Incoming DO Student with interest in PM&R...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjfarrell21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a first year DO student this coming Fall and I need some advice. I've developed a great interest in PM&R after watching my father's care with his physiatrist, talking to a physician about his practice, and reading about the team oriented nature and practice of PM&R. Obviously, this could all change throughout the course of medical school, and I do plan to keep an open mind, but is there any advice that current residents or attendings have for someone who is interested in PM&R, aside from good board scores? Also, any speculation as to how the 2020 merger will affect PM&R outlook for DOs?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As a first year, just keep your head in the books and do good on classes. Try to do some shadowing with a physiatrist when you have time, but you really don't have to do much at this point. Its always good to create a good relationship with a physiatrist early who can write you a recommendation letter in the future. I would also just keep my mind open to other specialties as well.

We will have to see how many of the DO programs will meet ACGME standards. Its pretty much across all specialties that some DO residencies won't meet ACGME standards and are just going to close. I think that will be the same for PM&R.