Including a summer fellowship on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Civelle

Learning Chemistry by watching the Bachelorette
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am doing a fellowship over the summer and I'm expecting to get around 400 hours of research. I am planning on applying to MSTP programs this summer given my MCAT score is sufficient (Get the score tomorrow). The essay section of the AMCAS requires you to talk about research you are doing if you are applying to MSTP program and list the number of hours.

I currently have around 700 hours working in a lab over the past 3 years and I have plenty to talk about there, but I was wondering whether or not I should be including my fellowship that I start next week on my application and in the essay.

I have a general idea of what I am doing, but nothing specific. I'm just wondering because I'm certain it will be a transformative experience because it will be my first time doing clinical research instead of basic science research. Assuming I got an interview in the fall, I know I would have more to say about it and in more definitive terms, but if they don't know about at all wouldn't I be leaving out a significant experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Include it in ur app next to other research experiences with the correct dates set in the future and a project description. Don't mention it in the essay since you haven't started