IMG Chances

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am an IMG from India and would like to rejoin the workforce as a resident in the US. I request for any valuable inputs which would give me a clear picture of where I stand in the system.

My particulars

1) Passed med school and finished internship in 2000.

2) worked in india ( ICU, medicine, surgery) for a total of 2 1/2 yrs

3) went to UK and worked as a SHO for 2yrs 10 months in Psych rotation in a Training program. Passed my MRCPsych 1 theory but failed the practicals. I resigned my job
to return to India in June of 2006 to look after my severely ill father and got married. Wanted to take a sabbatical of 1 year but now with 2 children , the break carried forward for 6 years.

I have been out of active clinical practice since 2006. I have started studying for the USMLE and will be able to join the match only in 2015 ( i presume if i finish all the 3 steps as well as Step 3 by Feb 14 )

a) With a long break and out of clinical practice do I still stand a chance to do a residency?
I understand that for IMGs 5 yrs post MBBS is the "cut off" point for offering residencies and the age factor too! I am in my late 30s.

b) with regards to the specialities I am interested to do paeds and not psych. Can I improve my CV in this speciality by gaining clinical experience in paeds in India along with a part time research . The research may not be first author, so what are the possibilities then?

I want to do paeds because I do not feel I have the aptitude to do psych. But if my chances of getting a residency per se is slim (due to long break) then can opt for psych due to previous UK experience.

I know this sounds confusing but I am really determined to do my residency, if i get a chance.

c) how can i improve my CV ?

I would appreciate a honest feedback. I will have to return to singapore (where i am currently residing )after my residency. This is also needs to be factored in as I will not be able to choose family medicine / primary care as a residency option.

The honest truth is your chances of getting anything in the US are very slim. You have a very long gap between graduation and training, a long non-clinical gap, need a visa, and had some trouble in a UK residency. Peds is reasonably competitive. Your chances are better in psych given your prior training in the UK -- and even with that, it's not looking good. You have no US experience, and no way to get any. You would need stellar scores on the USMLE, and lots of luck / connections.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the reply.

May i know why i will not be able to apply for oberverships or externships to gain US clinical experience?

You misunderstand, or I simply wasn't clear. Nothing stops you from applying for observerships or externships. It's just that the US doesn't really have a good way for people not in medical school to do so. You can volunteer in an office somewhere (if they will take you), but getting any experience that a program will actually be impressed by is very difficult.

Is being in active clinical practice a criteria for applying for the above 2?

No, not specifically.

Will getting clinical and research experience in non -US country will strengthen my CV?

Not for a position in the US.

Above all is my age going to be a major deterrent for residency?

Your age is not an issue. Your long gap in clinical practice and distance from medical school graduation are.

I will have to return to singapore (where i am currently residing )after my residency.

If you have to eventually go back to singapore, why not do something that will help you practice in singapore?
Why not do residency in singapore where you are currently and plan to be eventually ?

I don't understand why you wanna do residency in US when you have to be back in singapore eventually ?