Important Info for new Accessions - GI Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone, newbie here.
I have been in the military for 10 years now and am still bitter about the exact same briefing I heard at OIS that we should decline the MGIB because they will not pay for any additional degrees higher than we already have. I've been looking for a way for 10 years now to get this benefit back.

Several people have posted indicating they have successfully gotten this reversed based on "incorrect counseling". Can you please give me more details as to who you wrote to, forms you may have had to fill out, etc.? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

For most people on this board, the discussions of the current GI bill are likely to be irrelevant once the new GI Bill is signed into law (as mentioned by some previous posters).

Some details on the new GI Bill:

Provides 36 calendar months (4 academic years) of in-state tuition at any public university in the country, E-5 housing allowance (with dependents rate), and $1000 per year for books. Those individuals attending private universities will receive tuition up to the in-state tuition rate of the most expensive public university in the state where the private university is located. Additionally, private universities who provide tuition scholarships beyond that amount will have matching funds provided by the government up to the full cost of tuition.

Eligibility is based on the amount of time served on active duty since 9/11; 3 years or more active duty service provides 100% of the benefit as described above, 90 days is the minimum time to qualify (not counting initial entry training) and provides 40%.

Service academy, ROTC, and USUHS graduates are eligible, but the ADSOs incurred from attending these programs does not count as part of the active service since 9/11 (i.e. a USMA grad would have to serve 8 years active duty with 3 of that after 9/11 to get full benefits).

There is no buy in to this program. If you serve you are entitled to the benefits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent quite a few hours yesterday reading the new and the old statute. This first thing is that anyone who is already enrolled in the MGIB can keep it or transfer to the new one. The new bill updates the monthly stipend of the MGIB to over 1300. What I'm still trying to figure out is how you'd apply the new bill to fellowship. It's seems based on tuition and fellowship doesn't have tuition. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ed

I spent quite a few hours yesterday reading the new and the old statute. This first thing is that anyone who is already enrolled in the MGIB can keep it or transfer to the new one. The new bill updates the monthly stipend of the MGIB to over 1300. What I'm still trying to figure out is how you'd apply the new bill to fellowship. It's seems based on tuition and fellowship doesn't have tuition. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ed

Don't know how the post-9/11 GI bill is going to work for people going back into residency/fellowship, but, at least, we are still given the option of keeping the Montgomery GI bill, which is increasing to over 1300/month. If you elect to take the "kicker" with it, the total payment would be nearly 53,000. Still a very good improvement. :thumbup:

I don't know if we could use the BAH or if they could pay the "tuition" directly to us with the new GI bill. I guess we will see when people like Bomberdoc, Dive, and others start to use it. Keep us in the loop.

Ed

A quick question for you ed. I've read snippets of the new bill and if I understand it correctly it also affects vets who are currently using the GI Bill. So my question is: If I only have 6 months of benefits left, do you think I should hold out on the last month provided the bill hasn't been approved yet? Also, how long do you think this approval process will take?

A quick question for you ed. I've read snippets of the new bill and if I understand it correctly it also affects vets who are currently using the GI Bill. So my question is: If I only have 6 months of benefits left, do you think I should hold out on the last month provided the bill hasn't been approved yet? Also, how long do you think this approval process will take?

Ok, I didn't bring my lawyer hat to Iraq, but my read is that you can convert your benefit to the new bill on a month-by-month basis; this means that if you have 6 months left on your MGIB you can switch and get 6 months on the new one. However, the statute says you can only do this after 1 AUG 2009.

Another interesting tidbit I found in the statute is that loan repayment recipients are excluded from participation during their term of payback. It even references loans for health professionals, so the FAP people would appear to be out of luck.

Please don't rely on my read however. Reading the bills before they have been codified is a hazardous activity.

Ed

I'm hoping that this new GI bill includes people who have previously declined the GI bill secondarily to not being elgible. If this retroactively includes me and my ilk I will be very happy!

