I'm looking for advice on NM...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nt231290

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I once worked as nothing but a cleaner in the Nuclear Medicine department in a UK hospital and I was just wondering what could happen if I was to have been exposed to any sort of nuclear radiation? There was a piece of equipment there that the staff used to check for radiation but through the whole time of working there I was never asked to use it. I was in charge of cleaning the secure room where the medicines where stored.

In particular, although this may seem a little far-fetched, I was wondering if there could be, after many years, still a risk of contamination.

My problem is for some reason I have very bad look with technology such as mobile phones, iPads and laptops and they never last more than 3 - 6 months without slowly starting to malfunction and just die out. I keep getting them replaced under warranty and the company's have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Could anyone have any sort of information on this? Or possibly find any sort of information? Should I go for a check?

Thankyou,
Nicholas Tolhurst, Leeds, UK.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Nicholas,

The piece of equipment that you saw the staff using is likely used for "GM Surveys". It is required for technologists to perform daily, and weekly checks for contamination throughout the department. This is a way to protect everyone against excessive radiation exposure. Had there been an area of contamination, the area would quickly be decontaminated.

In response to your question, I dont think that there is any way you were exposed to any significant amount of radiation cleaning the department. Any radiation that you may have been exposed to surely would have decayed long ago. I wouldnt worry about it.