This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atsamman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I don't know exactly where I should post my questions so ill post them here

I am a final year medical student from Jordan "6 year program" expected to get my "MBBS" degree very soon

I took the MCCEE exam a month ago and honestly I didn't prepare very well, only studied for a month before the exam

I got a mark of 260 which isn't a good mark
I am planning to take the NAC this September

now my questions are:

1) how important is the MCCEE mark compared to the NAC, and how good are my chances to get a match? I am looking to do an internal medicine residency ?

2) if I were to take the (MCCQE1) this November and get a good mark in it, would that help my application and if so what programs will it help me in?

please help
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You have Canadian permanent residence or citizenship? IF you do not, you won't be able to do residency in Canada.

Also there are very few spots for internal for IMGs, so i would not bother going for that with a 260...unless you absolutely nail NAC.

If you are a citizen or PR, then go for Family Medicine and make sure to get some Canadian Clinical experience and LORs.

Remember that you can NOT repeat these exams once you take and pass them, so make sure to do your best the FIRST time.

Reactions: 1 user
You have Canadian permanent residence or citizenship? IF you do not, you won't be able to do residency in Canada.

Also there are very few spots for internal for IMGs, so i would not bother going for that with a 260...unless you absolutely nail NAC.

If you are a citizen or PR, then go for Family Medicine and make sure to get some Canadian Clinical experience and LORs.

Remember that you can NOT repeat these exams once you take and pass them, so make sure to do your best the FIRST time.

thank you for replying

I have permanent residence but my degree will be from Jordan, I already completed 2 months of Canadian clinical experience I have 3 contacts who are willing to give me a LOR.

I will graduate in a month from now and I will take the NAC this September.

will a good score in mccqe1 help my application?

thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for replying

I have permanent residence but my degree will be from Jordan, I already completed 2 months of Canadian clinical experience I have 3 contacts who are willing to give me a LOR.

I will graduate in a month from now and I will take the NAC this September.

will a good score in mccqe1 help my application?

thank you

It can't hurt to have a MCCQE1 score, but make sure it is good and that you are really ready for it...most people who apply will not have the QE1 score so do not rush to take it if you don't have to.

It may be a good idea to look into the BC-IMG assessment program, and see if you can do that. It is a strong boost to an application

I realize this was posted a year ago. If you don't know already, they are phasing out MCCEE so by the time 2019 matches roll up, the new requirement is to have written the MCCQE1 and NAC. I was in a similar spot with a poor MCCEE score, and not a very strong NAC to compensate. However, since they are phasing out MCCEE, they changed the policy of re-sitting the NAC. So you can attempt the NAC again even if you passed to improve your score!

Wait so if I apply in 2018 for the 2019 match. I will have had to have done the qe1? I couldn't find that anywhere on the website. They did note that we would be able to write the mccqe1 without mccee in 2019. Could you please clarify.

I realize this was posted a year ago. If you don't know already, they are phasing out MCCEE so by the time 2019 matches roll up, the new requirement is to have written the MCCQE1 and NAC. I was in a similar spot with a poor MCCEE score, and not a very strong NAC to compensate. However, since they are phasing out MCCEE, they changed the policy of re-sitting the NAC. So you can attempt the NAC again even if you passed to improve your score!
Wow

Wait so if I apply in 2018 for the 2019 match. I will have had to have done the qe1? I couldn't find that anywhere on the website. They did note that we would be able to write the mccqe1 without mccee in 2019. Could you please clarify.

Wow

Best to check the official website. www.mccevolution.ca