Does anyone have any links that discuss how residency programs are going to be handled? the old GI Bill was fairly clear on this. Now with the new GI Bill seemingly tied in to cost of tuition, I'm wondering how (or even if) residents will be eligible to use any of the GI Bill? At least the E5 BAH?

Does anyone have any links that discuss how residency programs are going to be handled? the old GI Bill was fairly clear on this. Now with the new GI Bill seemingly tied in to cost of tuition, I'm wondering how (or even if) residents will be eligible to use any of the GI Bill? At least the E5 BAH?

There is a LOT that is not worked out yet in regards to this new program and what deals with what.

http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/20-top-faqs-for-new-gi-bill

That page has some newER info, but a lot of it is still pretty vague. Also pasted from that same page:

Tip

The Department of Veterans Affairs is the only resource that can answer your personal and specific GI Bill entitlement questions. Call 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Hope that helps

Hi there,

New student doc forum member. This thread has raised some interesting points, I have a couple questions I wonder if anyone knows:

-I am finishing up my initial HPSP active duty service obligation to the USAF in the summer of 2009. I completed my residency on active duty back in 2005, so at my time of separation, I would have approximately 7 years time in service. I am currently applying for fellowship training as a civilian.

1 - Do any of the new GI bill benefits apply to me? I read above (thank for the info edmadison) that active duty service time completed for loan repayment is not eligible.
2 - If so, does fellowhip training count as eligible for GI bill benefits?

I have heard that there are some folks who are current residents who are using the GI bill. I contacted the VA customer service center and they were not sure about this situation. Best they could tell me was to apply once I found out my training location after the match occurs.

Thanks for the help!

(thank for the info edmadison) that active duty service time completed for loan repayment is not eligible.

Careful! What I was noting that the bill seemed to exclude loan repayment contracts during the initial active duty service agreement, but NOT the scholarship program. Thus, you may be covered. My read (as I noted in my message) was based on the proposed bill rather than the statute. I have not read the final statute.

It seems clear the the MGIB (the old GI Bill) would cover residency/fellowship. Thus if you paid in, you should be able to use it. What is unclear is how the new bill would cover this. It is linked to the cost of attendance of the institution rather than a flat payment. Since there is no cost of attendance to fellowship what would the payment be?

Ed

Edmadison,

Read your comments above, a couple of fine points that are a little unclear to me

-Reading the language of the bill, it specifically states in the "exceptions" subparagraph that those who receive benefits under title section 2107 of title 10 of the us code are excluded. I believe this is the law that the HPSP and FAP fall under. However, in the preceding language of the 9/11 law, it mentions those who receive their commission on or after 9/11. When you accept the HPSP scholarship, your commission is an inactive reserve commission dated the time you enter med school. For example, mine says 1998 - I did not complete med school and enter active duty until 2002. I am curious as to anyone's thoughts on how this applies to HPSP eligibility
-Also, say the time you serve paying back your ADSO is complete. Does the time then start to count towards eligibility toward the GI bill. For example, the Air Force Personnel Center records list my ADSO related to HPSP ending 7 June 2009. Would I then have to serve an additional 90 days to qualify?
-Lastly, I think a residency/fellowship would probably qualify as on-the-job training. Since you actually get paid for your time, there would be no tuition assistance. You might also be eligible for the E5 BAH.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the HPSP program at a civilian med school. I have no prior enlisted time. Are officers eligible for the GI bill?

-Reading the language of the bill, it specifically states in the "exceptions" subparagraph that those who receive benefits under title section 2107 of title 10 of the us code are excluded. I believe this is the law that the HPSP and FAP fall under.

Section 2107 falls under chapter 103 which is Senior Reserves Officers' Training Corps. HPSP and FAP fall under chapter 105.

I got out in May, had all of my MGIB paperwork submitted and my residency verified, etc in June... and still haven't seen a penny from the GI Bill. I receive various nonsense letters from the VA that are probably just meant to keep you from calling. Emailing and calling yields nothing as nobody knows anything (standard govt workers).

Does anybody out there who's done this before know approximately how long this should take? I'm basically wondering if 3-4 months to process GI Bill paperwork is standard or have they lost my file?

Quick update:

My latest call to the VA reveals that they didn't process my paperwork because they thought it was filled out incorrectly. Of course, they couldn't be bothered to tell me this and instead just let me sit and wait. Of course I kept a copy of everything and went over it on the phone in painful detail with the VA idiots (who are dumber than USAF Finance -- a feat I previously thought unattainable), who decided that I had indeed filled it out correctly... but now I have to resubmit anyway. They probably just lost it. So everything is resubmitted, residency program re-verified (had the program coordinator do that again just so they couldn't claim that it wasn't done or wasn't done correctly), and now they promise that by mid September I'll have back pay for the last 3 months to catch me up to the current month. So far... nothing. In another week, I'll be finding out if the Senators in my new state have any pull with the VA.

It is a good thing I'm not counting on this money to survive. My Scotch budget is suffering, however... and that is no way to live.

It is a good thing I'm not counting on this money to survive. My Scotch budget is suffering, however... and that is no way to live.

Two issues: Please tell me you drink single malt and make sure you get yourself a nice Islay malt. If you cant taste the dirt, it aint real Scotch.

Ed

Two issues: Please tell me you drink single malt and make sure you get yourself a nice Islay malt. If you cant taste the dirt, it aint real Scotch.

Ed

Favorite is Lagavulin. Ardbeg is a close second.

VA promises I'll have a few thousand bucks by Thursday.

Just checked USAA. Pending direct deposit for 2 months worth of GI Bill... minus the extra that should be there for the $600 kicker. Kinda figured that would require another phonecall. But at least the thing got started.

Now to find a nice bottle of Scotch... or maybe I'll just dump it into the stock market. Buy when there's blood in the streets.

this is great news! could you give everyone a recap of forms and POC's required to get this machine moving.

it's great to know this money is available for residency in the civilian world. will it also bring the funding required if you are going for an unfunded spot?

Last edited:
Has anyone used this benefit for CME? I've already done the residency so this seems to be the best way to take advantage of the GI Bill for me. After spending a hour on the phone my only answer was, "I don't think they would cover anything like that." And, "you need to have the school call us." Yeah right. If anyone has had success please let me know.

I looked over the proposed payouts for the new GI bill and I can't see how it would be useful for pursuing an MBA or MPH. According to the GI bill's website, the amount of money given is based upon a state's public universities, with an average of $6,000 per year. I don't see how that could cover a master's degree.

I looked over the proposed payouts for the new GI bill and I can't see how it would be useful for pursuing an MBA or MPH. According to the GI bill's website, the amount of money given is based upon a state's public universities, with an average of $6,000 per year. I don't see how that could cover a master's degree.
It's the state public university tuition plus BAH at E5, right?

My understanding is the the system is set up for undergraduate degrees, so they won't be increasing the entitlement for any graduate level degree. However, it would be worth engaging the program director about it. I was told by the Navy RAM program director that some schools will pay the balance out of their endowment for federally funded students (such as RAMs) this situation is notably different, but worth asking about.

I'm finally posting a rundown of my GI Bill experience. This is for the old version of the MGIB only. I don't know anything about the new version that is set to start in (I believe) August 2009. I don't know if the new GI Bill will pay for civ residency. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the old GI Bill does. Someone smarter than me might be able to find out if you can still elect the old GI Bill after Aug 2009.

First and foremost for those of you getting ready to join milmed and make the biggest mistake of your life, do not refuse GI Bill participation. Even if you are sure, just don't fill out the form. This usually happens at COT/OIS/MIMSO or whatever they are calling it this year. They will tell you that you will have your terminal degree and that you don't need MGIB. They are either lying or more likely don't know what they are talking about. Just don't fill out the DD Form 2366. You aren't required to make a decision at that point. If they tell you otherwise, ask to speak to the commander. If the commander tells you that you have to decide on the spot and to fill out the 2366, politely refuse and ask where the Inspector General's office is located. Not filling out the 2366 keeps your options open in case your mind changes at some point in the future. Options are good and are few and far between when you're in the military.

OK, so you loved the idea of milmed all through med school and now find yourself hating it when you are a newly minted "graduate" of your internship and are sent on a hellish GMO tour. Your thoughts of military GME and making a career of it are erased forever from your mind. You wisely choose to do your 3-4 year hitch, GTFO ASAP, and do a high quality civilian residency...

Go to your base education office and finally fill out that DD 2366. This authorizes a deduction of $100 per month from your paycheck until you have paid $1200 into the MGIB. You don't have to do this 12 months prior to separation, however. I did mine in February and was out the last day of April. The finance goons will just deduct the remainder of the $1200 from your last paycheck.

This should be common sense, but it always bears repeating...
KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING! Paperwork gets lost all the time and a backup copy can save a lot of wasted time and headaches.

You definitely want to also take advantage of the $600 buy-up or "Kicker." This gives you an extra $150 per month for a one-time contribution of $600. Hmmm, let's do the math 36 x 150 = $5,400 for $600. This is a good deal. Wait until the first MGIB decuction for $100 shows up on your Leave and Earnings Statement (and by the way, keep a paper copy of each LES, too) and go back to the education office to elect the $600 Kicker. Fill out a DD Form 2366-1 which authorizes a one-time deduction of $600 from your paycheck. Keep a copy (of course), take this to Finance and find someone who has processed MGIB paperwork before so the chances of screw-up are somewhat reduced. Keep any paperwork they give you back, such as a receipt. Otherwise, be sure to print and save the monthly LES that shows the $600 deduction. This will show up as "MGIB-Additional" on the LES.

Once your $1200 is paid and the $600 Kicker is taken care of, go back to counting down the days until your eventual escape from the hell that is milmed.

When you figure out where you'll be going for civ residency, search for your program on the VA website:
http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchLCCriteria.do
If they are on the list, you're golden. If not, you will have to contact the program and ask them to submit for approval for MGIB.

At some point after separating (within a few weeks, in my case) you will get a letter from the VA stating that you are eligible for GI Bill benefits. You have to apply for these benefits on the VA website:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/How_to_Apply.htm
This will take you to the VONAPP. You will need info from your DD-214 (Discharge from Active Duty) such as dates of active duty service, etc. It is relatively painless and takes 20-30 mins.

Once your application is in, it will again take a few weeks to process. Be sure to talk with whoever verifies GI Bill status for your program and ensure that everything is correct on that end. The program coordinator at my program has had a few MGIB recipients over the years and luckily knew to double check with the VA that things were in place and that nothing was lost. Eventually you will be able to verify enrollment online at the WAVE page of the VA site:
https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/default.cfm
You have to verify attendance on the last day of each month and you will get a check or direct deposit about a week later. Now the money should start rolling in... but wait, what about that extra $150 from the Kicker?

Since the VA is a government operation, it is extremely disorganized and the right hand doesn't talk to the left. You have to provide evidence that you elected and paid for the Kicker back when you were on active duty. This is where keeping a copy of everything comes in handy. You will need to mail a copy of the DD 2366-1 electing the Kicker and a copy of your LES (or receipt) showing that you paid the $600 to your regional VA office.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/contact/Office_locations.htm
After a few more weeks, you will receive back pay for the previous months that you didn't get the extra $150. Eventually, you will get another letter from the VA stating that your benefits have changed to reflect the new monthly amount.

Keep verifying attendance on the last of the month and the money keeps rolling in. It takes a while, but it is totally worth it.

I have finished paying my MGIB however was accepted into military residency this yr. Program will start July 1, 2009. Can I use the GI bill during residency.

Anyone have any insight on how to have the MGIB pay for pre-med course work? My ed plan is for my cognitive/neuroscience degree but much of the pre-med track isn't part of my degree.

