I'm below every DO school's average GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemourspremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are many schools that accept students that have GPAs both above and below the mean, so I wouldn't worry too much in that regard. As for your MCAT score, it's roughly equivalent to a 505, which is fairly competitive for DO schools. Though I don't know which schools still accept the old-MCAT scores, I do think you're greatly reducing your chances of garnering an acceptance.

As for the masters degree, having done well in that program does make up for a lower GPA score, but still there's the issue of the MCAT that I previously mentioned.

There are many schools that accept students that have GPAs both above and below the mean, so I wouldn't worry too much in that regard. As for your MCAT score, it's roughly equivalent to a 505, which is fairly competitive for DO schools. Though I don't know which schools still accept the old-MCAT scores, I do think you're greatly reducing your chances of garnering an acceptance.

As for the masters degree, having done well in that program does make up for a lower GPA score, but still there's the issue of the MCAT that I previously mentioned.

what do you mean by greatly reducing my chances? About 21 schools out of 38 will accept my old score and didn't specify they had a preference when I spoke to them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean by greatly reducing my chances? About 21 schools out of 38 will accept my old score and didn't specify they had a preference when I spoke to them.

I believe the average number of schools a successful applicant applies to is about 20. Of the 21 schools that accept the old-version of the MCAT, most likely a few of them heavily prefer in-state or have some sort of bias - so I just mentioned "reduction of chances" because you'll have fewer schools to apply to.

That said, I think you should be fine - assuming that your ECs and such are good.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I'm trying to figure out what schools to apply to based on the incoming class avg MCAT's and GPAs and it looks like my 3.34 science GPA and 3.3 cGPA is below literally every DO school in the country. Can my MCAT (29 on old--only applying to schools that accept it) which seems above or on average make up for this or do you think I should save my money and not try to apply? I already did a MS program post graduation (3.5 grad GPA)

Your GPAs aren't that bad. It might behoove you to take the new mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPAs aren't that bad. It might behoove you to take the new mcat.

I haven't prepped for an mcat retake at all but out of curiosity I took a full length exam with no practice and scored a 505. Not sure if 3 weeks is enough (or logistically even possible) to prep for this exam

Take your time and kill the MCAT, then apply broadly.

I've got literally the exact same GPA with a 509 MCAT and I'm feeling very confident having applied to 26 schools.

I haven't prepped for an mcat retake at all but out of curiosity I took a full length exam with no practice and scored a 505. Not sure if 3 weeks is enough (or logistically even possible) to prep for this exam

If I were you (assuming you have a job you can stand) I would take the January MCAT and apply early and broadly next cycle. I know that's not what you wanna hear, but a 505 FL with no recent review is pretty good, I bet you could score high if you prepped until January. A solid MCAT score and an early app will get you in next cycle.