IM Community vs Academic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

If some one goes to a community IM program - say one connected to a larger acadmic center are they pretty much screwed for doing any kind of fellowship? Thanx.

M-

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. IM fellowships are not that competetive from what I've heard, except for maybe cards and gastro in prime locations. If you are a US grad, you should have no problem at all. I interviewed at a few community programs for prelim medicine spots and they said that virutally everyone who wanted fellowships go them. Obviously, there are good community programs and poor community programs and this would have something to do with it. I think that the community programs I interviewed at were considered to be pretty good ones?

I'm in a community program and about 50% of our residents go into fellowships (including GI and cardiology). No problems. However, if you're interested in a fellowship program with a strong emphasis on research instead of clinical training then you should consider a university program and start doing research during residency.