

10/07/15

- On pg 317/1866 of Schwartz.

10/08/15

- Work and rotations took up most of this day, trying to push myself as best that I can.

10/09/15

- Contacted a few doctors again to see if they might know some program directors.
Very hopeful that all will be well one way or another, but making these little bit of effort helps imo.

10/10/15

- On pg 344/1866 of Schwartz.

Inching way too slow, trying to push myself further as the fight is nowhere over yet.

PLAN

1.) Finish Schwartz by October 31st, 2015.

Last edited:
Sorry for being out of touch with this journal.
Have been busy with the whole residency process.

Will keep everyone updated with how things go.

So this interview season has been not going as I had expected, to my own fault.

I only recently started doing research and working on publications. As a result of this my application to a gigantic hit despite great scores on Step 1 and Step CK.
I have only 2 interviews so far, 1 of which I already went to and believe went well.

My next interview is coming up in January.

Although statistically it might not seem reasonable, but I am very hopeful and believe that it is still possible for me to match this year.
I will push my very best to submit as many documents for publications as possible before my January interview.

Staying positive, I have a good feeling about things.

Working on research and publications now, hopefully when I go to my interview in January I'll make up for the weaknesses that I may have had.

I also need to take this month and renew my CMEs for my Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer License.
Also have a list of movies I am going to watch.

Positive vibes.

Received another categorical residency interview today!
It is for next week, so on crunch time now.

So far 3 categorical interviews, 2 waitlists.

I have strong faith that things will work out for the match this year for me.

Booked my ticket and hotel successfully for next week.

Working on a publication regarding left atrial symmetry and stroke risk correlation.
Currently working in research facility for clinical trials.

Very hopeful for this year. I look forward to this month and the upcoming months.

Reading up about the program tonight, as well as working on some publication work tonight.

Tomorrow will work on making multiple abstracts and hypothesis so I can knock out multiple publications for submission this month.
Tomorrow I will also organize my belongings to prepare for my flight coming up for next week.

Packed most of my things, wrote out answers for interviews that I would share.

Spent most of the day working, will push to accomplish as much as I can tomorrow.

Did a mock interview at my research rotations with the attending physician and fellow classmates.
Made a few mistakes that I will practice in front of the mirror tonight and fix.

Interview in a few days.

Just a note to self

I believe things will go well.
I will not be nervous.
I will not be tense.
I will be calm.
I will be collected.
I will be very enthusiastic and smile.
I will be myself.
I am there to appreciate the interview opportunity and give it my all.

Last edited:
12/8/15

Flight out to state of interview.

12/9/15

Dinner with residents and doctors.

12/10/15

Interview at hospital.
I believe it went well, I have a very good feeling about things.

12/11/15

Back to my state of rotations.

Worked on some research and publication stuff today.

Will start writing out thank you cards tomorrow and have them shipped by monday morning.

My plan is to go hard on Step 3 once January hits.
Hope all is well with you guys.

Last edited:
12/13/15
Finished my part for my publication. It should be published in this next month or so.

12/14/15
Really trying to finish reading that book for Russian, still haven't gotten around to it because of residency season.

12/15/15
Presentations for my research electice and working part time.

12/16/15
Worked on 3 presentations today for my research elective.

12/17/15
Started working on my CMEs to maintain my R.D.C.S. license.

12/18/15
Completed my research elective today.

12/19/15

Still completing CMEs to maintain my RDCS license.

I am not to thrilled about the lack of work I have been accomplishing. I am going to start reading Schwartz again a second time as I do have my school NBME shelf for surgery coming up before the end of this month.

12/21/15
***./

- Completed all CME credits for the 3 year period.

- Learning Ode To Joy on the keyboard.
I learned all the notes on the right hand, learning left hand notes now and will combine them.

I plan on buying Step 3 qbank on Jan 1st, and begin doing hardcore studying.
I plan to take my Step 3 by May, and will work extremely hard to have the exam completed before residency starts.

Last edited:
12/22/15 - 12/25/15

Have been feeling very under the weather and got very minimal accomplished.

I do realize that when I am not updating this journal regularly I am less productive. Since I strive to be as consistent as possible, I will go ahead and make it my goal for these next coming months starting tomorrow, to keep this journal updated every day.

Hoping and praying for the best for this residency season.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas.