Indomethacin's Step 3 Journal/Road to Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indomethacin_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once again, I wasn't going to make a journal for this exam right away, but I am finding myself having a very hard time getting much work in after I took my Step 2 CS on June 13, 2015. I would like to think overall CS went well and I can continue my journey towards applying for match this year.

Step 1 Exam Taken December 18, 2014; Passed 244.
Step 2 CK Exam Taken May 3, 2015; Passed 249.
Step 2 CS Exam Taken June 13, 2015; Passed.
Step 3 Exam; Will take soon after graduation early next year.

The purpose of this journal is self motivation and to document the work I do every day, so I can be more productive throughout my days.

PLAN FOR NOW:
1.) Read IM Section of MTB 3 first time through in 14 days. Roughly comes out to 20 pages a day.
2.) Read The ICU Book by Dr. Marino first time through in 10 days, 50 pages a day.
3.) Look up information on residency programs on FREIDA, 10 residency programs a day.
4.) Work on 3rd draft of personal statement.

RESIDENCY TIMELINE:
June: Look up Residency Programs

July: Submit LORs, Medical School Evaluation, Medical School transcript, ERAS token.

August: ERAS application, Application Profile, Personal Statement, Track supporting documents, FINALIZE application, application profile, personal statement, LOR authors in AAMCs MY ERAS.

September: NRMP registration. Deadline MSPE on September 15th, 2015.

October: Release of MSPEs.

If there is anything that I missed on the residency timeline?
Any help regarding that would be greatly appreciated.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Finished reading 20 pgs MTB 3.
On page 33/277.

- Looked into 12 programs for Residency. Will give these all a call in this upcoming week.

I have a feeling that things will be good and that everything will work out.

Will update later.

UPDATED 8/12/15: PASSED Step 2 CS!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
- Read 20 pgs IM section MTB 3.
On pg 53/277.

EDIT 1:

- Looked up and documented another 10 residency programs and made phone calls.
1 of the 10 residency programmed I called was booked for this academic year. So I am glad I made the effort of making the phone call as it will save me an open slot for a program that has some availability.

EDIT2:
- Finished making phone calls to about 20 programs of which around 15 answered.
This one residency program admits to giving preference to AMGs although some IMGs are accepted. When I asked that I'd appreciated if he would elaborate a little on that, he mentioned the had 1 IMG out of 12 categorical spots last year, and no IMGs in the 12 spots the year before.
Another residency program requires 1 year of U.S. Clinical experience outside of medical school as a prerequisite for an IMG applying to their program.

Very glad to find this out instead today, now I know where to apply and where not to apply.

These little efforts I am making is going to build up into something great, something good. I am thankful that I am putting in this time now.

Will update later.

Last edited:
- Called another 12 categorical residency programs.

Will buy the ERAS Residency Token tomorrow.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- On pg 85/558 of the ICU book.

Will push to get more work done tomorrow.

Last edited:
- Bought ERAS token and registered for AAMC.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Looked up and documented an additional 19 categorical residency programs.

Had a full day of rotations, and then went on to spend rest of my time in the OR with the surgeons, so was not able to get very much done today.

Will keep pushing, I know that things will be good.

I go to the gym 5 days a week now at 5:00 am. Will push through to better myself as strongly as I possibly can.

Almost 12:00 am now, time to go to sleep.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you have rotations as well? Kudos to you for being so motivated though. You'll be a better Physician because of it.

Don't you have rotations as well? Kudos to you for being so motivated though. You'll be a better Physician because of it.

Yes I am doing Internal Medicine rotations 4 days a week, and an externship on thursdays, and working part time on weekends. Thank you for the kind words, I would like to think that all will go well.

EDIT1:
Will push hard to get more work done starting tomorrow. Really disappointed with the lack of work I was able to complete today.

Last edited:
- Called 19 residency programs, of most that answered some went answering machine.
This one program has NEVER invited an IMG for an interview before. Really funny that there is no way of knowing this unless one contacts them personally.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

-On pg 73/277 MTB 3.

Last edited:
Hey man, I just took CS today in LA and I'm a bit anxious as I have to wait till Sept for the results, so I started reading on Step 3. I have similar step scores and plan on applying this year. Are you a US IMG or non US IMG? And what specialty are you applying to? Reading your posts about no interviews for IMGs kinda scares me. Thanks.

Hey man, I just took CS today in LA and I'm a bit anxious as I have to wait till Sept for the results, so I started reading on Step 3. I have similar step scores and plan on applying this year. Are you a US IMG or non US IMG?

I am a US IMG.

And what specialty are you applying to?

This is confidential for now, sorry.

Reading your posts about no interviews for IMGs kinda scares me. Thanks.

I think you may have misread. I had called 19 places, and only 1 of the 19 places said that to me.

There are some places that prefer AMGs, but there are tons of IMG friendly programs as well. Therefore, I am still quite hopeful. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
- 93/277 MTB 3.

Had a part time job earlier in the day, will push to get as much done as I can today.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Made a table updated with the different residency programs I am considering. I have 61 programs in mind so far. Will reach 100 programs I will consider by the end of this month.

Never have and never will use steroids, but bodybuilding is an important part of me, and this video has a very positive message.

EDIT2:

- Looked up 15 more residency programs that I may possibly be eligible for. The count is now up to 75, will hit 100 programs for my application.

Last edited:
- On Pg 114/277 of MTB 3.

Was trying to read the ebook version of The ICU Book by Dr Marino, but I have a hard time reading books that are not physical books. So I received the actual book in the mail today and it is nearly 1000 pages as I thought it would be compared to the 500 page ebook.

Updated Plan for The ICU Book reading:
Read 2 chapters a day and finish the book in 26 days.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- Looked up another 14 residency programs, current count is at 90.
Have a really good feeling about things.

This is random, but very inspiring to see a video like this.

EDIT2:

- pg 41/976 of The ICU Book.

Last edited:
I am a US IMG.

This is confidential for now, sorry.

I think you may have misread. I had called 19 places, and only 1 of the 19 places said that to me.

There are some places that prefer AMGs, but there are tons of IMG friendly programs as well. Therefore, I am still quite hopeful. Nothing to worry about.

That's cool man. Best of luck with your prep and I hope you land in a good program. Cheers!

Today,

- 140/277 of MTB 3.

- Called all residency programs so far on my list.
Thankful that I was able to go through these phone calls. Most of programs do tend give IMGs an opportunity so I am glad to notice that.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

Disappointed with the amount of work I've completed today. Will push harder than ever to do more work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
6/30/15

- Pg 163/277 of MTB 3.

Will have to take a flight home to take care of a few things, have been preoccupied with that and packing.
Things have been going very slow lately, and now I will be home for 5 days. Either way, I will push to do as much work as I can in this time.

7/1/15

- On pgs 184/277 MTB 3.

- On pg 107 of The ICU Book.

- Called up more residency programs. Very thankful for the positive responses I am getting for the most part.

7/2/15

Had to take a flight at home to take care of a few things, and was unable to get much studying done.

I will be returning back to my state where I am doing rotations on July 5th.
Will push to get more work done in these next coming days.

7/3/15

Went to a wedding of a friend that I had known for over twenty years. It felt really nice to be amongst people from my family again. Almost forgot what it feels like after intentionally locking myself away for this USMLE preparations.

7/4/15

Went to visit my Uncle and Aunt that I had not seen in nearly a year. As much as I am a person that is productive, I am thankful for this time I was able to spend with my family.

7/5/15

I am back in the states where I am doing rotations now. Back on the ground, time to make a difference and make things happen.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

-On pg 205/277 of IM section of MTB 3.
-On pg 129 of The ICU Book.

Last edited:
Hi
I like your journal idea. I guess it's one way yo keep accountable. All the best in your prep.
One question: when you call up the programs what are the types of questions you ask?

Hi
I like your journal idea. I guess it's one way yo keep accountable. All the best in your prep.
One question: when you call up the programs what are the types of questions you ask?

Yes, documenting things is a very powerful way of recording progress towards success in my opinion. Thanks for the kind words.

After briefly introducing myself, I have mostly been asking one question:
Do you have any preference for an American grad versus an International grad applying to your program?
Most are very receptive to the question and helpful, while some get offended that I didn't just check their website current residents. Either way I prefer the call in person, as the helpful people tend to go out of their way sometimes to give helpful advice.
Most programs favor equality, but once in a blue moon, I have heard things like "We have never invited an IMG to an interview before."

I am calling in person just so when I put my best foot forward, it is in a program that will give me a fair chance.

Last edited:
Yes, documenting things is a very powerful way of recording progress towards success in my opinion. Thanks for the kind words.

After briefly introducing myself, I have mostly been asking one question:
Do you have any preference for an American grad versus an International grad applying to your program?
Most are very receptive to the question and helpful, while some get offended that I didn't just check their website current residents. Either way I prefer the call in person, as the helpful people tend to go out of their way sometimes to give helpful advice.
Most programs favor equality, but once in a blue moon, I have heard things like "We have never invited an IMG to an interview before."

I am calling in person just so when I put my best foot forward, it is in a program that will give me a fair chance.

Thanks Indomethacin. I am an old IMG but do not need visa.
Is it beneficial then for me to ask apart from if they have preference for AMG over IMG, also to enquire cut off years since graduation and if I need US clinical experience?

If some websites say outright no for any of the above questions, does it make sense to call anyway?

Also the numbers you call, is it the program director contact or admin office?

Thanks again

Thanks Indomethacin. I am an old IMG but do not need visa.
Is it beneficial then for me to ask apart from if they have preference for AMG over IMG, also to enquire cut off years since graduation and if I need US clinical experience

That information is probably on the websites, but if you don't find that information, those are beneficial things to ask.

If some websites say outright no for any of the above questions, does it make sense to call anyway?

It does not make sense to call them in that scenario; it's just that I tend to miss this information while reading some of the websites by mistake.
In any case, I call to just confirm to see if their requirements/preferences are open to IMGs. Since things are always changing, you never know.

Also the numbers you call, is it the program director contact or admin office?

Thanks again

Clinical director is the person I am calling; I have heard it is proper etiquette to contact them first.
And no problem, sort of new to this process, but we all have to go through it eventually.

Anyways, today:

- On pg 226/277 IM section of MTB 3.
Back on the grind now, will push to read as much as I can.

EDIT 1:

- Finished reviewing UW 2 notes, Clinical Mastery Series notes, and Step 2 CK for Psych section.
Have yet to take the psych shelf examination for my school this upcoming friday at the prometric center, so thought I would quickly refresh this material.

EDIT2:

-Did some research regarding the sources students use to prepare for Step 3, and I have decided to use the following sources:

SOURCES FOR STEP 3 PREPARATION:
1.) MTB3
2.) FA Step 3 (Have yet to buy.)
3.) USMLE World 3
4.) USMLE World CCS Cases
5.) USMLE Website Step 3 Practice Materials
6.) FA Step 1 for Biostats
7.) NBMEs & UWSAs

Granted I will not be able to take this test until I graduate next year, so I will save doing UW3 until closer to exam time.
I do plan on going through the review books multiple times before the end of this year.

Will update later.

EDIT3:

-On pg 181/1005 of The ICU Book.

Last edited:
- On pg 246/277 IM section of MTB 3.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- On pg 241/1005 of The ICU Book.

Last edited:
- EDIT on pg 266 IM section of MTB 3.

Will update later.

- On pg 262/1005 of the ICU Book.

Last edited:
- Finished 1st pass of MTB 3 IM section. ;)

Will update later.

- On pg 329/1005 of The ICU Book.
Still moving a little slow, but I know things will get better. I know that things will be good.

Last edited:
- On pg 376/1005 of The ICU Book.

Will update later.

EDIT1:
- Started 2nd pass of MTB 3. On pg 23/282 IM Section MTB3.

Last edited:
- On pg 423/1005 of The ICU Book.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- On pg 42/282 of IM Section MTB3.

I plan on going to a nearby Barnes and Nobles tomorrow and reading parts of FA Match 5th Edition to see what I can gather from it.

I have a good feeling about things, I know that everything will be good.

Last edited:
- Went to Barnes & Nobles near me, they did not carry the book FA Match.
Does anyone know if it is worth reading? Really considering buying it.

Will update later after I complete more work.

EDIT1:

- on pg 469/1005 of The ICU Book.
- on pg 62/282 of the IM section of the MTB 3 book.

Last edited:
I have revised my personal statement twice before, will revise it once more today.
Also plan on filling out my ERAS application now with all of the information that I can today.

