IM/Hospitalist Salary in NYC/Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the typical starting salary for an IM hospitalist in NYC/Long Island area?

• 100k-120k

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • 121k-140k

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 141k-160k

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • 161k-180k

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • 181k-200k+

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've done quite some research on this topic but was unable to come up with a definitive answer, so I'd like to turn it over to the sdn community and ask. What is a typical starting salary/5-6 year experience salary for an IM hospitalist in NYC/Long Island area?

Medscape 2016 young doctor hospitalist compensation report states that in the northeast generally young docs under the age of 40 make ~200k. This encompasses the entirety of the northeast however.
Another medscape 2016 report states that overall in the northeast hospitalists make an average of 231k. (all ages)

I have searched for other threads on sdn, but most are outdated, and others get sidetracked with other topics. I am very interested in becoming an IM hospitalist with the traditional 7 on/7 off schedule. However I will most likely graduate school with close to or just over 300k of debt. I know I have time to think my speciality over, but I'd just like to plan accordingly.

The other threads stated that because NYC/LI are desirable locations, starting offers are pretty low. (140-150k) I would appreciate any other input.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
See my reply in the Hospitalist salary thread for the answer. Short answer about 220k / yr for what's essentially slightly less hours than 7 on 7 off.

Reactions: 1 user
See my reply in the Hospitalist salary thread for the answer. Short answer about 220k / yr for what's essentially slightly less hours than 7 on 7 off.

I'm assuming that's a median salary for LI/NYC as opposed to starting. Even so, sounds like a decent number to me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm assuming that's a median salary for LI/NYC as opposed to starting. Even so, sounds like a decent number to me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's starting, right out of residency. LIJ pays well for sure, solid ancillary support too, better than most hospitals in NYC anyway.

That's starting, right out of residency. LIJ pays well for sure, solid ancillary support too, better than most hospitals in NYC anyway.
Wow! That seems super high for a starting salary on LI. Just curious as to what your source is? Thanks for referring me to that other thread btw, didn't know it even existed.

Wow! That seems super high for a starting salary on LI. Just curious as to what your source is? Thanks for referring me to that other thread btw, didn't know it even existed.

That was their offer to me straight out of residency, so first hand source!

Why are people voting for the 141-160k option? I really doubt that even in LI/NYC starting salary for hospitalist is that low.

Why does IM always make **** salary compared to other specialties...

Why does IM always make **** salary compared to other specialties...

Because reimbursement is largely procedure based. Of course you could always open a concierge practice and charge whatever you like; you'd just need to market yourself well so that people would actually pay to see you.

Yeah (Note: This was a response to a ?now deleted post that asked something like "Is this still the same?")

Last edited: