Income based plans and moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkaglew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a general surgery resident doing two years in the lab. I am in PAYE and filing for PSLF. Currently, my PAYE is based on an income of approx 55k as a resident. In the lab, I am going to moonlight, which may bring my salary up to 100-150k depending. When I go back to being strictly clinical, I assume my loan repayments will be very high based on the income of 100-150k. Is there anyway around this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a general surgery resident doing two years in the lab. I am in PAYE and filing for PSLF. Currently, my PAYE is based on an income of approx 55k as a resident. In the lab, I am going to moonlight, which may bring my salary up to 100-150k depending. When I go back to being strictly clinical, I assume my loan repayments will be very high based on the income of 100-150k. Is there anyway around this?
Recertify when your income drops.

They will sky rocket. Happened to me. Then moved to a much more expensive place and it really screwed me.

This was kind of a zombie thread. In general your payments are based on your most recent tax return. If you file the alternative documentation of income when you have lower income that's the only way around it. You typically are only going to recertify eligibility for partial financial hardship on an annual basis. When do you recertify?