I received a 91st percentile with <6 total hours of studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chizzle Frizzle

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep. You read that right. I don't know if this happens often on here, but if it doesn't I'm as surprised as you are.
I'm absolutely not proud of it, and I definitely don't encourage anyone else to do it, but I started "studying" for the PCAT 3 weeks before I was scheduled to take it. I realized about two days in that I was not going to learn or remember any of this stuff so I gave up. I decided that taking the test might be the wake up call that I need to sit up and study right for the next one if my score ended up being too bad. So I went down, took the test, prayed to God that I'd at least make the 70th percentile (I had decided no matter what, I'm applying with whatever score I get - I didn't wanna wait till next year), and boom, here we are. My scores are as follows:

Biology: 41 (I haven't taken any anatomy, physiology, or microbiology classes so I really wasn't expecting that great in this section)
Chemistry: 94 (This is my major and I thought I had aced it anyways but it was a nice surprise regardless)
VR: 94 (This was surprising because I basically rushed the whole thing, good thing I remembered to triage though, otherwise who knows)
Math: 96 (This was the most surprising as I guessed on about a quarter of the questions)
Composite: 91

So my question now is, does this seem right? I took it today and received my preliminary score as a 91. Is it possible that they made a mistake? I'm hoping not. Also, are the preliminary scores drastically different from the official scores?
Also, do you think schools will turn me away because of my low biology score? It is pharmacy after all, and I would think biology is important.
Also, I didn't get to finish my essay but I got everything done except the last line of the conclusion. Is this included in the composite? Do schools care?

Thanks for reading this :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. You read that right. I don't know if this happens often on here, but if it doesn't I'm as surprised as you are.
I'm absolutely not proud of it, and I definitely don't encourage anyone else to do it, but I started "studying" for the PCAT 3 weeks before I was scheduled to take it. I realized about two days in that I was not going to learn or remember any of this stuff so I gave up. I decided that taking the test might be the wake up call that I need to sit up and study right for the next one if my score ended up being too bad. So I went down, took the test, prayed to God that I'd at least make the 70th percentile (I had decided no matter what, I'm applying with whatever score I get - I didn't wanna wait till next year), and boom, here we are. My scores are as follows:

Biology: 41 (I haven't taken any anatomy, physiology, or microbiology classes so I really wasn't expecting that great in this section)
Chemistry: 94 (This is my major and I thought I had aced it anyways but it was a nice surprise regardless)
VR: 94 (This was surprising because I basically rushed the whole thing, good thing I remembered to triage though, otherwise who knows)
Math: 96 (This was the most surprising as I guessed on about a quarter of the questions)

So my question now is, does this seem right? I took it today and received my preliminary score as a 91. Is it possible that they made a mistake? I'm hoping not. Also, are the preliminary scores drastically different from the official scores?
Also, do you think schools will turn me away because of my low biology score? It is pharmacy after all, and I would think biology is important.
Also, I didn't get to finish my essay but I got everything done except the last line of the conclusion. Is this included in the composite? Do schools care?

Edit: By the way, I'm selling all my materials - Kaplan 2016 book, Dr. Collins 2016-2017 w/ 2017 updates and some Pearson tests for $70 for everything if anyone wants them.
I'm with you... I studied for about 2 weeks for about 2 hours few days a week...got 95th percentile...this test isn't that hard at all if you took these classes and paid a little bit of attention...I think the composite score is all that matters. Essay score is reported separately from your composite score. Best of luck

I'm with you... I studied for about 2 weeks for about 2 hours few days a week...got 95th percentile...this test isn't that hard at all if you took these classes and paid a little bit of attention...I think the composite score is all that matters. Essay score is reported separately from your composite score. Best of luck
For the chemistry potion how did you prepare for that? I'm guessing you pretty much knew everything so you didn't do much

I literally am in tears!!!!!! I don't know how i FAILED my PCAT today and I was getting very high percentiles on the Pearson exams. I dont know what to do!!!!! I am so scared of failing again when I retake it. My whole biology section was literally about the liver and kidney!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I literally am in tears!!!!!! I don't know how i FAILED my PCAT today and I was getting very high percentiles on the Pearson exams. I dont know what to do!!!!! I am so scared of failing again when I retake it. My whole biology section was literally about the liver and kidney!!!

OMG I didn't take the pcat yet but I'm home freaking out!!! I know some people are taking the PCaT today!!!! Come down... it's not easy trust me I know... I took it twice and received less than 30 composition both times. I'm taking it again the 3rd and my last time(hopefully )in October. I've literally been studying 24/7 from the time I wake up till the time I go to bed. If I was taking it today, I would have aced it I've been spending sooo much time on anatomy. If I had all anatomy, I would get in the 90th and above percentile for the biology section. How did you study for your chemistry potion ? How'd you do? Please share. I'm sure you did better than both of the times I took it. Don't stress because it's not good and that was me some years back. If you want to do this again, you'll do great the next time you take it ok?

Omg, I'm so sorry... don't get discouraged though, you can always improve...I had C- in Chem out of high school, B- for orgo 1 and C- for orgo 2... however, I've learnt chemistry in later senior classes...and so PCAT chemistry wasn't bad for me... why do you think you failed? Did you not know the content or did you have trouble with the passages? I think I know exactly which passage questions you refer to and I gotta say that all the answears were in the passage figures and legends, it was more like "can you get information out of these diagrams"...and please, don't be in tears, you can always retake it and do well!

For the chemistry potion how did you prepare for that? I'm guessing you pretty much knew everything so you didn't do much
I did Collins practice exams and I've learnt/refreshed some of the information from those tests... a few questions were basically identical to Collins. But overall it was very basic stand alone questions like nomenclature, and passages, which are not really testing your Chem knowledge but more your ability to analyze given data...OChem portion was very basic...I can't tell the types of question, but if you took ochem, you'd be like "oh, this is the easiest stuff we learnt in ochem class"

Reactions: 1 user
I did Collins practice exams and I've learnt/refreshed some of the information from those tests... a few questions were basically identical to Collins. But overall it was very basic stand alone questions like nomenclature, and passages, which are not really testing your Chem knowledge but more your ability to analyze given data...OChem portion was very basic...I can't tell the types of question, but if you took ochem, you'd be like "oh, this is the easiest stuff we learnt in ochem class"
Thanks for advice and for replying

Edit: By the way, I'm selling all my materials - Kaplan 2016 book, Dr. Collins 2016-2017 w/ 2017 updates and some Pearson tests for $70 for everything if anyone wants them.

Are Dr.Collins still available ?

How long were you studying for?
Did you feel nervous?

hahaha, there is always 1 person who does really well without trying hard. Only happened to me once.... back in grade school.