I found this mention about using the post 9/11 GI bill with residency:

https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba....2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9cG9zdC05LzEx&p_li=&p_topview=1

they say it's approved, and that's good news.

They just mention the BAH, but I am curious if they could pay tuition to the residency program and the program just refunding the money back to the resident?

I am guessing no, but there may actually be a better option for those with kids. Supposedly, if you serve for 10 years in the AD/Guard/Active Reserve, you are eligible for transfer of benefits to dependents. They would in turn have to use the benefits before the age of 26. With rising costs of college education, this could be worth a lot!!! This is what I am probably going to do. Get out of AD and then go inot the Guard while in residency. that way I get Drill Pay and Stipend to counteract the deffering of GI benefits. Just a thought

I have finished paying my MGIB however was accepted into military residency this yr. Program will start July 1, 2009. Can I use the GI bill during residency.

I don't think you can use it for military residency. I could be wrong though

Yes, 4 years as a Marine.

You should be able to apply. Just go to the VA website and apply for benefits online

If you are using the MGIB (aka the old GI Bill), they don't care what you take, as long as you are a full-time student you will receive the full benefit (with kicker if you paid into that)

You should be able to apply. Just go to the VA website and apply for benefits online

If you are using the MGIB (aka the old GI Bill), they don't care what you take, as long as you are a full-time student you will receive the full benefit (with kicker if you paid into that)

I did pay into the kicker and have been using my benefits for over a year, the thing is you work with the VA office at your school and they only authorize classes necessary for your major. So in this situation all the premed class such as physics, chem, and ochem classes are not necessary for my cognitive science/neurosci major. So the VA doesn't pay for them.

One more question for all of you who are much more up to date on this that I am.
I am finishing up my 4 year GMO tour in June, heading off to civilian residency in July. I know for sure I didn't have the $1200 taken out for the Montgomery GIB. I can't remember if I declined it or not in COT, though I did just get a letter from the VA telling me "I do not meet the eligibility requirements...." for the Montgomery GI Bill (I applied on their website).
I will for surely be eligible for 100% of the Post 9-11 GIB. This is where my question comes in: Are the benefits between the two different or the same? Or stated another way, should I send in a letter of appeal for MGIB in order to get more $$ (if that is the case) or just wait to apply for the Post 9-11 GIB when we can do that? Thanks guys.

What do folks think about this?

It's one of the FAQ items on the VA website that says that while the new GI bill allows folks who entered under student loan repayment plans to qualify for the new GI Bill beneifts, "time spent satisfying the student loan repayment obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits."

Would this rule out folks under HPSP?

It's one of the FAQ items on the VA website that says that while the new GI bill allows folks who entered under student loan repayment plans to qualify for the new GI Bill beneifts, "time spent satisfying the student loan repayment obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits."

If you do an inservice internship and residency, that's time spent on active duty that doesn't count toward the ADSO. I believe this time counts.

If you do your GMO time and get out ... my read is that you're out of luck for the new GI Bill. There's still the old GI Bill though, if you paid your money when you came in (or if you claim you were incorrectly counseled and pay it now).

If you do an inservice internship and residency, that's time spent on active duty that doesn't count toward the ADSO. I believe this time counts.
Ah. Your time in residency has paid off your ADSO you acquired for paying off the tuition; the years you owe post-residency as active duty are actually paying off your ADSO for the residency. That makes a lot of sense.

What do folks think about this?

Are you are referring to the Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)? If so, this is completely different from HPSP. Here is a link...

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,44245--,00.html

If you do your GMO time and get out ... my read is that you're out of luck for the new GI Bill. There's still the old GI Bill though, if you paid your money when you came in (or if you claim you were incorrectly counseled and pay it now).

It actually says the same thing in the Montgomery GI Bill that it says in the new GI bill (i.e. Not eligible if you participated in the Student Loan Repayment Program), so you should still be eligible for the new GI Bill even if you are a 4 year GMO and out.

