"I will be attending _________ and turning down my acceptance to _________" 2016-2017 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Ayeeee, 1 time for the moderators. You guys rockk :love::kiss:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A real grassroots sticky campaign ITT. Good work.

Reactions: 5 users
May I ask why TAMU over the other two? Congrats bt dubs!

I've been really torn up over it, but I think the potential benefits of going to the other schools (campus and technology for SA, facilities, medical center, and easy going nature of Houston) weren't Enth to overcome the benefits from staying home around family and friends.

Plus it's the cheapest of the three schools, has a lot of clinical requirements, and has a large patient base to work on.

At the end of the day, I honestly just chose the school that i was instinctively leaning towards. When I was rationalizing between the three I kept going back and forth, but my gut kept saying Dallas. Plus it has the best cafeteria.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been really torn up over it, but I think the potential benefits of going to the other schools (campus and technology for SA, facilities, medical center, and easy going nature of Houston) weren't Enth to overcome the benefits from staying home around family and friends.

Plus it's the cheapest of the three schools, has a lot of clinical requirements, and has a large patient base to work on.

At the end of the day, I honestly just chose the school that i was instinctively leaning towards. When I was rationalizing between the three I kept going back and forth, but my gut kept saying Dallas. Plus it has the best cafeteria.
Can't argue against the cafeteria.
But incorporating cost of living, is Dallas still cheaper than SA or Houston? I can only choose between TAMU and Houston for now but I agree with going to where friends and family are, thats why I want to hear back from SA so badly

They might be really busy.

I'm going to call in the big guns. @Winged Scapula , requesting thread sticky support please !! Purpose: highly relevant to current cycle & will encourage those on the waitlist as seats become available; good for SDN morale.

Thank you for your consideration.

-Incis

Like I'm not ?

Can't argue against the cafeteria.
But incorporating cost of living, is Dallas still cheaper than SA or Houston? I can only choose between TAMU and Houston for now but I agree with going to where friends and family are, thats why I want to hear back from SA so badly

Well due to SA tuition, Dallas is still cheaper, and when compared to Houston in there city the COL is around the same price I'm pretty sure. Plus I just like Dallas more, I don't have to deal with the CRAZY humidity of Houston.

I hope you hear back from SA!

Reactions: 1 user
What made you decline creighton vs mn? If you don't mind me asking
Good question! One reason is that it is closer to my family as well as my wife's (larger support system). That was an important factor for us in this decision. Another reason is MN's established research program. I have a graduate degree, so it would be nice to utilize that. MN has been in contact with me about it, whereas Creighton just seemed to brush off my interest during my visit. We love Omaha though, and the rentals there are wayyyy cheaper than MSP has to offer! Price differential was discussed as well. It was harder than I expected to choose a school!

Attending: SIU SDM
Turning Down: MWU-IL

Members don't see this ad :)
Attending:
UDM

Declining:
NYU
Indiana
Minnesota
Can I ask why you chose UDM over NYU? I'm trying to make the same decision myself. Feel free to message me privately :)

Thanks for the answer! I'm looking into Creighton vs. a couple other schools, and didn't interview there, so I'm trying to figure out how to decide. I've heard really positive things, so who knows what'll happen haha. MN is awesome (slightly biased as I'm from there) and the twin cities are great for families and couples. Best of luck!
Thank you, noodles! Creighton has an excellent clinical program. You get all your patients from a 3rd year. Also, they are getting a new school set to open our 2nd year, which you may know.

Attending:
UF

Declining:
Temple
MWU-AZ
Western
Lecom
Nova

Good luck guys.

Reactions: 6 users
Attending:
NYU

Declining:
Tufts
BU
Touro

Also Declining Interviews at Maryland and Rutgers

I will be attending UT Health science center san antonio and turning down my acceptance to Texas A&M University College of Dentistry

Hope you are living at home for NYU.[/QUOTE
I wil not be paying for housing, but that did not play a major role in my decision. It was mostly just distance and location. I live in NJ

Reactions: 1 users
Attending:
University of Michigan

Declining:
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Minnesota
Case Western
Midwestern-IL
Marquette

A spartan becoming a wolverine... interesting :p

Attending:
University of Michigan

Declining:
University of Detroit Mercy
University of Minnesota
Case Western
Midwestern-IL
Marquette

Congratulations on your decision to attend the University of Michigan! :) what is your residency if you don't mind me asking?

I will be attending UT Health science center san antonio and turning down my acceptance to Texas A&M University College of Dentistry

You lucky duck.

Attending: SIU

Declining: UIC

Attending:
OHSU

Declining:
Marquette
UNLV
University of Utah

Reactions: 4 users
Attending:
Temple

Declining:
Maryland
WesternU
LECOM

How'd I just discover this now? :poke: Best thread.

Attending: Midwestern-AZ
Turning Down: Louisville
I accepted the offer to Louisville but just recently got an interview at MWU-AZ. So even though I don't officially have a choice (YET), I've been considering pros/cons of each.

What were the big factors that made you choose MWU over Louisville?

My wife has reduced the choice down to living with scorpions or cockroaches. :rolleyes:

Attending:
UCLA

Declining
Iowa
Minnesota
Western
Midwestern

Unfortunately, I can't attend all of them. I really really love Iowa, Minnesota, and Western! All fantastic programs!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Attending:
Alabama

Declining:
VCU
Kentucky

Last edited:
Attending:
Pitt

Declining:
Tufts
MWU-AZ
Maryland
UoP
UConn

Last edited:
If I left a deposit at my state school and my AADSAS status turned to 'offer accepted' will other schools be able to see this? Reason I ask is because I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia, but I put down a deposit at my state school just in case.