EDIT1:

- Reread personal statement third time, fixed some errors here and there. Will now have it send it to someone and have them take a look at it and proofread it.

- On pg 82/282 of IM section MTB3.
Already read Non IM section of MTB 3 three times, so will read the IM section three times of this book. And then will read the entire book again for a fourth time.

Last edited:
***/.

7/15/15, 7/16/15, 7/17/15
Was unable to get much done these past few days, hadn't been sleeping well at all and had been feeling sickly.

But have picked myself up and pushed to do as much as I could today.

-On pg 565/1004 of The ICU Book.

Will push to even get as much as I can done tomorrow.

-On pg 613/1005 of The ICU Book.

-My personal statement is in the process of being reviewed by my High School English teacher.
Very thankful to have him take a look at it, he was the same person that helped me with my personal statement when I applied to medical school, so I am very hopeful that things will go well with that.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- On pg 102/282 of the IM section of MTB 3.

Slowly getting back on track, will push to accomplish even more tomorrow.

Last edited:
-On pg 659/1005 of The ICU Book.

Bought First Aid Match 2015, will try to finish reading this book in three days. Going to pick it up from my mail now.

Not to thrilled that I woke up a little later than I would've liked, but still thankful to have got some reading accomplished.
Will update later after I complete more work.

Have to fix my sleeping schedule, will try to do 12 am - 6 am everyday. Starting today.

EDIT1:

Realized I have so much more that I need to get accomplished, will have to go on sleep deprivation mode until these Residency applications are completed well.

I plan on sleeping 12am-5am everyday for these next few months.

- Read 114/312 pgs of FA Match 2015.
Will finish this book tonight, even if it means very little to no sleep at all. Have to really push to make up for my lack of work this past week.

EDIT2:

- On pg 204/312 of FA Match 2015.
Currently 2:05 am, will finish this book even if it means no sleep tonight.
Thankful I read the book, made me aware of some deadlines. These were already found on the ECFMG website, but needed this uppercut to my jaw to make me realize that now is not the time to take things easy. Have a lot of work to do for these residency applications.

EDIT3:

- Completed read FA Match 2015. ;)
(Read practically everything except for visa section and couple match sections).
It is now 5:37 am, very thankful that I was able to complete reading this book in one day.
Hopeful that every bit of effort and hard work will pay off.

Last edited:
7/20/15

- On pg 670/1005 of The ICU Book.

7/21/15

Just got back from a 9 am-10 pm rotation day, will update after I complete more work.
- On pg 680/1005

Last edited:
7/22/15

- On pg 704/1005.
Really trying to push myself forward, these 8 am - 9 pm rotations are taking up a lot of time.
Will try to turn things around tomorrow.

7/23/15
- On pg 720/1005.
Doing my best to continue pushing myself forward.

7/24/15

-On pg 103/282 of IM Section of MTB 3.

Will update after I complete more work.

EDIT1:

Video speaks volumes to me, going to push myself forward with all of my might.

EDIT2:

- Read 99/295 pgs of this Cardiac book given to me by an attending physician.
Thankful for the amount of pages I read today. Will update after I am able to finish more work.

EDIT3:

- On pg 769/1005 of The ICU Book.
Thankful I turned things around and got a lot done today. I will try to keep this up in the next coming days.

Last edited:
- On pg 122/282 of IM Section of MTB 3.

Will update later.

EDIT1:

- On pg 199/295 of Cardiac book given to me by an attending physician.

EDIT2:

- On pg 825/1005 of The ICU Book.
It is now 3:01 am, so much for following the sleeping schedule. But will try to go into a better schedule in these next coming days.

Last edited:
- On pg 144/282 of IM section of MTB 3 book.

EDIT1:

- On pg 871/1005 of The ICU Book.

EDIT2:

- Completed 295/295 pgs of Cardiac book. Marks completion of 1st pass. :cool:

New emoticon key for me, for those who are following my journal:

;) = Each emoticon of this marks a completion of a cover to cover read for books and materials that are Step 3 board oriented.
:cool: = Each emoticon of this marks a completion a cover to cover read for books and materials that are not Step 3 board oriented studying, but more for the sake of medical knowledge.