I'm currently using up the last couple months of my old GI BIll (I was active Army 99-04). I recently signed up for the National Guard's ASR/ADSW program while going to medical school. Am I elgible to enroll in the new Gi Bill program?

I did the GI Bill, and the "buy up" and asked for the kicker when I came on. net result was a $2400/month paycheck.

I'm finally posting a rundown of my GI Bill experience. This is for the old version of the MGIB only. I don't know anything about the new version that is set to start in (I believe) August 2009. I don't know if the new GI Bill will pay for civ residency. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the old GI Bill does. Someone smarter than me might be able to find out if you can still elect the old GI Bill after Aug 2009.

First and foremost for those of you getting ready to join milmed and make the biggest mistake of your life, do not refuse GI Bill participation. Even if you are sure, just don't fill out the form. This usually happens at COT/OIS/MIMSO or whatever they are calling it this year. They will tell you that you will have your terminal degree and that you don't need MGIB. They are either lying or more likely don't know what they are talking about. Just don't fill out the DD Form 2366. You aren't required to make a decision at that point. If they tell you otherwise, ask to speak to the commander. If the commander tells you that you have to decide on the spot and to fill out the 2366, politely refuse and ask where the Inspector General's office is located. Not filling out the 2366 keeps your options open in case your mind changes at some point in the future. Options are good and are few and far between when you're in the military.

OK, so you loved the idea of milmed all through med school and now find yourself hating it when you are a newly minted "graduate" of your internship and are sent on a hellish GMO tour. Your thoughts of military GME and making a career of it are erased forever from your mind. You wisely choose to do your 3-4 year hitch, GTFO ASAP, and do a high quality civilian residency...

Go to your base education office and finally fill out that DD 2366. This authorizes a deduction of $100 per month from your paycheck until you have paid $1200 into the MGIB. You don't have to do this 12 months prior to separation, however. I did mine in February and was out the last day of April. The finance goons will just deduct the remainder of the $1200 from your last paycheck.

This should be common sense, but it always bears repeating...
KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING! Paperwork gets lost all the time and a backup copy can save a lot of wasted time and headaches.

You definitely want to also take advantage of the $600 buy-up or "Kicker." This gives you an extra $150 per month for a one-time contribution of $600. Hmmm, let's do the math 36 x 150 = $5,400 for $600. This is a good deal. Wait until the first MGIB decuction for $100 shows up on your Leave and Earnings Statement (and by the way, keep a paper copy of each LES, too) and go back to the education office to elect the $600 Kicker. Fill out a DD Form 2366-1 which authorizes a one-time deduction of $600 from your paycheck. Keep a copy (of course), take this to Finance and find someone who has processed MGIB paperwork before so the chances of screw-up are somewhat reduced. Keep any paperwork they give you back, such as a receipt. Otherwise, be sure to print and save the monthly LES that shows the $600 deduction. This will show up as "MGIB-Additional" on the LES.

Once your $1200 is paid and the $600 Kicker is taken care of, go back to counting down the days until your eventual escape from the hell that is milmed.

When you figure out where you'll be going for civ residency, search for your program on the VA website:
http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchLCCriteria.do
If they are on the list, you're golden. If not, you will have to contact the program and ask them to submit for approval for MGIB.

At some point after separating (within a few weeks, in my case) you will get a letter from the VA stating that you are eligible for GI Bill benefits. You have to apply for these benefits on the VA website:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/How_to_Apply.htm
This will take you to the VONAPP. You will need info from your DD-214 (Discharge from Active Duty) such as dates of active duty service, etc. It is relatively painless and takes 20-30 mins.

Once your application is in, it will again take a few weeks to process. Be sure to talk with whoever verifies GI Bill status for your program and ensure that everything is correct on that end. The program coordinator at my program has had a few MGIB recipients over the years and luckily knew to double check with the VA that things were in place and that nothing was lost. Eventually you will be able to verify enrollment online at the WAVE page of the VA site:
https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/default.cfm
You have to verify attendance on the last day of each month and you will get a check or direct deposit about a week later. Now the money should start rolling in... but wait, what about that extra $150 from the Kicker?

Since the VA is a government operation, it is extremely disorganized and the right hand doesn't talk to the left. You have to provide evidence that you elected and paid for the Kicker back when you were on active duty. This is where keeping a copy of everything comes in handy. You will need to mail a copy of the DD 2366-1 electing the Kicker and a copy of your LES (or receipt) showing that you paid the $600 to your regional VA office.
http://www.gibill.va.gov/contact/Office_locations.htm
After a few more weeks, you will receive back pay for the previous months that you didn't get the extra $150. Eventually, you will get another letter from the VA stating that your benefits have changed to reflect the new monthly amount.

Keep verifying attendance on the last of the month and the money keeps rolling in. It takes a while, but it is totally worth it.

i need some advice on getting a copy of the 2366-1. I elected the buy up but i must have lost the paperwork while I was moving and now that I m out of the service, is there anyway i can get a copy of the DD 2366-1?? Would the education office have a copy of it? I m prior AF btw. Thanks in advance

I was able to get my old LES info as proof that i paid for the buy-up :thumbup:

What do you mean by GME if you don't intend on going for fellowship? Do you mean CME?

You should absolutely reverse your 2366. You can use the GI Bill for MBA, MPH, PhD, further residency/fellowship training, cooking school, pilot training, the list goes on and on. By the time it is funded fully (1800 total investment if the kicker is paid), it will be worth 46,000. This does not figure the 3-4% increase that the stipend has been going up annually. In 2 years, by the time I am going to be ready to cash out my MGIB, I am looking at around 50,000+ for my 3 year residency. It seems that the only docs that are not eligible for the MGIB are people that went through accension through either ROTC or as an Academy grad (Unsure about USUHS though).

Sethco,

Do you know which form is required to reverse the 2366? I just called my MPF folks and sure enough apparently I signed the form way back in Aug 97' declining the MGIB. I can tell you that I definitely don't think I received the information I'm getting from this thread. Does anyone know the details of reversing the decision? Thanks!

Sethco,

Do you know which form is required to reverse the 2366? I just called my MPF folks and sure enough apparently I signed the form way back in Aug 97' declining the MGIB. I can tell you that I definitely don't think I received the information I'm getting from this thread. Does anyone know the details of reversing the decision? Thanks!

The 2366 has been reversed in the past by several on this board. The first name that comes to mind is Bomberdoc. You can send him a PM.

As far as I know, you go to the education office on your base and tell them you want to reverse the 2366 due to "improper counseling". Then, you fill out a new 2366 and have 1200 (plus 600 for the kicker, if you elect to do so) out your LES. Make sure you keep copies of this LES as you will need to provide verification the the VA that you paid into the MGIB (plus kicker). You need to do this as soon as possible, because nobody knows how that old 2366 that you signed will be affected by the post-9/11 GI bill. At least by paying into the old GI Bill, you should be eligible for both.

Anyone know about using the GI bill for CME? Say I go take a course on a new surgical technique and get a certificate saying that I'm trained to do this procedure. Can I get the GI bill to pay for it?

Here are the new regs that everybody has been anxiously waiting for...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...0090331:1.106;idno=38;cc=ecfr;start=1;size=25

IMO, the most significant change (and most relevant for docs that are already residency trained) is the ability to transfer their benefits to dependents. According to the regs, you need 10 years of service. However, this does not specify whether it has to be all AD or if you can mix with Reserve/Guard duty. I asked the VA about this, and according to the regs, your HPSP time counts as years of service (HPSP time also counts as time towards retirement if you go into the Guard/Reserve). Children have to use the benefits before the age of 26 and the 36 months of benefits can be distributed among multiple children. the relevant sections for this are 21.9530, 21.9570, and 21.9625(j).

I think my only complaint (and I admit its just complaining for the sake of complaining) is if you have paid into the "kicker", you will not get this amount refunded.

Hope this helps everybody.