If I left a deposit at my state school and my AADSAS status turned to 'offer accepted' will other schools be able to see this? Reason I ask is because I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia, but I put down a deposit at my state school just in case.

Not until early April.

Schools DONT know if an applicant pays multiple deposits? I heard otherwise.

Would you mind telling me why you chose Pitt over Tufts specifically? A private message would work if you don't want to outwardly say! Thanks and congrats :)

Pitt really won me over. Some things I LOVE about them:
  • Decent class size (80) at Pitt.
  • Selectives Program- Pitt really stressed this; their curriculum lets you tailor your dental education to what you want to explore in the field. Selectives are semester-long courses offered in a wide variety of fields. They are clinical as well as didactic. Want to spend time in the AEGD clinic? Take a selective for that. Want more Endo experience? Take a selective with the Endodontics department. Want to practice more CAD/CAM/CEREC? Take a selective for that. Want to graduate with the certification to do moderate sedation? Take a selective for that- usually certification requires CE courses but at Pitt, you can come right out certified to do it. Some students at Pitt take as many as 25 selectives.
  • Additional Educational Opportunities- At Pitt, you can get both your DMD and MPH within 4 years. The MPH does not cost any additional tuition. At other schools, this might be a 5 yr program and MPH costs more. At Pitt, you can pursue the ACT ARCO track, which is a 2 year program that consists of 1-2 selectives every semester that help you become a better educator (you still graduate in the same 4 yrs. This 2-year program is happening alongside your 4 yr dental education). This track is for people interested in potentially teaching in dentistry (can be part-time or full-time). I like how Pitt is committing to growing future dental educators- that says a lot to me, and it certainly was the only school that I interviewed at that emphasized this.
  • The Faculty- I felt very comfortable with the faculty at Pitt. From the start, the admissions people warmly welcomed the interviewees. The lunch with the interviewers was an amazing touch. They have been extremely responsive regarding any questions I had about the program.
  • Students/Alumni- They loved their time at Pitt and would go back immediately. That says a lot.
  • Pitt Culture- Hail to Pitt! The dental school has its own crew team. The whole university rallies together on football days. Lots of sports, lots of amazing dining options. Extremely active non-academic groups (like ASDA) as well.
  • Pittsburgh as a city. Come on. It's just amazing. Low cost of living and so much to do. Yes, you'll be in school, but you'll also have time outside of school. This is 4 years of my life. I'd be happy at Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Attending: NYU

Declining: Touro, Nova, Tufts

Reactions: 4 users
Attending: Buffalo :love:

Declining: NYU and Nova

Pitt really won me over. Some things I LOVE about them:
  • Decent class size (80) at Pitt.
  • Selectives Program- Pitt really stressed this; their curriculum lets you tailor your dental education to what you want to explore in the field. Selectives are semester-long courses offered in a wide variety of fields. They are clinical as well as didactic. Want to spend time in the AEGD clinic? Take a selective for that. Want more Endo experience? Take a selective with the Endodontics department. Want to practice more CAD/CAM/CEREC? Take a selective for that. Want to graduate with the certification to do moderate sedation? Take a selective for that- usually certification requires CE courses but at Pitt, you can come right out certified to do it. Some students at Pitt take as many as 25 selectives.
  • Additional Educational Opportunities- At Pitt, you can get both your DMD and MPH within 4 years. The MPH does not cost any additional tuition. At other schools, this might be a 5 yr program and MPH costs more. At Pitt, you can pursue the ACT ARCO track, which is a 2 year program that consists of 1-2 selectives every semester that help you become a better educator (you still graduate in the same 4 yrs. This 2-year program is happening alongside your 4 yr dental education). This track is for people interested in potentially teaching in dentistry (can be part-time or full-time). I like how Pitt is committing to growing future dental educators- that says a lot to me, and it certainly was the only school that I interviewed at that emphasized this.
  • The Faculty- I felt very comfortable with the faculty at Pitt. From the start, the admissions people warmly welcomed the interviewees. The lunch with the interviewers was an amazing touch. They have been extremely responsive regarding any questions I had about the program.
  • Students/Alumni- They loved their time at Pitt and would go back immediately. That says a lot.
  • Pitt Culture- Hail to Pitt! The dental school has its own crew team. The whole university rallies together on football days. Lots of sports, lots of amazing dining options. Extremely active non-academic groups (like ASDA) as well.
  • Pittsburgh as a city. Come on. It's just amazing. Low cost of living and so much to do. Yes, you'll be in school, but you'll also have time outside of school. This is 4 years of my life. I'd be happy at Pittsburgh.
Awesome! Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I've been accepted there too so maybe we'll be classmates :)

I accepted the offer to Louisville but just recently got an interview at MWU-AZ. So even though I don't officially have a choice (YET), I've been considering pros/cons of each.

What were the big factors that made you choose MWU over Louisville?

My wife has reduced the choice down to living with scorpions or cockroaches. :rolleyes:

I'll PM you!

Awesome! Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I've been accepted there too so maybe we'll be classmates :)

Congratulations on your acceptance- it's a fantastic program. Yes, I think you have some difficult decisions to make.
If you do decide to attend Pitt, let me know. Hail to Pitt!

I accepted my offer at Midwestern-AZ and will be declining my offers from Western, Colorado, Creighton, Marquette, and UMKC. Best of luck!

Reactions: 8 users