Incoming CC student who's bad at math. Any tips?

Kazengen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can I do to do (upper) my chances of getting into a good pre med program? Any tips for studying in the biology, chemistry, and mathematics fields? What do you think my course load should look like?

I absolutely love biology but I understand that a LOT of math and physics are involved in the higher ups. What can I do to increase my skill in math?

I was told that you should take these classes at a 4 year university instead as med schools look down on CC students. Do you guys think I should get my AA in psychology or something like that and THEN take biology/math classes at a 4 year university?

Members don't see this ad.

If you intend on staying at a CC for 2 years then you should finish gen chem and intro bio and your general requirements in math. Since you're apparently a Psych major you don't really need to take more than a single course of calculus probably. You can blow that out if you do problems and spend a lot of time at it.

What can I do to do (upper) my chances of getting into a good pre med program? Any tips for studying in the biology, chemistry, and mathematics fields? What do you think my course load should look like?

I absolutely love biology but I understand that a LOT of math and physics are involved in the higher ups. What can I do to increase my skill in math?

I was told that you should take these classes at a 4 year university instead as med schools look down on CC students. Do you guys think I should get my AA in psychology or something like that and THEN take biology/math classes at a 4 year university?

Med schools looking down on where you took your core pre-reqs is only applicable if you're competing for a spot in the most prestigious MD programs. Otherwise, no one gives a hoot about where you did your pre-reqs as long as you aced them.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one cares about an associates in anything. Upper level classes advised at university. I was concurrently enrolled in a community college to save money on courses throughout my four years. I had research at my undergraduate institution. I had no problems with my CC enrollment, nor was I ever asked about it. Disclaimer: I did a specialized masters program, which may have been what ADCOMs focused on, RATHER than the majority of my undergrad work.

Also, since I just recently went through the app process, I noticed many programs dropping their calc requirement OR they say they'll accept either Calc or Stats. Stats is easier, and I would think more useful. Though, I'm an incoming OMS1, so I would yield to a current medical student for better advice in that regard.