IMG question: applying for Match w/o Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captopril

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

First of all good luck on the match, I hope to be where you are come 2010.

I have a question for the IMGs out there (or even AMGs who happen to know the answer)...my situation has me taking the Step 1 exam in July/August..leaving no time for Step 2 CK before the Sept 1 application date.

Would it be a bad choice to apply with just my Step 1 score (i.e. without ECFMG ceritification)? I plan on taking the CK in late Sept/ early Oct...will that make a difference to PD's? I don't want to limit my chances and would rather wait one year and have a good shot at a decent program if it really effects my outcome. I've already given Step 2 CS btw.

Thanks in advance for the input.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

What do you consider a decent program? I think all require ECFMG certification in order to consider you for an interview. So in case you cannot cram Step 2CK/CS and get a good score prior to applying, don't bother.

Not neccesarily. All of the programs that I know require ECFMG certification or be in the process to rank you . All also require Step 2CK/CS scores also to rank. But, I ran into IMG's on the interview trail that were in the process of waiting for CS scores. Some PD's will filter you out though before they even interview you. It just depends on the program.

Last edited:
I think all require ECFMG certification in order to consider you for an interview. So in case you cannot cram Step 2CK/CS and get a good score prior to applying, don't bother.
This is incorrect.

While you do have to be "verified" as an IMG to avoid being withdrawn from the Match, you do not have to be "certified". This means, by the time the Rank Order List deadline is present, you must have passing scores for Steps 1, 2CS, and 2 CK. During the Match, every Monday at 1PM, the ECFMG sends updated status reports to NRMP. For example, if you pass CK on February 20th, on the following Monday, ECFMG will send a status report to NRMP saying that you passed. Assuming you had already passed Steps 1 and CS, you would be verified on that Monday prior to the ROL deadline. Each program would then get acknowledgement of this via the status report as soon as they opened their ERAS. You would then not be withdrawn from the Match.

Regarding interview invites without CS or CK: You will still be able to get invites, but fewer programs will make offers without these results. If your Step 1 score is high, you will still get many offers. It is true, though, that your chances of more invites to interview will be higher with both parts of Step 2 completed.

To clarify, being verified is necessary to match. This means you have passed Steps 1, 2CS, and 2CK. You do not have to be certified to match. ECFMG certification occurs after passing Steps 1, 2CS, and 2CK, and graduating from an appropriate foreign med school. Certification has to do with licensing and residency--nothing to do with the Match.

Regarding interview invites without CS or CK: You will still be able to get invites, but fewer programs will make offers without these results. If your Step 1 score is high, you will still get many offers. It is true, though, that your chances of more invites to interview will be higher with both parts of Step 2 completed.

I'm sorry to have caused confusion, but I think OP asked if applying with only Step 1 on his/hers file will land him interviews that he/she wishes (which ones would those be we haven't found out) - my "certification" comment has clearly been misleading, but we all can agree that without Step 2s (CK and CS) the chances of getting a "decent" interview for an IMG (whatever OP considers decent) are pretty much significantly reduced.

I appreciate your responses guys. Sorry to be unclear as to what I was asking: I understand that my application will be processed and considered, technically, even if I don't have my Step 2 CK completed (as Abram said).

However, as JSI pointed out, my concern is that when a PD at a mid tier IM program tells his secretaries to filter out the applications that were sent to them, will they have the attitude of "throw out any IMGs who don't have all their scores." ? I certainly would not want to take myself out of the running for a good residency just because I took my CK a few weeks later than necessary.

Also, is there any precedent established involving contacting the programs, ERAS, etc, to tell them that I will take my CK very soon after the app period (as opposed to someone planning on taking it much later)? Sorry for the barage of questions, but it is very vital to my plans in a few months.

Thanks again for the input everyone.

However, as JSI pointed out, my concern is that when a PD at a mid tier IM program tells his secretaries to filter out the applications that were sent to them, will they have the attitude of "throw out any IMGs who don't have all their scores." ? I certainly would not want to take myself out of the running for a good residency just because I took my CK a few weeks later than necessary.

From my personal experience, this is how it works at quite a few mid-tier university-based IM programs. However, if you're a good candidate, top places (e.g. Mayo or MGH) will recognize your excellence and invite you. It's funny and frustrating at the same time.

Sorry, I just missed something. If you go for Step 2CK in mid/late September, you'll still have results prior to MSPE release and in time to push your case with plenty of programs. I'd definitely go for 2010.

Sorry, I just missed something. If you go for Step 2CK in mid/late September, you'll still have results prior to MSPE release and in time to push your case with plenty of programs. I'd definitely go for 2010.

That is an awesome piece of information. :D Thanks!

Hey everyone...

I have a question for the IMGs out there (or even AMGs who happen to know the answer)...my situation has me taking the Step 1 exam in July/August..leaving no time for Step 2 CK before the Sept 1 application date.

Would it be a bad choice to apply with just my Step 1 score (i.e. without ECFMG ceritification)? I plan on taking the CK in late Sept/ early Oct...will that make a difference to PD's? I don't want to limit my chances and would rather wait one year and have a good shot at a decent program if it really effects my outcome. I've already given Step 2 CS btw.

