IMG from bangladesh, want to study masters in pathology in Canada.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sway_212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, some back story. I'm currently a medical student from Bangladesh. I just have my final exams and waiting on the results. Once I pass, I will need to do an year internship and then further studies.

Me personally, I feel like I have an inkling for pathology and want to study masters in Canada. My brother is a permanent resident there and eventually my family might move to Canada so that's why it's my first choice.

I'm currently on vacation in Canada. Not doing much and just thinking what I might study in the future. Is studying masters a good choice in general? Any specific university in Canada which is better for pathology? What about the job scene? I understand that to become a pathologist I need to get a license and a residency from what I read online, but what about masters in pathology? What kind of jobs are available for this specific post graduate subject other than research? I hope to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker in the future so I'm thinking if this is the way to go about that

Hopefully you professionals might be able to give me some advice. Anything is appreciated greatly. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't many other job opportunities for an MSc in pathology other than research. The other option is finding a job in biotech.

Winnipeg has the National Microbiology Lab and I did a co-op there during my BSc years. The city itself is quite dull though.

As you already have mentioned, if you want to get into clinical pathology that is not research, but rather clinical medicine then you will need to go to medical school in Canada, then do a residency in pathology, which is not possible in your current status.

There aren't many other job opportunities for an MSc in pathology other than research. The other option is finding a job in biotech.

Winnipeg has the National Microbiology Lab and I did a co-op there during my BSc years. The city itself is quite dull though.

As you already have mentioned, if you want to get into clinical pathology that is not research, but rather clinical medicine then you will need to go to medical school in Canada, then do a residency in pathology, which is not possible in your current status.

Apart from research, it looks like a masters in pathology isn't going to be very beneficial. But to become a clinical pathologist, that is another step which is also not something which is possible for me at this stage.

Is there any subject I can study in Canada which would lead to more job opportunities rather than just research? I realize that a masters in public health might help but is there anything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apart from research, it looks like a masters in pathology isn't going to be very beneficial. But to become a clinical pathologist, that is another step which is also not something which is possible for me at this stage.

Is there any subject I can study in Canada which would lead to more job opportunities rather than just research? I realize that a masters in public health might help but is there anything else?

Look into Michener Institute. Lot of IMGs become radiation therapist, ultrasound technologists etc. and get jobs that pay ~50-60k.

Reactions: 1 user