IMG seeking observership advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayvar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply for IM residency in the USA next year, so I would really appreciate some realistic advices. I will summarize:

1) I am currently at the end of my final year of med school and I have 3 exams more to pass in order to finish (I am 25 yrs old)
2) I am planning to take Step 1 in May 2015, and then take CS and CK till 1st September
3) I wasn't creme de la creme student, but I was a decent student in med school, did some research and presented it on some European and home country conferences, and also had teaching experience in preclinical subjects working as some kind of a teaching assistant at histology and physiology
4) Absolutely don't have any USCE, the only clerkship that I had abroad was general surgery in Poland for one month

My questions are:
1) I have some relatives in Detroit and could live there for free for a while, do you think that I should try to contact nearest hospitals to get the observership? Because I have heard many stories of absolute uselessness of observerships if you don't have any contacts and connections with people who actually work in the hospital where you plan to go..
2) Do you have some advice what can I do to raise my chances to get the residency?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I don't get your question. Are u asking if you should do one close to Detroit or not. Where u do it doesn't matter...all that matters is u need to get one. Getting an observership can be very hard sometimes. U need contacts or try and email every program under the earth and ask them if they take observers. Also when u use google...u will come across some hospitals that have observership opportunity.

The things that make you competitive for residency are
1. USMLE scores-high scores
2. US clinical experience or observerships
3. Letters from Faculty from above

The above will get you through the screen for IMGs.
Other factors like your medical school, research/publications, interview skills, contacts etc have some role

Yes the question is a bit vague sorry.
My main concern is actually whether the observership will be useful or not, because i heard a lot of stories that clerkship (i.e. hands on experience) is what matter the most, and of course money is an issue and that's why i mentioned the opportunity to get the accommodation free in Detroit. I guess it's definitely worth of shot emailing or calling programs to ask if they take observers. Thank you for replying :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a clinical rotations placement company to help get rotations in the states. I guess they work with Windsor, but they got me a good rotations in Peds and IM in Chicago. They could probably help. I heard there's a few good ones in Atlanta too. If you look up those companies, they might be able to help.

Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply for IM residency in the USA next year, so I would really appreciate some realistic advices. I will summarize:

1) I am currently at the end of my final year of med school and I have 3 exams more to pass in order to finish (I am 25 yrs old)
2) I am planning to take Step 1 in May 2015, and then take CS and CK till 1st September
3) I wasn't creme de la creme student, but I was a decent student in med school, did some research and presented it on some European and home country conferences, and also had teaching experience in preclinical subjects working as some kind of a teaching assistant at histology and physiology
4) Absolutely don't have any USCE, the only clerkship that I had abroad was general surgery in Poland for one month

My questions are:
1) I have some relatives in Detroit and could live there for free for a while, do you think that I should try to contact nearest hospitals to get the observership? Because I have heard many stories of absolute uselessness of observerships if you don't have any contacts and connections with people who actually work in the hospital where you plan to go..
2) Do you have some advice what can I do to raise my chances to get the residency?

Thanks everyone

hi can u plz help me with some info regarding getting an observership done? I am in dire need for some usce.. plz help...