Your application (CAF/CV) will say, "Step 2CK Sept ... ". Some PD's will use your Step 1 score as a measure to pre-judge Step 2CK. In other words, if you get a 230 on Step 1, they will assume that you will at least pass CK, so you may get decent offers. MSPE is sent out on November 1st. Obviously, as soon after ERAS opens, the better. But still apply without CK. You will get some offers if Step 1 is decent. Get CK done as soon as you are able, but don't risk a fail if you are just taking it right after Step 1 to get into the Match.

Hey everyone...

I personally would not advise applying for ERAS with just the step 1 score, many programs have requirements for you to be ECFMG certified when you interview, although they do not necessarily follow their own rules. With not even a step 2 score in hand, i don't think your applic will be very seriously considered at many places. Plus IMGs tend to get the bulk of their interviews before the MSPE release date, so having your score before that doesnt really help much.

I dont know what the status of your medical education credentials verification is, but believe me , it can get really held up and be a pain if you dont have it . It can cause the ECFMG to not release your step 1 score or your step 2 score and that can add to the delays.

Plus as mentioned above, you may not really feel ready to go for step 2 in Oct, depending on many circumstances, that can really screw up the plot for you.

It sounds as if you are a recent graduate/ about to graduate, therfore I would strongly advise research/ working in your home country or anything to improve your cv, and pply to ERAS for 2011 with all your scores, and if possible the ECFMG cetification, especially if you are going for anything competitive.

I personally would not advise applying for ERAS with just the step 1 score, many programs have requirements for you to be ECFMG certified when you interview, although they do not necessarily follow their own rules. With not even a step 2 score in hand, i don't think your applic will be very seriously considered at many places. Plus IMGs tend to get the bulk of their interviews before the MSPE release date, so having your score before that doesnt really help much.

I dont know what the status of your medical education credentials verification is, but believe me , it can get really held up and be a pain if you dont have it . It can cause the ECFMG to not release your step 1 score or your step 2 score and that can add to the delays.

Plus as mentioned above, you may not really feel ready to go for step 2 in Oct, depending on many circumstances, that can really screw up the plot for you.

It sounds as if you are a recent graduate/ about to graduate, therfore I would strongly advise research/ working in your home country or anything to improve your cv, and pply to ERAS for 2011 with all your scores, and if possible the ECFMG cetification, especially if you are going for anything competitive.

I'm a US citizen, and graduated a few months ago. I wish our home institution's schedule was conducive to applying to this first match so I could skip this dilemma. I appreciate your advice though, and will definitely consider it come summertime.

I'm a US citizen, and graduated a few months ago. I wish our home institution's schedule was conducive to applying to this first match so I could skip this dilemma. I appreciate your advice though, and will definitely consider it come summertime.
I had plenty of interviews as an USIMG without Step 2 CS until mid-Sept and CK until 2 wks before the ROL deadline. While it would be ideal to have 1 and both parts of 2, I would certainly not wait an entire year just to have it ideal. Many programs did tell me to call them back when I passed CK, and they would offer an interview. Obviously, this was going to be too late, but, my point is, I am in the Match. I have 10 on my list, and I will likely match at a strong university program.

Last edited:
I had plenty of interviews as an USIMG without Step 2 CS until mid-Sept and CK until 2 wks before the ROL deadline. While it would be ideal to have 1 and both parts of 2, I would certainly not wait an entire year just to have it ideal. Many programs did tell me to call them back when I passed CK, and they would offer an interview. Obviously, this was going to be too late, but, my point is, I am in the Match. I have 10 on my list, and I will likely match at a strong university program.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you...and that PD's offer interviews w/o all scores. I think I'm gonna give it a shot for 2010 and see where it takes me interview-wise. Worst case scenario I can opt out of the match if all the interview offers are crap. According to your experience, barring total annihilation at the hands of Step I, I should be alright.

Glad to hear that it worked out for you...and that PD's offer interviews w/o all scores. I think I'm gonna give it a shot for 2010 and see where it takes me interview-wise. Worst case scenario I can opt out of the match if all the interview offers are crap. According to your experience, barring total annihilation at the hands of Step I, I should be alright.
Your true focus needs to be Step 1 (and not the Match). I know the timeline will be tight, and you will have a lot of pressure to endure. It will only be more difficult if you look too far ahead and not remain focused on the important tasks. I used to break up some of the study time by slowly working on personal statements and CV issues. Step 1 is a huge hurdle that merits a significant amount of commitment. Do not be fooled by the immeasurable importance of this exam. When you get past Step 1, reassess your situation, and decide if you have it in you emotionally to chug past Step 2CK and CS. If not, shoot for 2011. In that case, a year is not a huge deal. I was required to pass Step 1 in order to be eligible to start clinicals. Best of luck.

Hey everyone...

Captopril,
So what happened in 2010? Did you end up getting interviews (and hopefully Matched) with just Step 1 & CS results? Im in similar boat. Thanks! - R