Independent Study/Research Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theory of everything

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently attending a CD to obtain my associate of arts. I'm planning on transfering once I get my AS and go on to get my Bachelor's in Psychology. I found out that I qualify for an Independent Study/Research in Psychology but I'm having trouble thinking of ideas. I still have to get a Professor on board but in the email it said to pitch a topic [such as Memory] or a course. I'm going to take Abnormal Psych and Psych of Personality this fall.

So far the topics I'm really interested in include: Prenatal/Developmental Psychology [such as how those 9 months are vital to development. Or the drugs that could effect the baby and cause serious problems such as cocaine, alcohol, abusing prescription drugs, etc], Learning disabilities [pretty broad but I'm really interested in it], Bystander effect [I've always loved learning about this theory/the story of Kitty Genovese], Ways to treat mental illness [specifically, the ways that are unconventional/unethical now. Such as shock therapy/Trepanning/etc]

I do realize that no one can choose for me but I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions/tips??

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely do something that you're interested in, because any research project (no matter how big or small) can become a chore quickly if you don't enjoy what you're doing. The topics that you have so far all look good for a project - have you got an idea about a specific research question to look in to at this point?

I agree with pizzicarella, Just like anything, you should choose a subject that you're passionate about. You're more likely to succeed in your research and enjoy your research if you're doing it on something you have an interest in.

Make sure you choose something that you genuinely care about. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of your interest areas would be hard to research, but if "research" just means you would read about a topic in psychology and write about it, all of those would be fine.
If you're talking about conducting actual research in terms of creating and executing a mini-study, you'd have to narrow your focus and pick something practical. We did a research project in undergrad in which we surveyed introduction to psych students' behaviors/attitudes about certain things (one guy looked at video game playing and depression symptoms, I looked at body image, etc.). So it really depends on whether you're actually going to execute a mini-study or just review a topic of interest. Something to keep in mind!

Just as a side note, ECT (shock therapy) is still done in some circumstances for folks whose long term depression or other severe mental illness isn't helped by therapy or medications and can be a last-ditch treatment. It is ethical today because the client consents to it. Not many people know that it's still done!

Just as a side note, ECT (shock therapy) is still done in some circumstances for folks whose long term depression or other severe mental illness isn't helped by therapy or medications and can be a last-ditch treatment. It is ethical today because the client consents to it. Not many people know that it's still done!

And, of course, because it is very tightly regulated and has a decent amount of empirical backing as it pertains to benefits and adverse effects.