In need help of decision regarding nursing school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychadelicTech

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi & Good morning, so I end of last year I applied to two community college nursing programs in my area. I was waitlisted 100 of 106, slim chances ha. The way it works is if waitlisted at your "first choice" you are not accepted until they reach your number. For the second choice they have to exhaust their waitlist number then you could be potentially picked.

Now trying to decide what are my next options. I am a bit uncertain if Accelerated is the way to go for me. I tried an accelerated online math class once and was the worse experience I have ever had. Entire program was 6 weeks and never received a letter grade above a D. I can confidently say if I did an ABSN program probably set myself up for failure.

My other two options are just apply again to the Associate program's or apply to the Associate & Bachelor nursing program's in the State.

There is a bit of a catch however. If I apply to both Associate and Bachelor programs I have to take a slew of prerequisites for the various programs. So have to take Intro to Physics, College Algebra Pre Calc, Chem 1, Chem 2, Inorganic Chem, Lifespan & Development, Stats, and a few other classes. I would be applying to 4 to 5 programs instead of 2. I can be eligible to apply to two State programs if I have certain prerequisites completed and complete the rest before entering the program.

However, if I stick with the ADN plan I am already done with prerequisites and regular classes for the program. I probably end up taking for the fall if I go this route: Lifespan; AP2; Spanish 1 (Maybe Spanish 2). I would take another Math class again, but would wait until my application is in for the next nursing class. They take your highest level Math class and your grade for that class. For me that is Intermediate Algebra with an A. I would probably take in the spring would probably take Stats or College Algebra.

So far my grades are:
A - Intermediate Algebra
B - Intro to Chemistry
B- - AP1
C+ - AP2
73 on the TEAS
B - Intro to Psychology
2.91 GPA this GPA doesn't factor in my grade for AP2 and Micro. Micro grade I don't know yet. I am hoping for a B- or higher. If I do receive a B- in Micro I'll land somewhere in a 2.89 to 2.9 overall GPA.

I would also probably take the TEAS again because I did decent on every section outside of Science. My weakest issue was the AP section since I took the TEAS with limited AP knowledge; think I just finished AP1 when I took the TEAS the first time.

If I can achieve an A in AP2 think that would help my chances of being accepted into the ADN program and raise my GPA. Think if I took Chemistry and AP2 together I could risk another B- lowering my GPA. Also I feel confident in taking Lifespan can achieve a B+ or higher.

I know a BSN is hot right now. My job is making nurses be registered in a BSN program by 2020. I would probably look into doing an RN to MSN online program if I did do the ADN route.

Appreciate any insight or feedback can give.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can always to Fortis or Virginia College as they take anyone with money. Not the greatest schools, but you can get sit for a license when you graduate.

Hi & Good morning, so I end of last year I applied to two community college nursing programs in my area. I was waitlisted 100 of 106, slim chances ha. The way it works is if waitlisted at your "first choice" you are not accepted until they reach your number. For the second choice they have to exhaust their waitlist number then you could be potentially picked.

Now trying to decide what are my next options. I am a bit uncertain if Accelerated is the way to go for me. I tried an accelerated online math class once and was the worse experience I have ever had. Entire program was 6 weeks and never received a letter grade above a D. I can confidently say if I did an ABSN program probably set myself up for failure.

My other two options are just apply again to the Associate program's or apply to the Associate & Bachelor nursing program's in the State.

There is a bit of a catch however. If I apply to both Associate and Bachelor programs I have to take a slew of prerequisites for the various programs. So have to take Intro to Physics, College Algebra Pre Calc, Chem 1, Chem 2, Inorganic Chem, Lifespan & Development, Stats, and a few other classes. I would be applying to 4 to 5 programs instead of 2. I can be eligible to apply to two State programs if I have certain prerequisites completed and complete the rest before entering the program.

However, if I stick with the ADN plan I am already done with prerequisites and regular classes for the program. I probably end up taking for the fall if I go this route: Lifespan; AP2; Spanish 1 (Maybe Spanish 2). I would take another Math class again, but would wait until my application is in for the next nursing class. They take your highest level Math class and your grade for that class. For me that is Intermediate Algebra with an A. I would probably take in the spring would probably take Stats or College Algebra.

So far my grades are:
A - Intermediate Algebra
B - Intro to Chemistry
B- - AP1
C+ - AP2
73 on the TEAS
B - Intro to Psychology
2.91 GPA this GPA doesn't factor in my grade for AP2 and Micro. Micro grade I don't know yet. I am hoping for a B- or higher. If I do receive a B- in Micro I'll land somewhere in a 2.89 to 2.9 overall GPA.

I would also probably take the TEAS again because I did decent on every section outside of Science. My weakest issue was the AP section since I took the TEAS with limited AP knowledge; think I just finished AP1 when I took the TEAS the first time.

If I can achieve an A in AP2 think that would help my chances of being accepted into the ADN program and raise my GPA. Think if I took Chemistry and AP2 together I could risk another B- lowering my GPA. Also I feel confident in taking Lifespan can achieve a B+ or higher.

I know a BSN is hot right now. My job is making nurses be registered in a BSN program by 2020. I would probably look into doing an RN to MSN online program if I did do the ADN route.

Appreciate any insight or feedback can give.

Most nursing colleges look at the grade you make in the sciences. If you make A's in the sciences you may have a good chance of being accepted. As for the Teas, I was told that if you take it over they will just average the grades. My daughter is doing her prerequisites to enter nursing college and I told her to try to do very good in the sciences and maintain a GPA of 3.8 and above to enter the nursing college.

This is one program looking to apply to:
Writing Intensive Course (W), COM 162 Interpersonal Communication, PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology, SOC 100 Introduction to Sociology, AP1 and AP2 with a grade of “C” or better, CHE 120 and CHE 121 or equivalent with a grade of “C” or better, and MAT 100 Intermediate Mathematics or equivalent test score
The average GPA is 3.0.

Other program wants 7 of these completed prior to application and rest completed before start of the program:
Anatomy & Physiology I, Anatomy & Physiology II, Microbiology, General Chemistry I, Principles & Applications of General, Inorganic, and Biochemistry, Physics with Technology for Health Professionals, Elementary Statistics, Math for Natural Sciences or College Algebra, Introduction to Psychology, Lifespan Development, Writing Arguments/ Intensive Writing Class
The average GPA is 3.4

Other 2 program's looking to apply to at the Community College:
MAT*136 or 137, or equivalent or higher, with a grade of C or higher, Concepts of Chemistry or equivalent with a grade of C or higher, Computer Science Class with a grade of C or better, English Composition, or equivalent, with a grade of C or
higher, Anatomy and Physiology I, or equivalent, with a grade of
C+ or higher, Anatomy and Physiology II, or equivalent, with a grade of
C+ or higher, TEAS score an adjusted individual total score of 53.3% or higher, 2.7 Nursing GPA
25% = TEAS score
25% = BIO*211 (Anatomy & Physiology I) grade
50% = Nursing GPA
I am thinking even if I retake AP2 and achieve a A- or higher my Nursing GPA would be 3.09. My AP1 grade would be a B- that is 25% of factoring in acceptance.
Average GPA is 3.0 but 80 or higher on the TEAS. B or higher on both Anatomy classes.

If I did the ADN program only have to take 8 classes and 13 classes for the BSN program.