IBD and motility fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionFellowship

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are the motility and IBD fellowship program accepting IM residents or only applicants who have completed 3 years of GI fellowship?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think their used to be backdoor motility/hepatology pathway. Don't think it still exists.

From a practical standpoint, it makes no sense to do those fellowships before a general GI fellowship.

I think their used to be backdoor motility/hepatology pathway. Don't think it still exists.

From a practical standpoint, it makes no sense to do those fellowships before a general GI fellowship.

IM2GI: I appreciate your response. I was trying to find out if another option existed for applicants who did not match into GI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the motility and IBD fellowship program accepting IM residents or only applicants who have completed 3 years of GI fellowship?

Thanks in advance!!

For all IBD programs, the preference is to have applicants who have completed GI fellowship. However the interests in IBD after general GI is low so unless its a program at a top institution, it is sometimes filled by those before a GI fellowship.

Motility is a pretty rare program to begin with and if anything is more likely to require a GI fellowship before.

For all IBD programs, the preference is to have applicants who have completed GI fellowship. However the interests in IBD after general GI is low so unless its a program at a top institution, it is sometimes filled by those before a GI fellowship.

Motility is a pretty rare program to begin with and if anything is more likely to require a GI fellowship before.

I feel like if you are going to go through the effort of doing an IBD fellowship, a huge benefit is the endoscopic side of things. Such a waste if you have not already done a general GI fellowship.

I understand most of this is done out of desperation because you did not match, but still seems silly