Last edited:
7/26/15

- On pg 164/282 of IM section in MTB 3.
Busy day of rotation and was unable to get much reading done.
Will push to get much more work accomplished in these next coming days.

7/27/15

- On pg 185/282 of IM section in MTB3.

Will update after I complete more work.

EDIT1:
- On pg 920/1005 of The ICU Book.
Almost done with this beast, should be completed within these next two days.

Last edited:
- Spoke to attendings regarding LORs for residency applications with a very positive response.
Very hopeful that things will all be well.

- One letter of recommendation successfully uploaded to ERAS.
Two more to go!

I have a good feeling about things.

- Started reading The Successful Match by Rajani Katta MD. I feel it'll be well worth the read.
Every bit of effort counts, will try to finish it tonight.

Will update later.

8/1/15

- On pg 175/388 of The Successful Match by Rajani Katta MD.

8/2/15

- Finished reading 388/388 pgs of The Successful Match by Rajani Katta MD. 1st pass. ;)
A very enlightening read, I would highly recommend this book without hesitation to any US IMGs or Non-US IMGs.

Every effort counts, I will keep pushing forward. I know that things will be good.

Will update later.

Last edited:
- Another letter of recommendation was uploaded to ERAS today.
One more LOR upload to go!

I have a strong feeling that everything will be good. Pushing towards this residency process with all of my might.

- Last letter of recommendation have been uploaded to ERAS.
3 of 3 LORs uploaded complete. ;););)

***./

Last edited:
- Completed my final draft of the personal statement. ;)
I will have another pair of eyes look at it one last time, then will go ahead an upload it to the residency application.

Fully aware that have not been getting as much accomplished as I could due to reading books on the side, as well as working two part time jobs.

But will push to turn things around.

In other news, huge fan of Henry Lau. Very inspired by his hard work and dedication. Will get a violin soon and try to learn it as best as I can once this residency application is uploaded.

- Took forever, but finished reading The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. :bookworm:
I don't agree with performing many of these acts, but a very enlightening read for the sake of knowledge. Now started reading The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

Will update later after I complete some residency oriented work.

Updated emoticon key for me, for those who are following my journal:
;) = Each emoticon of this marks a completion of a cover to cover read for books and materials that are Step 3 board oriented and marking completion for Residency application.
:cool: = Each emoticon of this marks a completion a cover to cover read for books and materials that are not Step 3 board oriented studying, but more for the sake of medical knowledge.
:bookworm: = Each emoticon of this marks a completion of a cover to cover read for leisurely reading books.

**/.

***/

EDIT1:

- On pg 205/282 in the IM section of MTB 3.

Tomorrow I will beginning upload more of my information to the ERAS application.

I have a good feeling about things.

Last edited:
- On pg 226/282 in IM section of MTB 3.

Will update later.

- Began uploading my information on the ERAS application.
I will try to have all of this work completed in these next two weeks.

Last edited:
- On pg 251/282 in the IM section of MTB3.
Will try to push things forward, as I would like to read more pages in a day from this book.

Will update later.

- Completed 2nd pass of IM Section of MTB 3. ;);)
Will start reading 3rd pass of IM section tomorrow. When I complete my 3rd pass, it will mark the completion of going through the MTB 3 book a total of 3 times.
(3 times Non-IM section during my CK prep, and 3 times IM section for Step 3 prep.)

Will update later.

Last edited:
I Passed Step 2 CS!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly, I am thankful to God. As none of my success in these exams would have been possible without God's grace watching over my humble shoulders.

Exam center: Houston
Exam taken: June 13th, 2015
Results received: August 12th, 2015
Attempt: First attempt.

You can read my entire experience here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/indomethacins-step-2-cs-journal.1135519/

- Reviewed some aspects of my residency application.
I will sit down and anlot most of my time to have this application completed in these next week or so.

Last edited:
- Started 3rd pass of IM section of MTB 3.
On pg 23/282.
Began to color coat the important terminiology this time around, this way, it can be strong when I attempt to recall it in the future.

In other news,
- About halfway through reading The Art of Seduction, very very enlightening read. Should also have this book completed by next week or so.

- Received a violin in the mail yesterday.
Have been inspired by Henry Lau for a very long time; I will try too learn a song on it as well in this upcoming time.

Last edited: