I wanna be a zoo veterinary technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureZooVetTech

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I want to be a veterinary technician for a Zoo. Right now I am on my last year of high school. I am planning on going to school to be a veterinary technician since it seems like it would be a good start. What steps would I have to take to become a zoo veterinary technician?

P.s I am fully aware that it will take a lot of hard work and schooling.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I want to be a veterinary technician for a Zoo. Right now I am on my last year of high school. I am planning on going to school to be a veterinary technician since it seems like it would be a good start. What steps would I have to take to become a zoo veterinary technician?

P.s I am fully aware that it will take a lot of hard work and schooling.
In addition to requiring hard work, the jobs are few and far between to begin with. You'd need to become a licensed vet tech, then most likely start in general practice with exotics and work your way in via increasing your experience with exotics AND large animals as well as networking. I suggest you shadow techs at a clinic near you to make sure you can live with general practice just in case being a zoo tech doesn't pan out.

AZVT - Association of Zoo Veterinary Technicians - home is a good resource for ya.