I'm Canadian Citizen attending a US Med School. I want to do my residency in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSerenity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting M1 in the USA, but I'm a Canadian citizen. For personal reasons, I want to come back to Canada for my residency when I am done here. How do I go about this? Any advice is really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you're MD, start here. USMD is same round as CMGs so you're going to do all the same things. In general, you should also go full tilt into the American match as well, the Canadian one is first so if for some reason you don't match in Canada you can fall back to the US one. Canada will look at all your steps and stuff, but in general you're going to want to do as many electives as possible in Canada and get face time with staff who can write you Canadian LORs. Other than that its the same as any CMG.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah like they said above. Apply to both, unless you're doing FM or something very uncompetitive, and do as many electives here as possible. Programs here are in general so small, it's not uncommon for things like surgery programs to only interview people who did electives with them