"I will be attending _________ and turning down my acceptance to _________" 2016-2017 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well now that I'm back home from finals, I can finally mail in my deposit tomorrow.

Attending: Minnesota

Declining: Colorado

Reactions: 4 users
Attending: Columbia
Turning down: Temple, MUSC, Penn, Pitt, NYU

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Attending: University of Michigan

Declining: University of Detroit Mercy, University of New England, Boston University, NYU

How do I decline these schools exactly? Do I just send them an email, or can I just wait until the deadline passes?

Reactions: 3 users

Declining: University of Detroit Mercy, University of New England, Boston University, NYU

How do I decline these schools exactly? Do I just send them an email, or can I just wait until the deadline passes?
Some schools request that you mail in your declination on the sheet they provide, but I'm not sure how many people do that. I'd either do that or send an email.

Reactions: 1 user

One school I interviewed at respects a professional response when declining. They don't get upset you decline at all just be professional about declining.

The admissions member told us a story how a student called to decline so they can go to Harvard and she was like don't be scared,GO TO HARVARD!! So just be courteous, especially if they spent some time extending an offer!!!

Attending:
Pitt :soexcited:

Turning Down:
Temple
MWU- Illinois
WVU
Buffalo
Ohio State
Touro
Tufts

Hope these spots go to some of you guys! :)

Reactions: 9 users

Let them know asap. Some people (not me) are on the waitlist.

Accepted:
Oklahoma

Declined:
UMKC
Creighton
MWU-AZ
New England
MOSDOH

Accepted: Rutgers

Declining: NYU (will call them tomorrow to withdraw) Hopefully one of you gets the amazing email from Dr. Mejia :)

Could I ask why Rutgers over nyu?
First and foremost is the staggering difference in cost (120k/yr vs. 72k/yr in-state). This is a non-negotiable pro for Rutgers. Next would be my preference for a smaller class, which is debatable, and I understand the benefits of scale with NYU, but I prefer the more personalized feel of a smaller group of students. Third of all, the clinics at Rutgers are newer and nicer and definitely not as cramped as NYU. The professors I met at Rutgers were incredibly nice people. (If anyone else here met Dr. Depinto, you probably agree with me that he is super friendly and someone you wanted to get a beer with after the interview) Finally, I get the vibe (again, debatable) that people seem happier at Rutgers. I can't really explain this last one, but I felt like I belonged at Rutgers.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted: Rutgers

Declining: NYU (will call them tomorrow to withdraw) Hopefully one of you gets the amazing email from Dr. Mejia :)
Congrats! The school closes for break at 4 pm today until Tuesday January 3rd so you would be better giving them a call today!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Attending: UConn

Declining: Michigan, Columbia, BU, VCU

Reactions: 7 users
Attending: ASDOH

Declining: N/A

(One and done! Glad I interviewed well :soexcited: )

Accepting: UPenn

Declining: MUSC, Florida

Attending: Nova
Declining: UDM, UPenn

Reactions: 10 users
Just put down deposit for U of Utah, and will decline AT Stills

Declining Detroit in the morning.

Attending: Columbia

Declining: DCG, Meharry, Maryland, Marquette, UConn, Penn

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
Why are you not attending your in-state?

Yeah in-state MUSC is almost the same cost as UPENN (thanks to a small scholarship) and I just liked the school better! Also went to undergrad in-state and I want to try living somewhere new.

Yeah in-state MUSC is almost the same cost as UPENN (thanks to a small scholarship) and I just liked the school better! Also went to undergrad in-state and I want to try living somewhere new.

Why not UF over Upenn since you'd qualify for in state tuition after a year?

I liked Philadelphia a lot more than Gainesville. I just kind of went where I felt the most at home.

Last edited:
Declining: Tufts, LECOM, (still waiting to hear from UAB).
Attending: UF

Question: Will declining a school now bite me if I ever apply for a residency/specialty program/job with the school? It didn't affect me at UF for declining undergrad, but I genuinely don't know / couldn't find how dental school considers candidates in such a scenario. I imagine no, because that's a heck of a lot of applicants to keep track of and they must know "life happens". But I'll shortly be (sadly) cancelling my Penn interview and not rescheduling, and am frightened to cut out future opportunities with them.

Declining: Tufts, LECOM, (still waiting to hear from UAB).
Attending: UF

Question: Will declining a school now bite me if I ever apply for a residency/specialty program/job with the school? It didn't affect me at UF for declining undergrad, but I genuinely don't know / couldn't find how dental school considers candidates in such a scenario. I imagine no, because that's a heck of a lot of applicants to keep track of and they must know "life happens". But I'll shortly be (sadly) cancelling my Penn interview and not rescheduling, and am frightened to cut out future opportunities with them.
As long as you promptly send a short and professional "thanks but no thanks" email to them, it shouldn't matter. They all know how this game works.

Reactions: 2 users
I will be attending Meharry and turning down my acceptance to Howard and Creighton.

Reactions: 2 users
I will be attending:
Penn

I turned down:
UConn
Michigan
Maryland
Case Western
Boston University
Temple

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
After what was by far the most challenging decision of my life,

I will be attending:
University of the Pacific

Declining:
Marquette (In-State)
Minnesota

Reactions: 17 users
Attending:
Stony Brook

Declining:

Rutgers
Virginia Commonwealth
Touro

Reactions: 5 users

I will be attending:

Declining:
Marquette (In-State)
Minnesota
Congrats!!

Last edited:

I will be attending:

Declining:
Marquette (In-State)
Minnesota

How did you come to make such a torturous decision, DMikes?

Attending:
Pitt

Turned down:
UPenn
Ohio State
DCG
Case Western
Temple
Maryland
Rutgers
UNLV
Detroit Mercy

For those still waiting to hear back....so excited for you to get the call you've been waiting for :)

Reactions: 13 users
Attending:
Pitt

Turned down:
UPenn
Ohio State
DCG
Case Western
Temple
Maryland
Rutgers
UNLV
Detroit Mercy

For those still waiting to hear back....so excited for you to get the call you've been waiting for :)
Hello future classmate :hello::D

Attending:
Univ. of Michigan

Declining:
Buffalo
Pitt
MUSC

I will be attending Penn and declining NYU. Waitlisted at Nova and still haven't heard back from Touro since my interview on November 30th for some reason but just emailed both to withdraw my application.

I will be attending the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ASDOH) :)

Hi, how come you chose UNE over Tufts? I'm on the same boat here!

UNE was less expensive and also has the great externship program for the last year of school. It also has a much smaller class size.

Also I would enjoy living in portland a lot more than Boston.

Attending: CU
Declining: UNLV
Cancelling interviews at: UofL, Roseman